Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Nick
  • 2 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By bruce4life

Thread: A few thoughts on the run game

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

A few thoughts on the run game

The design of these run plays is not very good. It looks like they are too slow in developing and are often blown up before they start. The defense seems to tee off on most of these runs. That leads me to believe the design is predictable and tipping the defense.

Kendricks often comes in as a fullback on run plays. The guy is not a fullback. He can not block to save himself. He just keys the defense to a run. I think Kendricks is a worse fullback than manu from the martz days.

I don't think this offense will ever consistently thrive. It is poorly designed and poorly implemented by this OC.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: A few thoughts on the run game

My concern is that this organization spent the offseason bringing in pieces to run a high octane passing offense but the coaching staff is still stuck in the old school power running mentality.

This is what Fisher has said since the Thursday debacle: “So we’re gonna fix it as I said (Thursday) night. And we’re gonna have to ... adjust our offensive philosophy to I think what’s probably better suited for us right now — and that’s to hand it off. And then everything else spins off of that.”

Really? You have Sam Bradford at quarterback, traded up to draft Tavon Austin at receiver, and spent big money this offseason to sign Jared Cook, and you think this team's personnel is better suited to run the ball? If the Rams wanted to rely heavily on the run game even without Jackson, then they shouldn't have traded up for Tavon Austin but rather Chance Warmack. They shouldn't have signed a hybrid mismatch tight end in free agency but instead some improved blockers on the edge or a fullback for the backfield.

Obviously the run game needs to improve, but shifting the offensive philosophy towards it? The only time the Rams have looked efficient on offense this season is when they've moved to the no huddle, yet with challenges in front of him, it looks like Fisher is going into his shell of comfort and retreating to the familiar - a pounding running game. How well will the Rams be able to pull this off with weaknesses along the interior of the offensive line and a staple of inexperienced running backs?
    MauiRam, ManofGod and DE_Ramfan like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

citr92 is offline Registered User

having a run game will open up the passing game and vice versa

so when the rams have zero run game....they better be working on it

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Horns View Post
    Kendricks often comes in as a fullback on run plays. The guy is not a fullback. He can not block to save himself. He just keys the defense to a run.
    He can't block as a TE as well, and Cook can't either. I recall a play Mike Mayock highlighted, where Cook lunged at a defender in a feeble attempt to make a block, but barely touched him and then fell down. Too bad Fisher doesn't review film of past games with players, because making Cook watch what he did could actually help him get better. Sigh...........

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Yeah Nick, it does not make much sense. They don't really have the right personnel. They don't have any big blocking TEs. They have no FB. They don't have a big, fast tailback. They don't have a Huge road grading OL and the scheme is not there.

I guess Fisher is having flashbacks to his days under USC mentor John Robinson and the power I formation.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Who can the Rams convert to FB? Thought the Rams needed one last season, they CERTAINLY need one this season...would be helpful if someone on the line could run block but that is too much to ask for from 300pound+ professionals

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If the Rams wanted to rely heavily on the run game even without Jackson, then they shouldn't have traded up for Tavon Austin but rather Chance Warmack. They shouldn't have signed a hybrid mismatch tight end in free agency but instead some improved blockers on the edge or a fullback for the backfield.
    Exactly! Once again a square peg being pounded into a round hole. Never seems to work no matter how many times one trys ..

Rambos is offline Registered User

Even high octane passing offense needs a running game. Aaron Rogers and the packers draft Eddie Lacy. The Falcons went out and added SJ39 to an already high octane passing offense. You need to have a running game even if you pass the ball a lot, we had Marshal back in the day. I don't know if it's the backs or the O line to this point. We have not shown we can run the ball at all even in preseason it showed up.

My guess is it's the O line, we have four backs and not one has had a decent game behind this line. Not sure what can be done at this point. Barrett Jones might be an upgrade at LG sooner or later. Rodger Saffold not sure if he's the answer at RT period. I hope nest year we address the O line with some high picks. We went playmakers this year, time to build a beast of a line now.
    live4ramin and ManofGod like this.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

The line was somewhat better before Saffold checked himself out.
    The break, don't bend offense.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Chris williams been a huge disappointment
    ManofGod likes this.