AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Finally... Mercifully... Hope goes dormant.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one.

When I woke up this morning, happy to know that the Rams would actually be appearing on TV here in the outer rim of the Rams fan world, I allowed myself to think those thoughts.

"A win puts us at 6-6..."

"With a little help, we could sneak into the playoffs and then... who knows?"

Ah yes... the folly of the eternal optimist.

But, as the game wore on, it was obvious. This team is not ready to compete. Not with Marc Bulger on the bench, replaced by a talented, but still raw, rookie. Not with Bruce and Holt gutting it out through injuries that are obviously hindering them. Not with a patchwork offensive line. Not with a defense consisting mainly of underperforming, inexperienced, or uninspired players.

Its time to put hope to rest. For diehard fans everywhere, this is a necessary step. One does not prove himself a loyal fan through unchecked optimisim. The time has come to accept this season for what it is, and channel our hope to the future.

In the months to come we'll debate how to enhance that future, and disagree as to its degree of brightness.

For now, it is time to rest. Ride out the the remainder of the season and look forward to a better day.

For those who don't care how long it takes, the one certainty is that day will most definitely come.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Finally... Mercifully... Hope goes dormant.

Hope for any post-season action did get put to rest with this loss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

It was nice to still have that hope, no matter how remote. Maybe now I can relax a little, but I doubt it.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

well the way I see it is ! That if the FO and the owner have thrown the towell in along with some of the players then maybe we as fans should do the same1 Hey if they don't care if they win then why should we?
    Georgia wake up!

rawkhrdr is offline Registered User

there's always next year guys, it was a rough year for you guys...too many injuries, and to many bad breaks. Hopefully next year you all come back raring to catch us and make our division better.

As for us, on to Home Field throughout the playoffs...

To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Hawk fans deserve some credit here. They recognize that the Rams are having a down year, but will continue to be a rival in the future.

general counsel is offline Registered User

We had very very little chance of beating minnesota on the road next week, even with RamWraith in the stands. This game only accelerated the execution by a week.

We are not even close to a playoff caliber team at this point. Washington isnt very impressive and we were not in the game after the start of the 4th quarter, despite some very very very conservative play calling by richard petty, i mean joe gibbs.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

txramsfan is offline Registered User

It's just been one of those years. All teams go through them, it's how this team responds in the offseason and next year will show if the Rams have "it", whatever "it" is.

First off, the Rams need to let Martz go. Quit fudging around, the players don't seem to be taking Vitt seriously as the HC and with that comes lack of discipline. Find a HC quickly, make your announcement during Super Bowl week and get on with it.

Second, this secondary was decimated with injuries. Losing Butler before the season started hurt, then Fisher didn't seem to have the same season that he had a few years ago. Maybe injuries are starting to hurt his game. Throwing rookies like Bartell out to start is not a good way to solidify your pass defense. Having Furrey playing the best at Safety should tell you where the Rams secondary is currently. Arch has been out with several injuries, but he wasn't stellar in pass coverage anyway.

Third, our O line is young and old at the same time. You can see the confusion in Terrell's and Barron's game play. McCollum really hasn't played that well all year, i.e. the almost safety on Fitzpatrick early yesterday due to a missed assignment.

Fourth, transitioning from a passing offense to more of a balanced attack hasn't been that easy for this offense. I believe the passing game has lost some of it's timing due to emphasis on the running game in practice. This takes time, especially after 5 years of gun slinging.

Just a few notes on what I saw this year. Rest my fellow Ram fans but don't give up. This is just one of those years.