106. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree.

83 78.30%
  • I disagree.

23 21.70%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    RamOfDenmark Guest

Re: Fire Linehan Now?

I would fire him today. Let Haslett take over until a new coach is hired. Go hard after Cowher or Schottenheimer, both are capable of leading this team to great things. Actually I'm warming up more to Schottenheimer now, I was just looking through his coaching resume in the NFL, he has a very solid record of consistent success (except playoffs as we all know), very few losing seasons. And the few losing seasons he's had, he has turned the situations around quickly. Cowher would be a good choice also. I hope we can get a proven guy like that onboard, but even if we can't at this point I would be willing to try someone with less experience (probably not a headcoach rookie though).

Lets put it this way, post the poll in a week or 2 weeks , it will still have the same outcome. Looserham is a rube

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

You have to make a change. Here are my reasons:

1) clearly he has lost the room, just look at Bulger after losehan talks to him

2) his play calling is horrible, i was watching the game last week with a friend (who is a browns fan) and he could not believe some of the calls that were made.

3) He keeps pissing off our star players, is Jackson really going to want to re-sign here next year with him as HC?

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianRamsFan View Post
    You have to make a change. Here are my reasons:

1) clearly he has lost the room, just look at Bulger after losehan talks to him

2) his play calling is horrible, i was watching the game last week with a friend (who is a browns fan) and he could not believe some of the calls that were made.

3) He keeps ing off our star players, is Jackson really going to want to re-sign here next year with him as HC?
    That pretty much sums up why I voted yes. I've been pretty on-the-fence this whole year. I was willing to forgive him time after time. But with the overwhelming evidence (nothing to do with injuries) of the first and second halves of the game, and the fact that it takes some kind of serious problem to have Torry Holt yell at you in the middle of the game. For those two reasons ALONE he should be gone, and thats not even counting the insane play calling.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Actually I'm warming up more to Schottenheimer now, I was just looking through his coaching resume in the NFL, he has a very solid record of consistent success (except playoffs as we all know), very few losing seasons.
    I will agree that Marty had a good, consistant record. But only after he was given a chance to succeed. Since most of you are only willing to give Linehan just two seasons to turn around a losing franchise, let's look at each of the first two seasons of Marty's tenure at each if the teams he coached. And yes, the Rams were a losing franchise when MM left.

Let's see, his team went 12-12 after inheriting the Cleveland Brown job in 1984. He was 19-12 after the first two seasons at KC, and 8-8 in his only one season with Washington. However, he was only 12-20 at San Diego after the first two seasons. And he didn't have the injuries the Rams have had to blame. But regardless, using the rationale that I'm reading in this post, you guys would have had him fired after the first two, and he never would have realized the successful seasons that he did.

And yes, let's not forget Marty's brilliant 5-13 record in the post-season. Marty Ball. You gotta love it. In Cleveland they didn't. In Kansas City they didn't, and in San Diego they didn't.

Look, I have my opinion and you guys have yours, and I respect that. We're all Ram fans afterall, and we all want what's best for the team we support. Heck, I can't say that Linehan will be the next great HC. ...and I've never said that he would. But you can't evalutate him under the current circumstances. It's real easy to call for his head and think that he'll be replaced by someone that will instantly turn this team into a winner. But history says that ain't going to happen. Not with this franchise. It's easy to say "get Cowher, or "get Marty", but do you honestly think the Rams FO will spend the kind of money they'll need to on a proven quality coach? History says they won't. I just don't want to see the Rams get into the new-coach-every-two-years thing, and never turn this thing around.

Oh. If you can't tell, I voted "NO".
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Let's see, his team went 12-12 after inheriting the Cleveland Brown job in 1984. He was 19-12 after the first two seasons at KC, and 8-8 in his only one season with Washington. However, he was only 12-20 at San Diego after the first two seasons. And he didn't have the injuries the Rams have had to blame. But regardless, using the rationale that I'm reading in this post, you guys would have had him fired after the first two, and he never would have realized the successful seasons that he did.
    Yes, but you see, the difference is that Marty has the experience and has the track record in many places. What track record does Linehan have other than having Culpepper throwing to Randy Moss(who knows if that was the play called), and one season with the oh so great Dolphins.

RON RIVERA FOR SOMETHING! I don't care if it's DC or HC... just get him.

Tony Soprano Guest

I can't recall another team begging so outwardly for a New Head Coach.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Yes, but you see, the difference is that Marty has the experience and has the track record in many places.
    The track record of not being able to get along with any FO? I like Marty and if he became the Rams HC I would be alright with it, but let's face it, he would never be able to coexist with Shawgmunt.

Javaman Guest

"Heck, I can't say that Linehan will be the next great HC. ...and I've never said that he would. But you can't evalutate him under the current circumstances."

I respectfully disagree. I think this is an excellent time to evaluate a person's character and I think Linehan quit on his team this year. Hopefully next year will be different, but I am not sure this group of players will forget or forgive him for the year that they have had. Coaches can have losing seasons but they shouldn't quit on their team. Too bad Arkansas didn't want Linehan.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    It's real easy to call for his head and think that he'll be replaced by someone that will instantly turn this team into a winner. But history says that ain't going to happen. Not with this franchise. It's easy to say "get Cowher, or "get Marty", but do you honestly think the Rams FO will spend the kind of money they'll need to on a proven quality coach? History says they won't.
    Right, and on top of whether the front office would spend the money or not the fact is Cowher already said he is sticking with TV for another year, so how is he an option? Marty is already talking with the Falcons, so who knows how much of an option he is. I don't buy John Fox and the gang in Carolina as an option at all, and have stated my reasons why here before. It seems like some people think it's automatic if we get rid of Linehan we will get Cowher or Marty, and I don't see that happening. So who's left?

Oh and just saying anyone but Linehan doesn't fly either.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Linehan is a bad HC. There are plenty of candidates who could be an improvement over him. But, to make it simple... I'd rather have Haslett as HC and a good OC than Linehan at HC and Olson at OC.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Brian Billick
    Cam Cameron
    John Fox
    Chow Norm
    Green Dennis
    Steve Mariucci
    Mike Shanahan

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    But, to make it simple... I'd rather have Haslett as HC and a good OC than Linehan at HC and Olson at OC.
    Av, I agree, but....

I've voted a no, with a clause.

Clause #1; If he has lost the players, and Olsen is to return.

My reasoning?

1) No coach should be judged on his ability to put a team together and pull the strings on the sidelines if half of the team is injuried. The circumstances he has faced in consideration of this aspect of coaching are hurdles that make it an unfair evaluation process.

2) There's a lot to be proven in thirty days.

With that said, I am now willing to acknowledge that SLOP is grounded in some reality, because, fact is, we've won only three games, Linehan is percievably a motivational sloth and these recent ourbursts from players against him do suggest that he is losing the locker room. But moreso, he is losing the veterans.

So it's a no for now, but I'm becoming more open to a new direction (Not Marty, Please) if this turmoil continues and a change is required to prevent mutiny. Thrity days is a long time in football, and forthcoming events may alter my perception.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Brian Billick
    Cam Cameron
    John Fox
    Chow Norm
    Green Dennis
    Steve Mariucci
    Mike Shanahan
    Funny. That list is a knee slapper. Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Linehan is a bad HC. There are plenty of candidates who could be an improvement over him. But, to make it simple... I'd rather have Haslett as HC and a good OC than Linehan at HC and Olson at OC.
    You already know what I will say about Haslett (he hasn't done much as a HC, and I like him as our DC better) and I already know what you will say (better than Linehan) yada yada yada around in circles, but I am completely fine with getting rid of Olson and getting a good OC.

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-06-2008, 10:41 PM