Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: A few post game observations.....

Mikey is offline Registered User

Re: A few post game observations.....

My observation so far is more for Rams fans. Clearly the sky is falling lets just skip 2014 and go on to 2015.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    My observation so far is more for Rams fans. Clearly the sky is falling lets just skip 2014 and go on to 2015.
    To add to this, Ram fans venting their displeasure (IMO) for what they witness on field is not a strange or unsupportive nature.

Rams have been woeful since early 2000's.........43-90......

New owner
    Fisher third year
    Sam 5th year
    OC multiple years in place...consistency
    High..... draft picks...plenty of them

Now, 3 years into the Jeff F / Les Snead era, I certainly have high expectations of what I should see on the football field. I do understand those that feel the passion and are expecting a winner on the field and are not afraid to voice those concerns in a generative manner.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm going to give the defense the benefit of the doubt and think that the first unit's lackluster performance boiled down to two main points: (1) they were missing two key defensive pieces in Laurinaitis and Brockers, and (2) they probably didn't spend much time making a specific plan on how to defend the Packers' up tempo quick hit offense. Rodgers had no real issue picking apart soft coverages and doing it quickly enough to avoid the pass rush. If the Rams have an answer for that, they weren't giving it away here, which is smart but made for a performance you'd rather forget.
    What the Packers did was show how to beat defense where it's strongest point is rushing the passer. Yes we had players not suited up. That said, saying the coverage was soft is understating it. The linebackers were no help. The Rams basically had no answer against the pass or run versus the Packers starting unit. BTW, why wouldn't the Rams spend some time coming up with even a minor plan to defend the Packers? Hopefully you're right and it wasn't a failed plan.

For me Bradford had one lousy drive and one good drive. The first drive they suffered from the familiar Rams play calling of run on 1st down, run on 2nd down, throw a 3-4 yard pass on 3rd and long. The 2nd drive they opened it up calling plays down the field which opened everything up. Bradford is still too slow going through his progressions compared to Rodgers BUT it was his first game in 300 days so he deserves some time.

The Rams starting O graded out a C to me and the starting D was a F. The Packers basically controlled both lines of scrimage. They need to show more urgency or they're going to get off to a slow start in a stacked division.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont agree with the statement that "Bradford" had one lousy drive and one good drive. I think Bradford did fine on the first drive. The Rams struggled on the first drive because they couldnt run the ball at all and our chance to score was killed by stupid penalties. Bradford had a couple of nice throws including a really nice one to cook on fourth down. Bradford is not responsible for run blocking. If you want to put it on the Rams execution, thats fine, i dont see how it gets put on Bradford. I acknowledge that he missed Britt and that was a bad miss, but i still think he had some good throws on that drive and the real issue was our failure to be able to run, which created lousy down and distance situations.

The second drive, Bradford was more than good, he was terrific. He made two great throws, one to quick and one for the td to kendricks. If you want to fault him on the first drive, then annoint him a king on the second drive. That may be a matter of semantics and i am not trying to be critical of your post, only trying to point out that its tempting to put all the credit or all the blame on bradford and neither is fair.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    RealRam and Fargo Ram Fan like this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont understand why anyone thinks the Rams should spend one minute of valuable practice time game planning for a game that has absolutely no relevance in the standings. The coaches evaluate the players completely independent of team results in preseason. The purpose of game planning is to give a team the best chance to win. Why do that when winning is not relevant at this point of the year?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    MauiRam and laram0 like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by General Counsel View Post
    I don't understand why anyone thinks the Rams should spend one minute of valuable practice time game planning for a game that has absolutely no relevance in the standings. The coaches evaluate the players completely independent of team results in preseason. The purpose of game planning is to give a team the best chance to win. Why do that when winning is not relevant at this point of the year?

Ramming speed to all

General Counsel
    You speak well for every NFL coach, amigo (and every other sport too). That's exactly what preseason has always been, and what it has always been for.

Preseason...

It is the one keen exception to Coach Herm Edwards' quaint remark, "You play to win the game".

demiurge is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    You speak well for every NFL coach, amigo (and every other sport too). That's exactly what preseason has always been, and what it has always been for.

Preseason...

It is the one keen exception to Coach Herm Edwards' quaint remark, "You play to win the game".

Agreed.

That being said, if its your inaugural game in your home stadium, you don't want to be annhilated 34-0, even in preseason.

BWAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAH!

*snort*

Oh, ok, I've recovered now.
    RealRam, ram3057, MauiRam and 1 others like this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I dont understand why anyone thinks the Rams should spend one minute of valuable practice time game planning for a game that has absolutely no relevance in the standings. The coaches evaluate the players completely independent of team results in preseason. The purpose of game planning is to give a team the best chance to win. Why do that when winning is not relevant at this point of the year?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I agree that the preseason is to grade players thus deciding who stays and who goes.

My issue with this game against the Packers is this. I want to see Bradford throwing the ball down field more. The dump offs are tiring. What better time to air it out than the preseason?
    ramsbruce likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I agree that the preseason is to grade players thus deciding who stays and who goes.

My issue with this game against the Packers is this. I want to see Bradford throwing the ball down field more. The dump offs are tiring. What better time to air it out than the preseason?
    I would agree it would be nice to see Sam throw it more downfield, but I think we're going to have to find the receiver for that role. For the second week Chris Givens was not good. As I said earlier, he's on his way out of town in my humble opinion.

Quick's catch was great and I hope he's going to have his break-out year this season. Britt also made a nice grab. Even Tavon had a few good catches. I suspect we're going to see a much more explosive offense once the season starts. Explosive in terms of the Rams past few seasons, not the league's.

I agree with GC's comment on Mason's pass pro which was totally missing on Saturday. On 1 play the rusher just moved away from Mason's grasp which was anemic at best. I'm hoping our O-lline plays more this week to give them time together before the season starts.

Thank goodness for the West Texas A&M boys on defense, Sims and Westbrooks. They kept the pass rush going. Next week I hope we see Brockers and JLau back, it's awful without them in the middle.

I'm a bit concerned about Zeurlein. He's hopefully just missing now to get those out of his system. We need his "Greg the Leg" act back for the season.

Overall didn't like the performance except for a few highlights and those mindless penalties keep coming. Fisher even promised to end camp early if the kept it to 7 or fewer. It's got to get better soon. Has anyone else noticed the heavy amount of "hands to the face" calls?

Go Rams!

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Agreed, it's the perfect time. That's why I'm not a fan of Shotty, and honestly I wish we got rid of him before this season, even if it meant Sam B starts over with a new offense. At some point the reason to keep Shotty can't be just to keep things consistent for Bradford and the O. Sometimes change is good, we've seen Shotty, and I just don't think he is the answer. Hopefully this season I'm wrong about him, but I don't think so.

Bradford's miss to Britt was real bad, also as Nick pointed out earlier he missed Quick coming open and ended up checking it down, which I thought was a worse play than missing Britt. On the flip side Sam made a good throw to Quick and a great throw for the TD. Hopefully the light has come on for Quick and he can finally make a difference on offense.

I am concerned about the O-Line and our depth, but it's early so hopefully they come together and gel.

Tre Mason isn't going to see the field much if at all if he doesn't learn to pass block. So I have some concern there because we need him to help Zac as I don't think Benny Cunningham is the answer.

I'm very concerned about Greg Zuerlein. He was in a slump last year and this preseason so far has been awful for him. It's great he's got all the nicknames and can kick the ball a mile, but if he isn't consistent that stuff means nothing.

I'm happy we have Gregg Williams, but I don't like the off coverage the CB's are still playing at times. You have to defend the sticks! Hopefully it's just because it's preseason and he is going vanilla, but if they play that way in the regular season they are going to be giving up a lot of easy yards and first downs, just like we have seen the past few seasons.

Westbrooks makes this team, he's playing very well. Michael Sam hasn't been too bad either. So much for the huge distraction he was going to be. I also like the looks of Joyner!

Hopefully we can get our O-Line settled, get Brockers and JLau back on D, and make some noise!
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    The backhanded compliments about Austin Davis are amusing.

thoey is offline Registered User

Preseason...

Yeah, preseason games are just a glorified practice...

This space for rent...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Preseason...

As an aside, it's funny that people repeat this quote, considering that Edwards' record as a HC was 54-74.

Ram Dragoon is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As an aside, it's funny that people repeat this quote, considering that Edwards' record as a HC was 54-74.
    Great Point made...its nauseating listening to that idiot and Dilfer too considering their "success" or lack there of it.

I believe the Rams have all the bits in place...good to excellent WR {no elite ones, yet}...DEs are ELITE, watching C. Long sniff out opponents' plays...A QB who was a bit rusty at first but came on latter...TE are a excellent and if Schotty can't make use of them, he out to be ran out of the state...the online was reasonable on first team and horrid on second/third team {pause for concern there}. And for a defense as a whole, it was apparent there was no plan nor adjustments.

The thing missing is Attitude. The Banzai, do-or-die passion the defense needs or the O-line for pounding the ball. Sure not having some key starters on the field has contributes, but no team can count on all their starters remaining healthy all season long...someone has to step up and want to make the team

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

The attitude will come out when the games count

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Oh, I'm not sure. To me, the quote stands on its own merit, its own principle, i.e., the GOAL. I don't know what quality of teams HC Edwards had in KC, TB, and NYJ. Again, it's only relative in light of his 'play to win' mantra.

There have been truly great NFL coaches with plenty of losses, albeit the stat does not mar their W/L record ratio. It ends up being a relative number only, especially for those with a long HCoaching career.

Bill Parcells* (Giants, Patriots, Jets, Cowboys) ---- 130 Losses
    George Halas* (Bears) -------------------------------- 148 Losses
    Chuck Noll* (Steelers) --------------------------------- 148 Losses
    Don Shula* (Colts, Dolphins) ------------------------- 156 Losses
    Tom Landry* (Cowboys) ------------------------------- 162 Losses
    Bud Grant* (Vikings) ----------------------------------- 4 Super Bowls, four defeats
    Marv Levy* (Bills) --------------------------------------- 4 Super Bowls, in a row, four defeats
    Dan Reeves (Broncos, Giants, Falcons) -------------- 165 Losses

*. NFL HOF, more for their coaching prowess than for their accomplishments as players.

But one's appreciation of said HCs, even those that fell short of becoming champions, is their glory days. THAT'S where I see the "you play to win the game" ideal fulfilled.

In preseason, it simply does not apply.

Last edited by RealRam; -08-20-2014 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Format

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast