Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tony Soprano Guest

Fire Larry Marmie

Please read this objectively:

Marmie has an excellent reputation in the coaching ranks. For instance, Marmie spent 27 years in the college ranks before being hired by the Cardinals. Despite the fact that the Cardinals defense was never very good, Marmie managed to hang on as a Cardinals coach for eight seasons. These are the same Cardinals who have not had a defensive player chosen for the Pro Bowl since 1999, who "gave" CB Aeneas Williams to the Rams, and who ranked defensively near the bottom of the league during Marmieís three-year tenure as defensive coordinator. The Cardinals ranked 28th in 2001, 29th in 2002 and 26th in 2003.

Now, to be honest, the article was attempting to point out that the Cardinals lacked talent on their defense. HOWEVER, why bring in someone that has FAILED in their previous assignment. It goes against the methods of successful teams. It is counter intuitive because it's crazy on it's face. We did the same thing with Shottenheimer in the secondary. His secondaries were the worst in the league - so bring him in here.

Martz even referred to Marmie's lack of previous success
    when he said, "They didnít lose because they werenít well-coached."

When Larry Marmie took over we were giving up 21 points per game (some we're unhappy with that), this year we are giving up over 32 points per game.
    Marmie is consistent though, he'll notch up another year with his Defense being amongst the worst in the league.

We need a new DEF COORD and (at a minimum) a new Seconday coach.

The DEF coord in Tampa, he's great. Unlikely he'd leave, but it's worth a shot. Maybe he's soured on Gruden. Give him the title of assistant Head coach. He's a candidiate.

The DEF LINE COACH of the Colts John Teerlinck, Offenses don't want to play against his lines. Interestingly, he was with the LA Rams in 1991 (just one season). Here's a link for more information on him:
    http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=coachbio&coach_id=22

From the Redskins (4th in Total DEFENSE)
    Gregg Williams - asst. head coachdefense; born July 15, 1958, Excelsior Springs, Mo. Quarterback Northeast Missouri State 1976-79. No pro playing experience. College coach: Houston 1988-89. Pro coach: Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans 1990-2000, Buffalo Bills 2001-03 (head coach), joined Redskins in 2004.

Here's more information on Gregg Williams:
    http://www.redskins.com/team/cprofile.jsp?id=47

Buddy Ryan's son (a young guy) offer him title of assistant Head coach and a TEAM with AN OFFENSE (Unlike Baltimore):

Rex Ryan - defensive coordinator; born December 13, 1962, Ardmore, Okla. Defensive end Southwest Oklahoma State 1983-86. No pro playing experience. College coach: Eastern Kentucky 1987-88, New Mexico Highlands 1989, Morehead State 1990-93, Cincinnati 1996-97, Oklahoma 1998. Pro coach: Arizona Cardinals 1994-95, joined Ravens in 1999.

and there's more candidiates out there...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Fire Larry Marmie

I agree with your sentiment, but I don't think we're in a position to do anything until the offseason, especially not with Martz on the injured list. We just don't have someone to step up into that role right now, I don't think. And even if we did, you generally don't want to make coaching changes mid season.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

thoey is offline Registered User

Yeah, yeah, yeah. First mission, come 01/02/06. Until then? We are stuck.

But, hey, we might get a good draft position out of this...
    This space for rent...

Tony Soprano Guest

Agreed Nick.

I always look ahead. Buy Winter clothes in Summer, etc.

But for this season, we have to run with what we have. Speaking with fans, many were surprised we ARE dead last in points allowed..

Goes without saying, I wish Martz the best..

Martz has some clout in this league, he's certainly respected as a great Offensive mind. Maybe he could (along with Armey & co) wine and dine some of these established guys and motivate them to leave their current posts to lead our D.

Last edited by Tony Soprano; -10-18-2005 at 02:06 AM.

thoey is offline Registered User

Jimmy Johnson?
    This space for rent...

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Heres an odd thought...hold someone ACCOUNTABLE for jamming this LOSER down the throat of the franchise!?!?

What you propose is like putting a band aid on a gun shot wound. Other than the defense the Rams have NO other issues to be concerned about?!?! We have a LAUNDRY LIST of VERIFIABLE,REPEATED MORONIC MOVES made by the guy who INSISTED on the hiring of his GOOD BUDDY in SPITE of his PATHETIC RECORD!

"Please read this objectively"??

Objective??? I suggest you look the word up.

THEFIELDGOAL Guest

Look everyone. These are the changes made after theVermeil Era. And even though Martz is ill and all. He has made poor decisions on his coaching staff. The facts are explained above with his poor ranking when Marmie was in Arizona. This was the guy to replace Lovie. Please!!!.
    Marc Bulger is a huge player but he getting smacked and trashed weekly is unacceptable. And think this coaching staff does not demand better protection.
    Jamie Martin? My grandmother could QB better. This guy has been recycled more than my Coke cans. He is just ugly. He is worst than Chris Chandler. I personally have a distaste for his presence and he is just flat out ugly. Put in Fitz now. We are better off with a unproven than Martin.
    The running game was ok. But Jackson is not the answer. And the lack of Faulk in the game is just stupid.
    This guy can still play but not with the limited carries.
    Jackson has just not impress me yet. And he does not protect the ball and he seems unfocused on the plays.
    Granted with the receivers out (Bruce )that make an impact. Knowone else has stepped up to make a contribution. This is the lack of confidence in the rookie core.

Tony Soprano Guest

There are other issues (Not as big as the DEF though) and I'm glad to hear your ideas. I just thought we could focus on Defense. We are DEAD LAST in the NFL in Points allowed.

True, I can't explain how Martz thought Marmie was the answer OR why in the hell did they bring in Schotenheimer
    (Green Bay was atrocious under him).. But Martz knows Offense and he knows QBs. How many other teams thought Bulger couldn't carry a clipboard. And Fitzgerald?
    Barron - another success story.

Someone in the ORG did make the right choice on Lovie Smith. Was it Martz?

There's some real talent out there as far as DEF COORDs, and hopefully one will be brought in (not if, but when) and HOPEFULLY MARTZ will let that COORD rule the DEF. Martz needs to be hands off with the DEF.

I know it's not popular here, but I think Coakley and Claiborne have been disappointments. I'm not saying they stink, but it's apparent they weren't the answer. I can't tell you how many times I've seen Coakley taking the wrong angles (unless he's playing out of position to begin with).

We came into the game with Oppossing QBs rating over 100.0 against us (virtually unheard of), well Manning was 105.0 Last night.

And in games against SanFran and Arizona the short pass (linebacker coverage) killed us.. Every QB we've faced has been super efficient against us.

The tremendous QB rating against us and Leading the League in Points allowed are two most telling stats. They indicate our DEF is terrible and all the off-season schemeing and signing flat out failed.

coy bacon Guest

I think until Marmie goes, we will dance on the floor of mediocrity, while held in the arms of Mr. Average. The FO should get rid of him now, go out and spend some bucks and get a proven winner, if possible.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

What is the point in waiting until the off-season to fire Marmie?

Could it be that we might lose a few games? Big deal.

I would do it now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

txramsfan is offline Registered User

The coaching staff is depleted already with Martz on the sidelines so doing it now, although makes sense, really doesn't make sense.

Fargo, you are an interesting clanner I'll give you that.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Marc Bulger is a huge player but he getting smacked and trashed weekly is unacceptable. And think this coaching staff does not demand better protection.
    In the 2.5 games before Barron, Bulger was sacked 15 times. In the 3 full games since(Giants, Seahawks, last 1/2 Titans, first 1/2 Colts), Bulger was sacked only 5 times. The injury had nothing to do with protection, that was Bulger trying to rectify his own mistake. I'd say the protection is light years ahead of where they were just a month ago.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I think Coakley and Claiborne have been disappointments
    I agree that I had hoped for more from Coakley, but as far as Claiborne....Chillar takes his place on Nickel packages, and we've spent most of the last several games in the Nickel (last night being an excellent example). He can't make plays if Marmie doesn't put him in the scheme.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamJackson39 Guest

I agree that I had hoped for more from Coakley, but as far as Claiborne....Chillar takes his place on Nickel packages, and we've spent most of the last several games in the Nickel (last night being an excellent example). He can't make plays if Marmie doesn't put him in the scheme.
    The problem here is this. Coakley is in coverage most of the game. He does not get a chance to be up near the line. Same problem with Claiborne. Tinoisamoa has played well, but Marmie needs to play our LB's closer to the line. We didnt give up a big pass. Great! Too bad we gave up almost 100 yards to James in the first half.

I wouldnt mind seeing a guy like Joe Kines brought into the organization. He has one of the best secondaries in the NCAA and one of the best LB corps. I think it would be a refreshing change.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    He can't make plays if Marmie doesn't put him in the scheme.
    My MLB plays every down. Otherwise he isn't worthy of being an MLB. And frankly, after he got bulldozed at the goal line by James, Claiborne isn't worthy of being an MLB. 6 games into the season and we're back to Chillar, Trev and 5-0? Friggin' pathetic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast