RamWraith is offline Registered User

Final scoring drive was Rams at their best

Bulger was 9-9 in 12-play stretch
    BY NORM SANDERS
    News-Democrat
    ST. LOUIS - It may not become etched in the minds of St. Louis Rams fans forever, but the game-winning drive to beat San Francisco on Sunday was definitely something special.

The drive began after a stop by the defense, which held the ***** on third-and-1 and forced a field goal by Joe Nedney. That gave San Francisco a 17-13 lead with 3:54 remaining, but it wasn't enough as the Rams came back to win 20-17.

"Basically that was the game," Rams running back Steven Jackson said. "The defense held up their end of the bargain. They held them to a field goal and as an explosive offense, we never felt like we were out of the game."

The Rams took over at their own 20 and a first-down sack by Bryant Young knocked them back to the 10.

Then quarterback Marc Bulger led a surgical strike against the *****, completing nine straight passes with the final one a 5-yard touchdown pass to Kevin Curtis with 27 seconds to play.

Bulger was 9-for-9 for 66 yards at the helm of the 12-play, 80-yard drive. It marked the 10th time that Bulger has directed a game-winning drive in the fourth quarter or overtime.

"We were very confident," Bulger said. "We've done it many times, more here at home than on the road. The line was doing their thing, so I was able to get with the receivers and running backs and say 'Let's go.'"

The drive also had a heaping helping of Jackson, who converted twice on fourth-and-1 plays. Jackson also caught four passes, relieving pressure on Bulger and keeping the drive moving down the field.

Receiver Isaac Bruce had a 20-yard catch and the ***** helped out with a delay of game penalty for not allowing Jackson to get up after a running play.

"We got in some good situations where they thought we were going to pass and we were running the ball, so that worked out good," Rams guard Adam Timmerman said.

Curtis was in on two of the Rams' biggest plays of the game.

With time running out in the first half, Curtis hauled in 27-yard a pass from backup quarterback Gus Frerotte. Untouched by a defender, Curtis scrambled up and got out of bounds to stop the clock with three seconds left.

That set up a 51-yard field goal by Jeff Wilkins that gave the Rams a 13-7 halftime lead.

"Thank goodness no one touched me when I was down on the ground," Curtis said.

Curtis also found a seam in the 49er defense for the game-winning 5-yard TD pass, cradling a low throw from Marc Bulger.

"I was just trying to get inside of the cornerback and Marc kept it low and away in a place where the corner couldn't make a play," Curtis said. "I had a little room and Marc put it right there."

The official reviewed the play, but the touchdown stood.

"When they challenged it I got a little bit worried," Curtis said. "I knew I had it and then I was getting ready to celebrate. I was going to spike it when it got knocked out of my hands."

Rams receiver Torry Holt said the drive -- and the win -- could go a long way toward restoring some confidence for a team that began the day with a five-game losing streak.

"It can go as far as we want it to go," Holt said. "We never felt that we were out of it. We played confidently, we made plays like a confident team should and here we are with a win."

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Re: Final scoring drive was Rams at their best

The thought crossed my mind after the final drive, Bulger and the corps guys went to the GSOT two minute drill on their own, supercedeing the drill we have now, wich is just walking around slowly looking for pockets to put your hands in. This explains Bulgers sudden reserection from the dead.
    Kiss my ass, football gods

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Final scoring drive was Rams at their best

Marc Bulger came through in the clutch.....!!