106. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree.

83 78.30%
  • I disagree.

23 21.70%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Fire Linehan Now?

I'm all for geting rid of Linehan NOW! I believe the Coach replacement process includes 2 steps. First you must feverantly believe this HC can no longer succeed with your team and second you must have a worthy replacement either in mind or have one that you have spoken with and is ready to accept the position.

When John Shaw made his statements several weeks ago, I believe it was in the environment of not knowing the second part of the process (who can I replace L'han with). Given the current state of coaching vacancies including the firing of Cam Cameron this morning we'll know more over the next few days/weeks.

With our valuable draft picks the decision will be crucial, plus the attraction of coachiing here given our current talent level could make things very interesting. I think our current HC has lost the confidence of his players and that is catastrophic and could mean a wasted season next year while we get back our injured players to see if this guy can coach. IMO, HE CANNOT! No adjustments in-game, disregard of player suggestions on the sidelines and arrogance towards the media when questioned about certain in-game decisions all tell this guy needs to go elsewhere.

As stated much earlier iin this thread, MARTYBALL!

Happy New Year & Go Rams!

PossumBoy9 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    You can say what you want to about rallying around Sean Taylor's death and all that however, to lose a Pro Bowl type player in the middle of the season is extremely tough to replace. Ask the Rams with Orlando Pace going out.
    Just think....if Orlando Pace had died, perhaps Linesham could have squeezed out 5 wins this year.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    You can say what you want to about rallying around Sean Taylor's death and all that however, to lose a Pro Bowl type player in the middle of the season is extremely tough to replace.
    I agree, which is why I said earlier that, "The loss of Taylor from a talent perspective is big, no one can argue that." However, all I'm saying is that if we're going to look at the effect his loss had on the team, let's look at all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    I thought the topic was injuries?
    Primarily, it is. But the discussion is also about finding a way to win when you're missing players, and we were missing our starting cornerback. It wasn't an injury, but it was a loss of a starter that needed to be overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    Just think....if Orlando Pace had died, perhaps Linesham could have squeezed out 5 wins this year.
    You joke about this, yet it was my position that was "pretty messed up," riiiiiiiight....
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Dominating D Guest

[quote=Nick;206409]I agree, which is why I said earlier that, "The loss of Taylor from a talent perspective is big, no one can argue that." However, all I'm saying is that if we're going to look at the effect his loss had on the team, let's look at all of it.

Could you also make a case that a good coach could motivate a team like the Rams. If a team can rally over a death of a player could they not perform at that level for a coach? If yes, then that is the coach this team needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Could you also make a case that a good coach could motivate a team like the Rams. If a team can rally over a death of a player could they not perform at that level for a coach? If yes, then that is the coach this team needs.
    Of course a good coach can motivate a team to play better, but it's not always that easy. Sometimes good coaches have bad seasons and all the rallying in the world doesn't make a difference. Consider that the Redskins were 5-6 prior to Taylor's death; where was Joe Gibbs' motivation then? Look at the season Super Bowl winning coach Brian Billick had in Baltimore. Did Lovie Smith suddenly forget how to motivate his players? The Bears finished with six fewer wins this season than they did last. The point is even the best coaches in this league can have problems they can't overcome. Linehan has said that he needs to do a better job handling adversity. We'll see how he does in '08; hopefully we won't be seeing adversity at the level we've seen it this year though. Because I'm not convinced at all there's ANY coach out there that could motivate his team to overcome that.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-04-2008 at 03:37 PM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

You know I really don't care how many injuries the Redskins, Bills, Jaguars, Bears or anyother team had. After the plague of injuries we had for the 2007 season the law of averages have to be in our favor for 2008.

Playoffs in 2008...no doubt!

PossumBoy9 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    You know I really don't care how many injuries the Redskins, Bills, Jaguars, Bears or anyother team had. After the plague of injuries we had for the 2007 season the law of averages have to be in our favor for 2008.

That's not really rational.

HornIt Guest

That's not really rational.
    Relatively speaking, it is rational. What happened to the Rams this season from an injury standpoint can't be viewed as anything but a complete abberation.

It would be perfectly rational to conclude that an abberation will not become a norm.

bigredman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Of course a good coach can motivate a team to play better, but it's not always that easy. Sometimes good coaches have bad seasons and all the rallying in the world doesn't make a difference. Consider that the Redskins were 5-6 prior to Taylor's death; where was Joe Gibbs' motivation then? Look at the season Super Bowl winning coach Brian Billick had in Baltimore. Did Lovie Smith suddenly forget how to motivate his players? The Bears finished with six fewer wins this season than they did last. The point is even the best coaches in this league can have problems they can't overcome. Linehan has said that he needs to do a better job handling adversity. We'll see how he does in '08; hopefully we won't be seeing adversity at the level we've seen it this year though. Because I'm not convinced at all there's ANY coach out there that could motivate his team to overcome that.
    While I understand your point of view given the insurmountable obstacles that were presented to Linehan this year, I don't agree that there are not other coaches who could have handled things better than Linehan. When you have your top players screaming at you on the sideline and questioning decisions or comments in press conferences, it does not invoke confidence in me toward Linehan. I don't see this team rallying around Linehan really. That bothers me. If we don't get a new coach before next season, I will disappointed. Will I support the team? Hell yes. But a part of me will be sad.

Dominating D Guest

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post

Did we not have alot of injuries in 2006? Maybe it's more than just the law of averages?

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    While I understand your point of view given the insurmountable obstacles that were presented to Linehan this year, I don't agree that there are not other coaches who could have handled things better than Linehan.
    I didn't say other coaches couldn't have handled it better; I said I don't think another coach could have overcame this amount of adversity. Those are two different things, IMO.

PossumBoy9 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    Relatively speaking, it is rational. What happened to the Rams this season from an injury standpoint can't be viewed as anything but a complete abberation.

It would be perfectly rational to conclude that an abberation will not become a norm.
    Relatively speaking....perhaps. There will be injuries, though....no doubt.

I'm really not sure how much of an "abberation" the Rams injuries have been.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Relatively speaking....perhaps. There will be injuries, though....no doubt.

I'm really not sure how much of an "abberation" the Rams injuries have been.
    The Rams finished the season against Arizona with their 18th OL combination. "Abberation" is more than appropriate as a description of the injuries.

PossumBoy9 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    The Rams finished the season against Arizona with their 18th OL combination. "Abberation" is more than appropriate as a description of the injuries.
    How many of these line combinations were simply of Linehan's choice?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

How many of these line combinations were simply of Linehan's choice?
    Choice as in preference? None that I recall. Surely you must admit that the injuries on the OL qualify as an "abberation".

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-06-2008, 10:41 PM