Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: A Few Points That Were Driven Home To Me After Watching The "Game"

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Re: A Few Points That Were Driven Home To Me After Watching The "Game"

Trying Smith on the left might work,as far as SJ this is a tough one.My heart is torn i dont want to see him go but on the other hand i agree with what has been said.He deserves more than what we can give him he deserves a ring.But with that said i wouldnt want to see him go to a team that has a feature back and he basically plays sparingly.He still has gas in the tank more than enough for 2 more quality years if we can surround him with a good offense he needs to stay and we will be fine.I dont want to ride the bench or backup rb because his age when he is still better than many backs in the league currently.I dont even need to defend Sam my take of Sam has been clearly stated on this board numerous time he isnt the problem.Draft Blackmon end of that story.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I have decided that the best thing to do with Jason Smith is move him back to LT.

Some players can switch between LT and RT; others have harder times. Smith might find his niche back on the left side.
    I am pretty sure he moved to RT because he's a good run blocker and a mediocre-to-poor pass blocker and you don't want him on the QB's blindside. So...rams need a left-handed QB and they can move Smith back

The OL may be a part of what gets Spags fired, but it will be the #1 reason Devaney gets fired. Everyone on the OL was brought in by Devaney either through the draft or UFA. Brown and Bell have been big busts in UFA and Dahl being solid doesn't offset the huge contracts given to Bell(until this off season), Brown and Smith.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

we should hire Jack Harbaugh

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    We need to draft Matt Kalil. It's obvious that an offense can not function without at the very least, a serviceable line, and the Rams line is a long way from being serviceable. Blackmon would be great, but could he really have made a difference yesterday? It's a cliche, but it's true, "it all starts up front".
    If the draft order stays as it is now, the Vikings select before the Rams and probably will give Kalil a long, hard look. They're starting Colts cast-off Charlie Johnson at left tackle at the moment after releasing Bryant McKinnie in August.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bradwill View Post
    I am pretty sure he moved to RT because he's a good run blocker and a mediocre-to-poor pass blocker and you don't want him on the QB's blindside. So...rams need a left-handed QB and they can move Smith back

The OL may be a part of what gets Spags fired, but it will be the #1 reason Devaney gets fired. Everyone on the OL was brought in by Devaney either through the draft or UFA. Brown and Bell have been big busts in UFA and Dahl being solid doesn't offset the huge contracts given to Bell(until this off season), Brown and Smith.
    Smith was on the right side because 1) Alex Barron was still on the team and was playing on the left side and 2) Alex Barron is atrocious on the right side.

Smith couldn't really go anywhere else, and was stuck on the right side.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

This "blindside" term is so overrated. For example look at Michael Vick. His by far best lineman is playing at LT (Jason Peters) even though its not his blindside. He plays on that side because typically on 95% of teams the better pass rusher plays at RE, and the better run stop end is LE.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    This "blindside" term is so overrated. For example look at Michael Vick. His by far best lineman is playing at LT (Jason Peters) even though its not his blindside. He plays on that side because typically on 95% of teams the better pass rusher plays at RE, and the better run stop end is LE.
    Yes, teams generally line up their best pass rusher at RDE... because that means they'll be rushing the majority of quarterbacks' blindsides where they're more exposed due to their inability to see the rush coming. That's why left tackles are coveted; they provide additional protection to the QB's vulnerable spot, as most professional quarterbacks are right handed and are vulnerable on the left side of their line where their back is turned. It's not just by coincidence that teams put their best pass rusher at RDE, where he'll be rushing the back of a right-handed QB.

As for your Eagles example, Jason Peters was acquired by Philadelphia in 2009 when Donovan McNabb (right-handed) was the starter and Kevin Kolb (right-handed) was the back-up behind him while Vick was a gimmick. The reason Philadelphia took a flier on Ryan Harris and then moved Todd Herremans from guard to right tackle was to upgrade over marginal starters like King Dunlap and Winston Justice and try to better protect Vick's blindside. If the position was overrated, they'd have no reason to shift. Nor would teams covet franchise left tackles high in the draft or at top dollar on the free agent market.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yes, teams generally line up their best pass rusher at RDE... because that means they'll be rushing the majority of quarterbacks' blindsides where they're more exposed due to their inability to see the rush coming. That's why left tackles are coveted; they provide additional protection to the QB's vulnerable spot, as most professional quarterbacks are right handed and are vulnerable on the left side of their line where their back is turned. It's not just by coincidence that teams put their best pass rusher at RDE, where he'll be rushing the back of a right-handed QB.

As for your Eagles example, Jason Peters was acquired by Philadelphia in 2009 when Donovan McNabb (right-handed) was the starter and Kevin Kolb (right-handed) was the back-up behind him while Vick was a gimmick. The reason Philadelphia took a flier on Ryan Harris and then moved Todd Herremans from guard to right tackle was to upgrade over marginal starters like King Dunlap and Winston Justice and try to better protect Vick's blindside. If the position was overrated, they'd have no reason to shift. Nor would teams covet franchise left tackles high in the draft or at top dollar on the free agent market.
    I worded it incorrectly. Its obviously important, and I was well aware of the fact that teams put the DE on the backside of the QB. But people are so worried about moving a RT to LT because of the blindside factor. If they can block, put em there. If they cant? Get em outta here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12