Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    helorm341 is offline Registered User

Re: Fight at the scrimmage

From all the pictures I've seen it looked like more of a shoving match then anything. Doesn't seem like something to worry about.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Let me share a personal story about such altercations and why they should proceed. In 9th grade, I had an altercation with another guy on the team. He wanted to fight and I didn't want to get into trouble with the coach. When he launched at me, I side-swept him, then pancaked on top of him and held him down. As I held him down, someone reached into the back of my pants and gave me the biggest wedgie of my life. I have never been limber enough to be able to twist around and see if I was scarred from the super wedgie.

Finally the coach came over. He told me that if I ever didn't beat the crap out of someone that attacked me that he would make me run twice as far next time. I then ran countless laps with the wedgie ...although each ensuing lap helped to relieve the tension of the bunsplitter.

You don't want our Rams running with wedgies, do you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Ya I'm not worried about the fight but helmets flying can be pretty bad

bigredman is offline Registered User

When I was in camp back in 1979 with the Rams, Jack Youngblood hit me square right in the face mask and knocked me on my butt (I missed an assignment on a pass pattern into the flat I should of covered and he let me know he didn't appreciate it). I saw a lot of fights during training camp that blew up into brawls at times. It's no big deal. You are out there in summer time heat, fighting to make the team or get caught with what you think is a cheap shot. It all gets smoothed out before you hit the showers. However, throwing the helmet at someone is a BS move (or using any weapon otherthan your own fists), and would have been looked upon unfavorably by old school players of my day, as I'm sure it was in this instance.
    Last edited by bigredman; -08-04-2007 at 07:53 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Camp fights can be problematic at times.

For example, when I was a Freshman in High School, I went out for my varsity team. As some of you who have met me know, I'm not a big man. At that time, I was 5'6 and about 140 lbs. I was quick, though, and decided to take a shot at WR/KR.

Well, on my first day of practice, one of the Senior LBs hit me late on a simple draw play. Totally unnecessary, but I guess he was trying to send a message. I, in turn, had to respond, so I put a forearm under his chin-strap and managed to knock him down in the process. We were quickly separated.

After practice, the LB approached me outside the locker room, and was clearly still hot about the on-field confrontation. He pushed me up against the wall, and was preparing to wail on me good. As he swung at me, though, he lost his footing and fell forward into the window behind me. The glass shattered, and cut his throat, killing him instantly.

I tried to explain what occurred to the police, but they wouldn't listen. They were convinced that I had somehow deliberately killed the guy. I was convicted on manslaughter charges, and spent the next few years of my life in prison. The things that happened to me there are so horrible that I, to this day, can't speak of them openly.

The point to this story? Well, I guess the point is that I like making things up, as none of this ever happened. In fact, I played on my High School tennis team, and never got into a fight (though some pretty bad line calls resulted in some heated exchanges at times).

Still, it makes you think.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -08-04-2007 at 08:26 PM.

suhpr3me is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Camp fights can be problematic at times.

For example, when I was a Freshman in High School, I went out for my varsity team. As some of you who have met me know, I'm not a big man. At that time, I was 5'6 and about 140 lbs. I was quick, though, and decided to take a shot at WR/KR.

Well, on my first day of practice, one of the Senior LBs hit me late on a simple draw play. Totally unnecessary, but I guess he was trying to send a message. I, in turn, had to respond, so I put a forearm under his chin-strap and managed to knock him down in the process. We were quickly separated.

After practice, the LB approached me outside the locker room, and was clearly still hot about the on-field confrontation. He pushed me up against the wall, and was preparing to wail on me good. As he swung at me, though, he lost his footing and fell forward into the window behind me. The glass shattered, and cut his throat, killing him instantly.

I tried to explain what occurred to the police, but they wouldn't listen. They were convinced that I had somehow deliberately killed the guy. I was convicted on manslaughter charges, and spent the next few years of my life in prison. The things that happened to me there are so horrible that I, to this day, can't speak of them openly.

The point to this story? Well, I guess the point is that I like making things up, as none of this ever happened. In fact, I played on my High School tennis team, and never got into a fight (though some pretty bad line calls resulted in some heated exchanges at times).

Still, it makes you think.

That did make me think. I was thinking to myself " My God i must pray for this man tonight."

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Avenger, you are one sick individual.

My kinda people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by badmoforamfan View Post
    Have you ever played ball?

Man, don't you have friends that you've got into fights with before?

If you get pushed, push back. As long as nobody breaks their hand or nose I don't think it's an issue. I do find it as a positive. By what I've read the offense had each others backs and the defense was there for each other. That's team work man.
    I agree totally. Fights in the lockerroom/feild are a part of two a days at every level of football.

GameTime is offline Registered User

I think it is all fine, but Richie has to be smart during the season. I love his aggressiveness, but I think other teams are likley to target him in hope of getting a flag.

supachump is offline Registered User

once... while at bandcamp...

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Hopefully they can harness that energy for the regular season.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Great story Avenger....I was buying it ....in the beginning. You make me laugh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HornIt is offline Registered User

This is my first post in this forum, so hello all.

Anyway, I have a bit of a different perspective on this I guess. I don't really have a problem with the idea of a little fighting during a scrimmage. This kind of thing isn't all that unusual.

My problem with it is who was involved, specifically Incognito, and the helmet throwing. Incognito has a history and he's already hurt the Rams with bad penalties at bad times. I don't want to see more of this kind of thing from him.

If it was Marc Bulger, that would be one thing, but the fact that it's Incognito who has a history of not being able to control himself and hurting his team, that's quite another.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    This is my first post in this forum, so hello all.

Anyway, I have a bit of a different perspective on this I guess. I don't really have a problem with the idea of a little fighting during a scrimmage. This kind of thing isn't all that unusual.

My problem with it is who was involved, specifically Incognito, and the helmet throwing. Incognito has a history and he's already hurt the Rams with bad penalties at bad times. I don't want to see more of this kind of thing from him.

If it was Marc Bulger, that would be one thing, but the fact that it's Incognito who has a history of not being able to control himself and hurting his team, that's quite another.
    Welcome HornIt....cool name. I approve.

I agree with you on Incognito. Throwing helmets around is just childish and it shows a lack of control.

I don't mind the players getting into little pushing matches. That is going to happen. It sounds like Incognito started the second round of the fight by throwing the helmet. He needs a good talking to settle him down before the season starts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    Welcome HornIt....cool name. I approve.

I agree with you on Incognito. Throwing helmets around is just childish and it shows a lack of control.

I don't mind the players getting into little pushing matches. That is going to happen. It sounds like Incognito started the second round of the fight by throwing the helmet. He needs a good talking to settle him down before the season starts.
    I think there have already been talking-to's with Mr. Incognito. I think he thinks he's in the right and is not going to change.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast