throwback week

Thread: Field Goal

Field Goal

The St. Louis Rams were aiming to play in a game that was much hyped. And the expected result from everyone was to be a return to glory when a shocking thing occurred: They lost. The New York Giants rose up to the occasion and showed the Rams how to execute a defensive scheme to win. Just flat out pound the quarterback until the ambulance arrives. The result is a Giants win of 23-13 and an overnight stay for Kurt Warner.

Coming into the matchup with the Giants, my assessment was that the offensive line was going to be tested against one of the best defensive fronts in the NFC. And we were not dissappointed by their performance on sunday.

The Giants and Michael Strahan completely limited the Rams in every point of the game. Whether it was forcing turnovers and converting points, to just plain spanking the offensive line and allowing the holes needed to pressure Kurt Warner early and all day long.

The scene on sunday was from a scary horror movie with the ending the same. Someone is going to try to getaway but they die and blood is left splattered everywhere. For Kurt Warner six fumbles,one interception, and a visit to the near by hospital was a similar scene. This after still producing a 34 of 54 for 342 yard day.And Marshall Faulk was just the sidebar cast member with no real role with just nine carries for 28 yards. So who to blame but the director of the horror movie. One Mike Martz.

Can someone please explain to Mike Martz that this is 2003 and not 2002 and as well as letting him know that the preseason is over. What on God's green earth was he thinking when play calling 4th downs. Is he crazy or just asleep? And I have a feeling that some will not agree with my assessment of having this coach held responsible for almost killing his quarterback on this given sunday. The play calling was horrible. And in critical situations he flat out was out coached by Jim Fassel. He can say whatever he wants but the bottomline is , he is not coaching well. This man is a great offensive coordinator but not headcoaching material.

The fourth down decisions throughout the game were very questionable. Examples like fourth and six at the St.Louis 47with three seconds left before the half and no feel goal attempt. And in the fourth quarter on fourth and twelve on the Giants 30 yardline with 5:29 left. He decides pass the ball to Marshall Faulk to the Giants 19 yardline and give the ball back when he could have kick for three points. And once again with 2:26 left in the fourth quarter on fourth and eight on the Giants 24 yardline. Mike Martz decides to throw the ball to Shaun McDonald instead of a field goal try.

On all accounts there was opportunity to score field goals. But his stubborness on believing that his offensive unit can punch it in at anytime is plain dumb. The Rams defensively held their own. He must score points where possible. In the fourth quarter alone, the Rams could have had an additional six points or possible nine if the 47 yard attempt would have been made by Jeff Wilkins. Making the score at the time a realistic Rams 22-Giants 23 or Rams 19 Giants 23.

To top it all off the following quotes were from a coach who was out coached and had no clue about the status of his personel and obviously no gameplan to give his team a chance to win.
    "I thought he played all right." I PUT HIM IN BAD POSITIONS WITH A LOT OF BAD PLAY CALLS."

"I didn't see anything to indicate there was anything wrong with his arm."
    Oh my goodness. Your quarterback was getting clobbered and he admits to witnessing nothing wrong with that. This my fellow Rams fans is what I consider poor job performance. No more second chances. The***** are next. Or should i say we are next. Come week two Mike Martz better have a darn good gameplan because this is a home game and rivalry is thicker than blood. WE DO NOT WANT TO LOSE TO THE ***** AT HOME!!!

The Field Goal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Field Goal-kurtwarner2.jpg  

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Field Goal

Did you write this, Dez? I'm just trying to figure out why an article that seems to have been written after 2003's Week One game is being posted now.

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez
    Examples like fourth and six at the St.Louis 47with three seconds left before the half and no feel goal attempt.
    I'm not looking at the play by play, but if the Rams were facing a fourth and six at their own 47-yard line before the half and were to attempt a field goal, it'd be a 70-yard attempt by my calculations.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Did you write this, Dez? I'm just trying to figure out why an article that seems to have been written after 2003's Week One game is being posted now.

I'm not looking at the play by play, but if the Rams were facing a fourth and six at their own 47-yard line before the half and were to attempt a field goal, it'd be a 70-yard attempt by my calculations.

no it was posted by Oscar F Lopez

THEFIELDGOAL Guest

Hey Nick,
    The article is to remind Kurt Warner of the friendly game that almost ended his career. And to remind fans that the Giants will probably be in our paths if he plays to his potential. The field goal was from the Giants 24yard lline and it could have been made but Martz opted not to go through with it. Thanks