• I agree.

83 78.30%
  • I disagree.

23 21.70%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Re: Fire Linehan Now?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Those are not good points at all, because they ignore two very important factors:

1. It was Torry Holt, who has not openly complained about anything in 9 years; and

2. Holt has yet to publicly apologize (which is exactly what he would have done had it been a mere "heat of the moment" incident).
    So Holt is some kind of god who never shows anger, and when he does it is his ultimate judgement? Pa-lease. I know this guy is Mr. Class, but who knows if this is the 1st time he blew up during the course of a game. Just cause it hasn't been on camera? I'm just saying there are reasons why Linehan should be shown the door, but this doesn't qualify to me at least.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I find it interesting that you feel you have the right and ability to label anyone who votes "I agree" on this poll as a person who is "looking for scapegoats" and acting upon "emotions." What makes your opinion so high and mighty that you can assign such a thought process to other people?

Everyone has a right to an opinion on the subject, and I've boiled it down to the most basic question. You obviously don't like the results of the poll, but don't tell us that we are not being thoughtful, rational and analytical merely because we want a change.
    When things are bad, everyone wants a change. It is a natural human reaction. I'm feeling cold, I need to change something to fix it. Well I think we need to rise above our basic instincts and see this to the end. Most just do not like Linehan, plain and simple. And just by going on some of the threads I have seen at clanram, they don't like his lack of emotion on the sideline, his monotone press conferences, his dismissive answers to burning questions. Besides what you think about his character, he does have many faults as a coach.

Playcalling faults, 2nd half disasters seem to be the main problem. I think these two issues are a cause of the wave of injuries, especially to our offensive line. Now before you blow me up avenger, I am saying this is PART of the problem. The other part is his failure to adjust. I see it though that he failed to adjust to the injuries to his team. He called screens and so on to adjust to the injuries, since Bulger had less time in the pocket, but failed. More often then not, the problem was the lack of creative play calling on the field. Part of the problem as well was lack of player execution. Dropped passes, overthrown balls, fumbles, etc seem to be all the rage over here. In the end this leads to coaching, but there is a point when you have to stop looking for a scapegoat and just blame the guy on the field.

I apologize if my points are not well explained, please don't hesitate to ask for any clarifications.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    1st round draft picks on IR

Jason Campbell
    Carlos Rogers
    Rocky McIntosh
    and of course Sean Taylor......
    Well for one, McIntosh isn't a first round pick and he wasn't injured until Week 15. Campbell started 13 games as well before being injured. So simply saying they are on IR without elaborating that they played most of the season is somewhat misleading.

As for the others, Rogers played in seven games, about the same as Hill. Meanwhile, the Redskins other starting corner Shawn Springs played in every game this season though he was credited with only 14 starts. Our other starting corner, Fakhir Brown, missed four games with suspension.

The loss of Taylor from a talent perspective is big, no one can argue that. But on the same topic, no one can deny that the team has rallied behind him emotionally during this last part of the season. That in itself is pretty powerful.

Offensive Line on IR
    Jan Jansen
    Randy THomas
    Ross Tucker
    Mike Pucillo
    This is a better list to compare, because the Rams have major line injuries as well. So let's examine this.

For the Rams, Pace played in one game before being IR'd. Setterstrom played in three, and Incognito played in four. Goldberg was IR'd after four weeks I believe, and Steussie only played in six games because he was injured during preseason.

For the Redskins, Jansen was IR'd after the first week, similar to Pace. Guard Randy Thomas played in three games total, comparable to Setterstrom. Pucillo, a back-up had some injury problems but wasn't IR'd until last week. Tucker was released back in August and wasn't starting, not sure why he's really on this list.

So whereas the Rams lost three starters, the Redskins lost two.

What's important to note here is that Redskins LT Chris Samuels, arguably their best offensive lineman and a Pro Bowl selection this season, has been there and has started all 16 games this season. So has LG Pete Kendall, who was acquired via trade. Center Casey Rabach started and played in 15 games. They also had RG Jason Fabini, who basically filled in when Thomas went down and started every game but one for the remainder of the season.

So right there, three of their five O-line positions have been basically locked down all year with another guy on the right side with 13 starts under his belt. It would seem to me that's vastly different than our situation along the O-line this year.

Portis, Cooley, Moss, and El have played hurt and missed some games due to nagging injuries.
    Portis played in and started every game; Jackson missed four starts and most of the Cleveland game. Not very comparable. Cooley also played every game according to NFL.com; same for McMichael. Moss played in and started 14 games. Bruce played in 14 but started two fewer games. Their other starter - Randle El - played in 15 games with 13 starts. Holt has been hampered with a nagging injury all year but hasn't missed any games. I call that a wash. The only big difference one way or another is at RB, where the Redskins had Portis for four more games than we had Jackson.

The Skins are starting a backup QB
    Didn't we have to do that at some point this season? Frerotte had three starts and significant time in a fourth game - same as Collins. Except we also had to start Brock Berlin for a game as well. Furthermore, Collins is in Washington for the same reason Frerotte is in St. Lous - familiarity with the offensive system. The difference is Collins has been able to succeed for Washington whereas Frerotte has been disappointing behind this carousel of an offensive line.

So really, outside of the actual number of players on IR, I think a closer look at the two situations reveals quite a bit of difference, specifically when it comes to the shape of the line and the RB situation.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Nick nailed it. The number of players on IR argument doesn't always show the whole picture. For example Willie Parker missed 1 full game and most of another game and he is on IR, yet Steven Jackson missed 4 games plus most of another and he wasn't on IR. So who was worse off us or Pit? If you go with the IR theory Pit was, but realistically we were worse off.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

jquarando is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Case in point, we have NEVER had injuries like this before, in fact in the history of the game, I don't know if this has ever happened to a team. If you can name one please feel free to enlighten us all.

The Buffalo Bills? I think they had about 15 or 16 players put on IR and had a back and forth situation at QB. Im not sure if their players on IR were as important as ours but that is always fun to debate.

As for getting rid of Linehan now I voted for Yes. I did this cause quite frankly im scared. Scared of what you might ask me. Im scared that my beloved Rams will move out of STL if he remains the coach. Attendance is starting to plummet and fans in STL, Id hate to say it, wont go to games to see a loser unless the team they are going to root for is wearing red. Im so afraid that I would rather serve Scott up to the gods as a sacrafice rather than weather this storm and let him turn things around.

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The loss of Taylor from a talent perspective is big, no one can argue that. But on the same topic, no one can deny that the team has rallied behind him emotionally during this last part of the season. That in itself is pretty powerful.
    The apologists seriously need to stop using Taylor's death as an "advantage" for the Redskins.

"No one can deny"?

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jquarando View Post
    The Buffalo Bills? I think they had about 15 or 16 players put on IR and had a back and forth situation at QB. Im not sure if their players on IR were as important as ours but that is always fun to debate.

As for getting rid of Linehan now I voted for Yes. I did this cause quite frankly im scared. Scared of what you might ask me. Im scared that my beloved Rams will move out of STL if he remains the coach. Attendance is starting to plummet and fans in STL, Id hate to say it, wont go to games to see a loser unless the team they are going to root for is wearing red. Im so afraid that I would rather serve Scott up to the gods as a sacrafice rather than weather this storm and let him turn things around.

Boy... I guess Leonard Little, Orlando Pace, Tye Hill, Marc Bulger, Steven Jackson, Mark Seterstrom, Ritchie Incognito, Pisa Tinoisomoa, Drew Bennett, Adam Goldberg, Brett Romberg, Fahkir Brown, Todd Steussie, and Dante Hall, all of whom missed significant time this year, must feel like crap, because apparently many Ram fans felt, that if it weren't for poor coaching we would've won the superbowl.

Geez...maybe we shouldn't invite them back next year.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -01-03-2008 at 05:04 AM.

jquarando is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Boy... I guess Leonard Little, Orlando Pace, Tye Hill, Marc Bulger, Steven Jackson, Mark Seterstrom, Ritchie Incognito, Pisa Tinoisomoa, Drew Bennett, Adam Goldberg, Brett Romberg, Fahkir Brown, Todd Steussie, and Dante Hall, all of whom missed significant time this year, must feel like crap, because apparently many Ram fams felt if it weren't for poor coaching we would've won the superbowl.

Geez...maybe we shouldn't invite them back next year.
    Dude dont get so cranky. You just said something along the lines of this never happening in the history of the NFL and all I did was come up with another team that had alot of guys on IR. I even posed the question as to if these guys were as important to the bills as our guys are to the rams. I understand why our team has struggled this season and said the only reason I would vote to get rid of him is cause My team could leave my city simply cause the fans are being told by the media this guy sucks and not to buy tickets. No ticket sales mean no team. Thats all I said and by the way the bills statistically rank around 30 of 32 in overal team performance and you could have used this to back your argument that injuries will drain a team, which I agree with.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Well for one, McIntosh isn't a first round pick and he wasn't injured until Week 15. Campbell started 13 games as well before being injured. So simply saying they are on IR without elaborating that they played most of the season is somewhat misleading.

As for the others, Rogers played in seven games, about the same as Hill. Meanwhile, the Redskins other starting corner Shawn Springs played in every game this season though he was credited with only 14 starts. Our other starting corner, Fakhir Brown, missed four games with suspension.

This is a better list to compare, because the Rams have major line injuries as well. So let's examine this.

For the Rams, Pace played in one game before being IR'd. Setterstrom played in three, and Incognito played in four. Goldberg was IR'd after four weeks I believe, and Steussie only played in six games because he was injured during preseason.

Kendrall

For the Redskins, Jansen was IR'd after the first week, similar to Pace. Guard Randy Thomas played in three games total, comparable to Setterstrom. Pucillo, a back-up had some injury problems but wasn't IR'd until last week. Tucker was released back in August and wasn't starting, not sure why he's really on this list.

So whereas the Rams lost three starters, the Redskins lost two.

What's important to note here is that Redskins LT Chris Samuels, arguably their best offensive lineman and a Pro Bowl selection this season, has been there and has started all 16 games this season. So has LG Pete Kendall, who was acquired via trade. Center Casey Rabach started and played in 15 games. They also had RG Jason Fabini, who basically filled in when Thomas went down and started every game but one for the remainder of the season.

So right there, three of their five O-line positions have been basically locked down all year with another guy on the right side with 13 starts under his belt. It would seem to me that's vastly different than our situation along the O-line this year.

Portis played in and started every game; Jackson missed four starts and most of the Cleveland game. Not very comparable. Cooley also played every game according to NFL.com; same for McMichael. Moss played in and started 14 games. Bruce played in 14 but started two fewer games. Their other starter - Randle El - played in 15 games with 13 starts. Holt has been hampered with a nagging injury all year but hasn't missed any games. I call that a wash. The only big difference one way or another is at RB, where the Redskins had Portis for four more games than we had Jackson.

Didn't we have to do that at some point this season? Frerotte had three starts and significant time in a fourth game - same as Collins. Except we also had to start Brock Berlin for a game as well. Furthermore, Collins is in Washington for the same reason Frerotte is in St. Lous - familiarity with the offensive system. The difference is Collins has been able to succeed for Washington whereas Frerotte has been disappointing behind this carousel of an offensive line.

So really, outside of the actual number of players on IR, I think a closer look at the two situations reveals quite a bit of difference, specifically when it comes to the shape of the line and the RB situation.
    Kendall was added and I believe during the season for depth he did not practice during the off-season with the team.

I do not believe I've said the Redskins injuries were worst or better?
    If I did it was not my intent.

I find it funny that some people actually feel they can and these same people can find a positive from Sean Taylor's death and still cry foul cause the Rams had too many injuries.

Maybe should be asking why are the Rams so banged up and why do the Rams start off so slow with Lineham as the HC???? Most important why is the Rams depth so pathetic??

In Regards to the Redskins my intent was to demonstrate a team that had significant injuries to starters but still found a way to win. Unfortuantely, the Rams could not and the Redskins could. WHeter they're equal in value not sure how you would measure that but they have won with a 2nd string QB, 2nd string SS, a 2nd sting CB, a make shift Offensive Line.... That is the bottom line.

Ramsfan1973 is offline Registered User

I base my opinon to fire Linehan on his play call to spike the ball against the ***** at home while driving for a winning score. There was plenty of time on the clock and this wasted a down at mid field. The end result was two more horrible play calls and a long FG attempt that fell short. The Rams need a hard nosed coach who focuses on the basics. Run with a big back, open up the pass and get a Defense.

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

I find it funny that some people actually feel they can and these same people can find a positive from Sean Taylor's death and still cry foul cause the Rams had too many injuries.
    Yeah, it's pretty messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsfan1973 View Post
    I base my opinon to fire Linehan on his play call to spike the ball against the ***** at home while driving for a winning score. There was plenty of time on the clock and this wasted a down at mid field. The end result was two more horrible play calls and a long FG attempt that fell short.
    Yeah, he choked on the "spike". That loss was the end of the season, IMO.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jquarando View Post
    Dude dont get so cranky. You just said something along the lines of this never happening in the history of the NFL and all I did was come up with another team that had alot of guys on IR. I even posed the question as to if these guys were as important to the bills as our guys are to the rams. I understand why our team has struggled this season and said the only reason I would vote to get rid of him is cause My team could leave my city simply cause the fans are being told by the media this guy sucks and not to buy tickets. No ticket sales mean no team. Thats all I said and by the way the bills statistically rank around 30 of 32 in overal team performance and you could have used this to back your argument that injuries will drain a team, which I agree with.
    Not cranky at all, in fact my post wasn't even intended for you.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    The apologists seriously need to stop using Taylor's death as an "advantage" for the Redskins.

"No one can deny"?
    If you don't think that Sean Taylor's death has inspired the Redskins to close out the season and play better unified inspired football as a team, I'm not sure what to tell you. If you want to look at the effects his death had on the team, let's look at all of them.. not just the one that supports your argument.

For example...

The Redskins have rallied around the memory of one of their most popular players to improbably win four consecutive games, turning a 5-7 season of misfortune and despair into a heartwarming tale of unity and redemption.

Running back Clinton Portis wore a T-shirt with a picture of Taylor on it under his jersey during Sundayís victory against Dallas, which clinched the final NFC playoff berth.

The teamís late-season revival has been attributed in part to inspiration drawn from Taylor. The Redskins surely will be carting along that inspiration to Qwest Field on Saturday, determined to exploit their emotions against a Seahawks team that has no such factor working in its favor.
    http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/243264.html

Am I saying, "Wow it's great for the Redskins that Sean Taylor died?" Absolutely not, and I would be disappointed if my point is being misrepresented into that. But if we're going to examine how Taylor's death affected the team, then you have to recognize the role it's played in their late season run as well as the player they no longer have on the field to help them.

In Regards to the Redskins my intent was to demonstrate a team that had significant injuries to starters but still found a way to win.
    And my intent was to show how their significant injuries were different in comparison to our's, specifically along the offensive line where we experienced more inconsistency and turmoil but also elsewhere such as RB where their starter played in four more games than our's.

So I'm glad we've cleared that up.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

You can say what you want to about rallying around Sean Taylor's death and all that however, to lose a Pro Bowl type player in the middle of the season is extremely tough to replace. Ask the Rams with Orlando Pace going out.

Not saying it can't be done, just saying it's very difficult. Maybe Gibbs was able to coach up his reserves and Linehan wasn't.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

I thought the topic was injuries?

Since when was it an injury to smoke dope???? LOL

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-06-2008, 10:41 PM