throwback week

general counsel Guest

Ferter, as long as you are watching the carolina tape...

Ferter, if you are going to watch the carolina tape, please also try to review the critical play in the second quarter where brian young fails to fall on the fumble that was right in his hands at the goal line. I thought that play really changed the game. If they cough it up there and get no points, the momentum swings all the way back to us even though we werent getting td's in the red zone, which ultimately bit us in the butt.

My memory is that i can not believe to this day that young couldnt cover it. Archuleta tried to pick it up and run with it and score a td like he did in the ravens game. Adam really didnt have a shot since the ball bounced the other way. A little luck and the ball bounces into aruchlettas hands and he is gone for a td and we win that game for sure.

general counsel

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: Ferter, as long as you are watching the carolina tape...

Oh man, you had to bring that up....LOL

That was surely one of those agonizing plays that seemed to be governed by the football gods and unfortunately they chose to favor the panthers on that one. I will definately have a look at that as well. It seems like Arch could have grabbed that ball, but just as he was about to do so, Young swiped at the ball and batted it to the ground and the panther player (forget who, I think muhammad) fell on it in the endzone for a td.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Smile Re: Ferter, as long as you are watching the carolina tape...

Ok gc, just reviewed the tape.

I was wrong about who batted the ball. Just as Arch was about to grab the ball and most likely take it all the way, deshaun foster batted the ball away from him and towards the goal line. Young tried to fall on the ball, it was right in his bread basket and somehow he just whiffs on the recovery. It was right in his hands. Then the ball bounces closer to the goal line and the last clear camera shot of the ball shows it short of the goal line. The refs rule it was recovered in the endzone, but there is no clear view of this on replay. The TD is challenged by Martz and it is reviewed for a lengthy amount of time. There is no camera shot to overrule the call on the field of a TD, but there is also no clear view that it was indeed recovered in the endzone. Ruling stands as called.

Note: It was 3rd & goal from the five on that play by the panthers.

Another interesting note on that scoring drive by the panthers. That was the drive where stephen davis breaks off the 64 yard run and pulls up lame with the hamstring injury. Davis broke an arm tackle by polley on that play, but the guy who had the best shot at the tackle and completely whiffed was none other than jason shehorn. If he makes the tackle it is probably only a 15 yard run.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Davis broke an arm tackle by polley on that play, but the guy who had the best shot at the tackle and completely whiffed was none other than jason shehorn. If he makes the tackle it is probably only a 15 yard run.
    I'm sure you can guess how shocked I am at that information.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

thanks for the review ferter. I dont have the heart to ask you about the last play of the game and i wont. I will just live with the belief that sehorn not only should have made the tackle, but that he actually had a shot at the int. At this point, sehorn was such a debacle i would just as soon let him remain in my memory as one of the most destructive rams of all time.

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    there is also no clear view that it was indeed recovered in the endzone.
    That really bugged me whenever I watched the game. I also remember seeing no clear evidence that the ball had crossed the goalline, which made me wonder why it was ruled a touchdown in the first place.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

tanus is offline Registered User

correct me if im wrong, but didnt he end up in the endzone after all the smoke cleared? now, he was most likely down before that, but in order to keep consistency they had to call it like that. either way, that play sucked big time. what really pisses me off is that they got rewarded for a bad play which started with little tipping a pitch to foster. the panthers were just destined to win that game no matter what it seems.