Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: A few post game observations.....

general counsel is offline Registered User

A few post game observations.....

While i took notes in the form of my usual good, bad and ugly, given that its still preseason, i will present a few short observations and save the full blown good, bad and ugly for the season opener.

I thought Sammy played well, especially when you consider that he had no running game at all and was missing Long and Saffold. I know, he missed an open Britt. Bad miss. But for his first game in 300 days, he made a number of good throws including the bullet for the TD which was perfect. Sammy is obviously going to need an effective running game and we all hope that a healthy offensive line will contribute greatly to that situation, because there were no holes all game running today.

I dont see how Westbrooks doesnt make this team. The guy was excellent again (i think he was the best guy on our team today), and i dont just mean in scrubiny time at the end. Both pass rush and penetration against the run. No knock on Sam who had a sack today, but if it comes down to the two of them, based on what i have seen so far (and i appreciate that there are still two games and plenty of practices to come), i think Westbrooks is the better guy.

Other guys that looked good to me. Quick (excellent going up to get the ball on the long catch, i dont think he makes that play last year), Joyner (who continues to impress me), Reid (who made a number of nice tackles), Bailey, Mo Alexander.

Someone needs to teach Mason how to pass block. Two plays he almost got the qb killed. He cant be in on third down in a real game if he cant pass block. I like him and i am confident he will learn, but he clearly has a way to go for now.

I sure hope the Leg is taking a mulligan for the entire preseason (although my TV was somehow having technical difficulties at the time he missed the fg so i dont know how close it was).

We sure need brockers and laurianitis in the game to stop the run (no surprise there, just an observation)

I was dissapointed that the first team D line didnt get more pressure on Rogers, who looked like he could have ordered a pizza back there. Of course, the effectiveness of their running game and the fact that the gets the ball out so quick sure didnt help. We had some good coverage but he just had way too much time.

I didnt see Gaines today, i dont think he made a play or maybe he wasnt even in the game.

It goes without saying, but our "backup" offensive line isnt very good. Of course, a couple of our "backups" today were playing as starters, but what was on the field for Hill was awful and it went downhill from there. Hooey was about as bad as it gets.

I predict that Cunningham makes the roster over Bayer as the last tight end. I think for that spot its going to come down to blocking and cunningham looks far better in that area to me (bayer got beat a couple of times today as a blocker).

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: A few post game observations.....

Good report... just to confirm E.J. Gaines did not play. I will take Bayer as the last tight end kid catches everything so far. Also thought Cody Davis had a nice bounce back game.
    Randart likes this.

Mikey is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Good report... just to confirm E.J. Gaines did not play. I will take Bayer as the last tight end kid catches everything so far. Also thought Cody Davis had a nice bounce back game.
    I'll join you on the Bayer bandwagon. Davis was good on defense I also think it was a bounce back game for Greg Reid as well. Joyner had his moments as well, I don't know many rookies that would have done more vs Cobb.

Sauceman is offline Registered User

Great writeup. It's probably a good thing you had TV issues, as the kick wasn't even close.

I also missed the first half, or so. How bad was Sam's miss to Britt? What kind of pattern? How open? Video?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Sauceman View Post
    I also missed the first half, or so. How bad was Sam's miss to Britt? What kind of pattern? How open? Video?
    I honestly didn't think the missed throw to Britt was a big deal. It was one pass that flew a few feet over Britt's outstretched hands and out of bounds. More importantly, he didn't let it affect him, and played lights out on the next series.

Britt was wide open running deep down the right sideline. Sam effectively threw it out of bounds. The real issue was that he waited to long to get the ball out. if he throws it sooner, Britt is really completely open. by the time sammy got the ball deep down the sideline, the defense converged a bit and it would have taken a much tighter throw and the ball got too close to the sideline for Britt to make a play. Sammy would be the first guy to say that he needs to make a better throw. If he gets rid of the ball sooner, its a 35 yard gain maybe more.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Mikey and Randart like this.

Mikey is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sauceman View Post
    Great writeup. It's probably a good thing you had TV issues, as the kick wasn't even close.

Britt was wide open, I don't think a db was within 10 yards of him and it looked like Sam let him run more, as the route likely called for. Most of the top QB's in the game would have hit him earlier when he was wide open instead of letting him run further down field. The ball sailed over Britt's wide open self and was incomplete instead of a 20 or 30 yard catch with Britt still haven't room to run.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Simply put, the miss to Britt was bad. Sam was not only late throwing the ball and missed the window, but when he finally did throw it, it was out of bounds and uncatchable. It looked as if he did not recognize the coverage from the corner and failed to adjust to it.

The intermediate throw to Brian Quick was great. What impressed me about that throw from Sam was what I'm going to refer to as the Goldilocks factor. It had to be just right in order for that play to be made. Enough arc to get over the linebackers but not too high that Quick couldn't go up and get it. Sam put the ball right where it had to be, resulting in a big gain. Same for his touchdown pass to Kendricks; right on the money.

The only other throw that kind of concerned me was the third down check down to Stacy on the first drive. The Rams would go on to convert on fourth down on the next play, but when I watched and rewatched the play, I think Sam was about to have Quick open over the middle of the field for a converting catch. I know he's missing some starting OL and is coming off of an injury, but on 3rd and 13, I want him looking down the field more rather than getting back into the habit of checking down.

Overall, I would give Sam positive marks for the game. More good than bad, definitely, and that's what you want to see when he's missed so much live game action and is just coming back.

I don't think you can stress too much about the running game when you've got an offensive line essentially playing three back-ups. If everyone's in the line-up and the Rams still can't gain traction on the ground, then it's time to get worried. But I didn't see much push up the middle from a weak interior, and that has to get better when Robinson shifts back inside and Saffold is back on the field.

I'm going to give the defense the benefit of the doubt and think that the first unit's lackluster performance boiled down to two main points: (1) they were missing two key defensive pieces in Laurinaitis and Brockers, and (2) they probably didn't spend much time making a specific plan on how to defend the Packers' up tempo quick hit offense. Rodgers had no real issue picking apart soft coverages and doing it quickly enough to avoid the pass rush. If the Rams have an answer for that, they weren't giving it away here, which is smart but made for a performance you'd rather forget.

Also, three penalties on the first two offensive drives... let's hope this is just getting back in the swing of things and not a sign that we're going to be putting up with more sloppiness this year. I know the Packers finished the game with more penalties, but that's not the point - I'm hoping the Rams make it a point of emphasis to get better in this area.
    Last edited by Nick; -08-17-2014 at 08:09 AM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

It should not come as a surprise to any of us that we are obviously a team built to run the ball as the key driver of the offense. If we cant run consistently, for any reason at all, we are going to lose a lot of games. If we are going to be in 3rd and 9 over and over we are going to have major problems all year. No way around that one.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

TekeRam is offline Registered User

This is just going to be some of the issues we have all year against some of the spread offenses that we'll see. The one area in which we lack on defense is depth in the secondary. If we're down Jenkins we're going to really hurt in the sub packages and we're just really going to need that front four to get to the QB. Of course, I would expect that the scheme will be rather different in a real game, but we will live and die by our front four all year long.

Good news is, we have a damn good front four.
    I believe!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I honestly didn't think the missed throw to Britt was a big deal. It was one pass that flew a few feet over Britt's outstretched hands and out of bounds. More importantly, he didn't let it affect him, and played lights out on the next series.
    The issue I had on that play was Sam's decision to throw to Britt instead of Cook. He had Cook wide open to the inside of Britt's route. Had Sam not been so focused on Britt I think Cook scores easily. Regardless. I thought Sam played very well.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    It should not come as a surprise to any of us that we are obviously a team built to run the ball as the key driver of the offense.
    I guess I don't fully understand this statement. When exactly did we become a team "Built" to run the ball? Leading into last season all the talk and action was about providing Sam with more fire power. The FA signings of Cook and Long, the drafting of Tavon and Stedman. And I believe they opened the season with a lot of the "no huddle". Then about four games in Fisher decides his philosophy will be run first. Now that's all well and good, but I don't think it is obvious that they built it that way. They also had the opportunity this past draft to take two OL in the 1st round. With the current shape of the OL I don't think that would have been such a bad idea. Right now this OL does not look like it was built to do anything.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    My perspective is Sam needs to take what the defense is giving him. If it was a regular season game, that miss could be the harbinger of bad tidings for Rams since the Packers were moving at will. Some teams will do this. Their offense will be tough to stop and we need to respond.

I was very happy to see SB respond on the next drive and lead the team to a TD. The throw the Kendricks was especially great to see.
    Nick and r8rh8rmike like this.

Curly, i see your point. Let me put it this way. It's clear that as a matter of "philosophy" we "intend" to use the run game as a key driver in our offense. I do think that the drafting of Robinson and the decision to play him at guard, retaining saffold and intending to play him at guard, and the use of a reasonably high pick on Mason, shows a strong commitment to helping "build" the run game.

Right now, the Rams are playing very shorthanded on the offensive line. Let's hope our guys stay healthy because i think just about everyone on the board recognizes that the health of the offensive line is a material risk to this years team. At the risk of repeating myself, if we cant run the ball, and we are in lousy down and distance, we are going to have a very long year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Curly, i see your point. Let me put it this way. It's clear that as a matter of "philosophy" we "intend" to use the run game as a key driver in our offense. I do think that the drafting of Robinson and the decision to play him at guard, retaining saffold and intending to play him at guard, and the use of a reasonably high pick on Mason, shows a strong commitment to helping "build" the run game.

Right now, the Rams are playing very shorthanded on the offensive line. Let's hope our guys stay healthy because i think just about everyone on the board recognizes that the health of the offensive line is a material risk to this years team. At the risk of repeating myself, if we cant run the ball, and we are in lousy down and distance, we are going to have a very long year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Points well taken. Fisher and Snead have made their bed with this roster. Now this coaching staff is going to have to play to the strengths that they have. Personally, I have been vocal for them to build up the OL since the end of last season. Right now this OL looks to be a major weakness. Let's hope it comes together!

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Let's hope our guys GET healthy
    Fixed that for you.

Week 1 vs. Adrian Peterson will amount to a very humiliating home opener if what we have seen so far is any indication of how this group can hold up against the run.
    ram3057 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast