Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: A few post game observations.....

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: A few post game observations.....

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Oh, I'm not sure. To me, the quote stands on its own merit, its own principle, i.e., the GOAL. I don't know what quality of teams HC Edwards had in KC, TB, and NYJ. Again, it's only relative in light of his 'play to win' mantra.

There have been truly great NFL coaches with plenty of losses, albeit the stat does not mar their W/L record ratio. It ends up being a relative number only, especially for those with a long HCoaching career.

Bill Parcells* (Giants, Patriots, Jets, Cowboys) ---- 130 Losses
    George Halas* (Bears) -------------------------------- 148 Losses
    Chuck Noll* (Steelers) --------------------------------- 148 Losses
    Don Shula* (Colts, Dolphins) ------------------------- 156 Losses
    Tom Landry* (Cowboys) ------------------------------- 162 Losses
    Bud Grant* (Vikings) ----------------------------------- 4 Super Bowls, four defeats
    Marv Levy* (Bills) --------------------------------------- 4 Super Bowls, in a row, four defeats
    Dan Reeves (Broncos, Giants, Falcons) -------------- 165 Losses

*. NFL HOF, more for their coaching prowess than for their accomplishments as players.

But one's appreciation of said HCs, even those that fell short of becoming champions, is their glory days. THAT'S where I see the "you play to win the game" ideal fulfilled.

In preseason, it simply does not apply.
    I'm pretty sure the coaches you listed all had winning percentages above .500.

The point is, saying that you play to win is about as profound as saying that the team with more points at the end of the game will emerge victorious.

In reality, there are times when a team holds back. Preseason is one. Another might be a situation in which a team locks in the #1 seed and rests its starters in week 17. Another might be when a team is up 45-0 in the 4th Quarter.

So, yes... you play to win.

Duh.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    When the games count, we'll see what kind of team this is. While we are all anxious to know sooner and are looking for indicators and signs, the reality is, we just don't know how this team will perform until opening day(and beyond) .
    Like it or not, this is the bottom line. Sure, instinctively we don't like losing, but when the real purpose of these games is ultimately an audition for the very few roster spots available, it is far more important that a coaching staff make informed/correct decisions on which players to keep - or not.

I'd love to hear what whiner fans are saying given their team's performance in the first two games ..
    Last edited by MauiRam; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:37 PM.
    RealRam and Rammed like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Maui, you said it perfectly. We all will form our own opinions of what we witness on the field, but the only opinion that counts is that of the coaching staff. While many of us covet Les Snead's job as GM, he in concert with Jeff Fisher will decide whom to cut and whom to add to the roster. As you say, we don't like losing, but this is an audition for many players and its likely to get ugly.

I suspect like myself many of us are expecting a big year and losing any game portents danger. I suggest we calm down and hope we have a healthy 22+ players ready go on 9/7. I personally like to see new players whom we drafted or signed perform well so we add the necessary depth as we are thin in several areas.

Go Rams!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MDE8352gorams View Post

I suspect like myself many of us are expecting a big year and losing any game portents danger. I suggest we calm down and hope we have a healthy 22+ players ready go on 9/7. I personally like to see new players whom we drafted or signed perform well so we add the necessary depth as we are thin in several areas.

Go Rams!
    Verily, "the first wealth is health". -- R.W. Emerson

And yes, GO RAMS!

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Great Point made...its nauseating listening to that idiot and Dilfer too considering their "success" or lack there of it.
    Well, except that Dilfer won a Super Bowl.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123