• I agree.

83 78.30%
  • I disagree.

23 21.70%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Fire Linehan Now?

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

Having said that, if you were our GM, and Detroit called offering us Johnson for Holt and you didn't take it, I'd be calling for your head on a silver platter even after the dust is settled on your life.
    But Holt's been injured. Not exactly "fair", is it?

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    When Torry Holt makes a public display of a situation, after all he has went through with this organization the last three years, that says something.

It's Torry "Freakin" Holt. One of the main faces of the franchise. If that statement says nothing then I don't know what does.
    Agreed! I can't believe a few posters are actually starting to compare Torry to TO because of his public outburst - that's bordering on mutiny there as far as I'm concerned

Torry does not yell at Linehan in a nationally televised game just because he lost his head at that moment, he's not that guy. If it was someone else I might have believed that. He has played here for what 9 years, not a single outburst or complaint, Hall of Fame performance, absolute loyalty. He chose his moment. It was a deliberate public statement showing that the players are not behind Linehan, a message to the fans, to the FO, to everyone that the players are not happy with the way things are being managed. If Torry had indeed just said it all in a heat of the moment situation, he would be out here in the media talking down the situation immediately afterwards - but he hasn't commented on the episode at all, and days have passed while it's being discussed in the media. That should tell you something if you know anything about how the PR game is played.

As reported a few days ago, Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce first approached Linehan to suggest some changes in the playcalling to take advantage of what they were seeing, Linehan just turned them down - "you play, I coach" he had no interest in listening to suggestions from 2 of our very best players. Can anyone really defend that as good coaching? At the very least he could have listened to their suggestions and either tried changing his playcalling a bit (what he was doing wasn't working and we're far out of reach of the playoffs. What's to lose really?) or explained why he didn't think it would work. But he just turned them down, and that was the last drop on top of all the previous mismanagement that caused Torry to go public with this.

It is perfectly reasonable for Torry to publicly disagree with our HC in this way and under these circumstances, he has earned the right to do so. Blind unquestioned loyalty does not lead this franchise anywhere we want to go.

Question: Who will be the Rams HC in '08
    Answer: Scott Linehan
    Reason: John Shaw said so

Now with that out of the way......I agree that Linehan needs to go now (which is to say within 30 days). I don't want to agree, but it's a matter of sending a message. It's not fair. It absolutely is not fair to have to deal with a practice squad roster and stay competitive against NFL rosters. However, to the keepers of the checkbook, fairness is as irrelevant as Rosie O'Donnel's personal trainer.

Whatever John Shaw does (or has done) will send a message to somebody. If Linehan is retained, he is giving him a vote of confidence. In essence, saying the organization agrees with and supports whatever Linehan agrees with and supports. If the players are on the opposite side of the table as Linehan (which current instances would lead one to believe), then Shaw and the FO have now told the players, they too are on the other side of the table.

However, if the FO is more interested in showing the players they are with them, it would go a long way to get rid of the man opposed to them.

This, of course, all assumes that the players are turning away from Linehan. Maybe they're not, I don't know. But we are seeing things from certain players that have never been seen from them before.

So if Linehan is gone, then who? Don't bother with a grand search. Ownership will probably change hands at least once next year, if not twice. That change may spark change all the way down the line, so why bother with a grand search when you've got Haslett to fill in.

Now, maybe just maybe, in the offseason Linehan sets down with his lockerroom and says, "I screwed up. I didn't listen to you guys, and that's going to change. Let's fix this together." And that leads to a whole different season next year.

I'm not holding my breath, but stranger things have happened.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

You make a good point HUbison about Haslett. With the potential of an ownership/management change in the next year, he might be the best choice to lead the Rams in 2008.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You make a good point HUbison about Haslett. With the potential of an ownership/management change in the next year, he might be the best choice to lead the Rams in 2008.
    I think Haslett would be a tough sell as far as the fans go.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I think Haslett would be a tough sell as far as the fans go.
    What is there to sell? In this scenario, Haslett is a short term fix while the ownership and the FO gets a face lift. If Haslett does a good job, keep him around. If not, send him on down the road with the rest of the organization.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    When Torry Holt makes a public display of a situation, after all he has went through with this organization the last three years, that says something.

It's Torry "Freakin" Holt. One of the main faces of the franchise. If that statement says nothing then I don't know what does.

My main problem with Linehan hasn't been mentioned yet on this thread I don't think (however, I did turn 44 yesterday so the brain cells aren't as fresh as they used to be). Linehan has consistently coached the Rams NOT to lose instead of to win. Even when the Rams got back some of the talent on the O line, he has maintained his vanilla status. For those of you who enjoy vanilla, have at it. For me, I like the cosmopolitan brand myself.
    1st of all Happy belated Birthday.

Is it possible that Holt was upset with Bulger? Bulger threw into triple coverage trying to hit Bennett. Holt's not going to start yelling at a UNION member and team leader to boot. Is it possible he was so frustrated he just needed to vent. Taking it out on management was the safest way and made the most sense?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    1st of all Happy belated Birthday.

Is it possible that Holt was upset with Bulger? Bulger threw into triple coverage trying to hit Bennett. Holt's not going to start yelling at a UNION member and team leader to boot. Is it possible he was so frustrated he just needed to vent. Taking it out on management was the safest way and made the most sense?
    No, its not possible. Watch the tape.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: You can't be serious

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    Otherwise what? You're going to go on believing that sad sack bullsh*t?

I mean seriously.....did you read what you wrote?

I knew the apologists were going to become overdramatic with the injuries.

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I'm going to do. That is, until you meet the requirements of the challenge I posed to you. You're on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    But Holt's been injured. Not exactly "fair", is it?
    So are you saying, I'd have to call for your head too?

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    Exactly what are you waiting for? Our team wouldn't beat most college teams right now. We are only getting worse. He needs to go.
    Sorry but what? It's crazy what people say when they are drunk.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

You appear to have gotten to a point where your emotions are speaking for you. Never a good idea.

Case in point, we have NEVER had injuries like this before, in fact in the history of the game, I don't know if this has ever happened to a team. If you can name one please feel free to enlighten us all.

Furthermore, your simplistic view of lack of good playcalling, as being the main reason for our downfall futher suggest you are just frustrated. Certainly you would agree that a certain percentage of "blatant lack of good play-calling", has to be lack of execution by the players doesn't it?

Linehan may not be a great coach, but he should at least be given a fair chance at proving or disproving it. Two years, with one of them injury riddled is not enough to decifer anything. I believe the front office agrees, and once you've had a chance to digest this season and look at it for what it was, I suspect you will too, whether you admit it or not.
    OK I will name 1 team. The Washington Redskins. Yes, I said it and if you look at the team injuries you will see they've suffered just as much if not more when you consider the death of Sean Taylor.

So one would probably assume the Redskins suck like the Rams but last I checked they needed 1 win and they're in the playoffs.

The reason I know so much about the skins is I live near DC and I really hate Dallas so I listen to Redskins radio.

IF you question the Redskins injuries I can enlighten you if needed. Just look at Tackle the Redskins have been starting a rookie undrafted free agent? A 3rd string QB and both starting RB's and WR's have been battling injuries all year(IN and Our of Lineups). Washington LB has been in out of the lineup. The Defensive Line and Offensive Line has been juggled very similar to the Rams. Sean Taylor and Carlos Rodgers OUT. Springs and Smoot have battle injuries in and out of the lineup all year.

Considering the death of Sean Taylor I believe the Rams have had a difficult year but the Redskins season has been more challenging yet they've accomplished much more than the Rams. I really regret to say this as a RAM FAN

So are you saying, I'd have to call for your head too?
    Really? That's what you got from that?

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Really? That's what you got from that?
    Actually I'm not sure what your point was.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -12-28-2007 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    OK I will name 1 team. The Washington Redskins. Yes, I said it and if you look at the team injuries you will see they've suffered just as much if not more when you consider the death of Sean Taylor.

So one would probably assume the Redskins suck like the Rams but last I checked they needed 1 win and they're in the playoffs.

The reason I know so much about the skins is I live near DC and I really hate Dallas so I listen to Redskins radio.

IF you question the Redskins injuries I can enlighten you if needed. Just look at Tackle the Redskins have been starting a rookie undrafted free agent? A 3rd string QB and both starting RB's and WR's have been battling injuries all year(IN and Our of Lineups). Washington LB has been in out of the lineup. The Defensive Line and Offensive Line has been juggled very similar to the Rams. Sean Taylor and Carlos Rodgers OUT. Springs and Smoot have battle injuries in and out of the lineup all year.

Considering the death of Sean Taylor I believe the Rams have had a difficult year but the Redskins season has been more challenging yet they've accomplished much more than the Rams. I really regret to say this as a RAM FAN

Yes, as a matter of fact, I would like some enlightenment please.

Research I did showed that Clinton Portis has played in every game this year. That same research showed that Jason Cambell has played in 13 of 15.

Steven Jackson has played in 10 and a half. Bulger 10 and a couple of plays before going out with a concussion. That is a six 6 and a half game advantage for Washington by my calculations.

As for Taylor's untimely death, a team could actually use that as a rallying cry, which is what Washington appears to be doing. So aside from the obvious loss of Taylor, the team has actually prospered in his absence. Challenging...yes. But also motivation that would not otherwise be there.

Bottom line is, I still believe that when it comes to impact injuries, the Rams have suffered above and beyond every team in the league.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -12-28-2007 at 08:29 AM.

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-06-2008, 10:41 PM