Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Fired offensive line coach calls his dismissal unfair

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Tuesday, Jan. 08 2008

For Paul Boudreau, the end of his two-year tenure as Rams offensive line coach
    came quickly and unceremoniously. According to Boudreau, he was informed of his
    dismissal Thursday evening via a brief phone call from coach Scott Linehan.

Word leaked out Sunday of Boudreau's firing, but the Rams have yet to make an
    announcement. However, Rams president of football operations-general manager
    Jay Zygmunt confirmed Monday that Boudreau will not return next season.

Zygmunt also said that Greg Olson has been informed that he will not be the
    team's offensive coordinator in 2008. Olson is subject to re-assignment with
    the Rams, Zygmunt said, but has been given permission to seek a job with
    another team.

Boudreau, like Olson, was brought to St. Louis in 2006 as part of Linehan's
    first Rams coaching staff.

"The thing that was disappointing to me was four weeks ago, (team president)
    John Shaw said it was unfair to judge Scott Linehan this year because of all
    the injuries," Boudreau told the Post-Dispatch on Monday. "Well, I'm getting
    judged. So what's the difference? I feel like I've been thrown under the bus."

Boudreau, 58, a veteran of 21 seasons as an NFL coach, declined further
    comment. Linehan could not be reached for comment Monday.

In an injury-plagued season, injuries hit the Rams' offensive line harder than
    any other unit. The Rams' five preferred starters on the offensive line missed
    44 of a possible 80 games because of injuries. Left tackle Orlando Pace
    (shoulder), left guard Mark Setterstrom (knee) and right guard Richie Incognito
    (knee) all starters ended up on the injured reserve list.

The Rams used 18 offensive line combinations over the course of the season, and
    there was a time around midseason when four of the top six offensive linemen
    were "street" free agents.

As for Olson, it became obvious that he was on shaky ground as offensive
    coordinator once it became known that the Rams had expressed initial interest
    in recently fired Miami Dolphins head coach Cam Cameron. Cameron has been an
    offensive coordinator much of his career.

Cameron was one of three finalists in 2006 for the Rams' head-coaching job that
    went to Linehan, so he obviously is held in high regard by Shaw, who conducted
    the job search along with Zygmunt.

Cameron runs an offensive system different from Linehan. In fact, Cameron's
    system is more similar to the Norv Turner-Mike Martz system, which has its
    roots in former St. Louis Cardinals coach Don Coryell.

But league sources have told the Post-Dispatch that Linehan plans to bring in
    an offensive coordinator to call plays and run the offense, even if it's a
    different system.

The ouster of Boudreau and potential departure of Olson may not be the only
    staff changes, according to Zygmunt, as Linehan continues to evaluate his staff.

For a while, there appeared the chance that Olson could end up in Buffalo. The
    Bills lost offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild when he returned to the
    college ranks as head coach at Colorado State.

Olson worked for Bills head coach Dick Jauron both in Chicago and Detroit. But
    league sources told the Post-Dispatch on Monday that Bills quarterback coach
    Turk Schonert is in line to become Buffalo's new offensive coordinator.

The Rams' offense thrived in 2006 when Olson took over play-calling duties for
    the final six games. The team went 4-2 in those contests and averaged 27.5
    points and 404 yards per game. Olson stayed committed to the run, with Steven
    Jackson averaging 119.5 rushing yards per game during that stretch.

Even though Olson called plays for the first four games of 2007, team sources
    said Linehan was much more involved in game-planning and the offense in general
    during that stretch than he was after "firing" himself as play-caller in 2006.

As for Boudreau's potential replacement, two highly-respected line coaches
    Hudson Houck (Miami) and Mike Solari (Kansas City) are available as a result
    of staff shake ups with the Dolphins and Chiefs. The Rams, in fact, have
    expressed initial interest in Houck, who worked with Linehan in 2005, when
    Linehan was the Dolphins' offensive coordinator.

Another possibility is Steve Loney, who spent the 2007 season in the college
    ranks as head coach at Drake. Loney worked with Linehan from 2002 to 2004 as
    offensive line coach with Minnesota.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Fired offensive line coach calls his dismissal unfair

Cameron runs an offensive system different from Linehan. In fact, Cameron's
    system is more similar to the Norv Turner-Mike Martz system, which has its
    roots in former St. Louis Cardinals coach Don Coryell.
    This what I have said all along it's not Linehan play calling as much as his playbook, go get Cameron.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Many have said that very thing on here coach.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

John Shaw said it was unfair to judge
    Scott Linehan this year because of all

Can't say I can argue with the man here. They give Linehan and Haslett passes because of the injuries, but then turn around and fired the position coach who lost the most players to injury. This front office is retarded. And how does Olson keep a job with the team?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Another possibility is Steve Loney, who spent the 2007 season in the college
    ranks as head coach at Drake. Loney worked with Linehan from 2002 to 2004 as offensive line coach with Minnesota.
    Why do I get the sneaking suspicion this is our new guy? Him, or some other Linepal instead of a known commodity.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41;207102
    Can't say I can argue with the man here. They give Linehan and Haslett passes because of the injuries, but then turn around and fired the position coach who lost the most players to injury. This front office is retarded. And how does Olson keep a job with the team?[/FONT]
    Hey they had to fire somebody ... right? If they didn't then the front office would be seen as standing pat. They wouldn't fire Olsen, as he and Linny are best "buds" I guess Shaw figures a couple of sacrificial lambs ought to do the trick. Boudreau and Softli. Why Softli you ask ?? He apparently is "hard to get along with." Translation: He actually knows a thing or two about NFL talent and does not suffer fools ... (enter your names of choice here: ________________ _______________) .. easily enough to suit the FO.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

If Cameron ends up as our OC, Houck might be a lock (assuming they had a good relationship at Miami).

Mooselini is offline Registered User

It isnt fair for Boudreau. He should have an excuse...but the FO needs an excuse to keep Linehan. So blaming Boudreau would make sense.

Though this is a typical decision for this team and recent years...we better have someone good replace him.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Pretty lame when you fire the one guy who had to patch together an o-line week after week. Losehan should be ashamed of himself to let his staff take the fall for him being a bad coach. If you can fire the line coach with all the injuries why not fire Losehan. Mark my words on Jan. 8th 2008 keeping Losehan will prove to be a huge mistake. Also if Loserhan hires a buddy to be the o-coordinator again It will be a very long 2008 season. This front office is horrible too by the way. Thay look like complete idiots to everyone in the NFL world right now. For crying out loud there are two great coaches waiting in the wings yet we keep Loserhan because it isnt fair, how pathetic. Forget trying to get an accomplished head coach we want to keep the one we have. So everyone was right the front office is just as bad as Loserhan and they deserve each other. What a great idea they came up with lets fire the o-line coach because of all the injuries but keep Loserhan, nice job front office way to keep us fans interested for next year. I'm sure your season ticket sales will sky rocket now.
    Just Fix It

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, typically assistants take the sword first....then the HC the next year. The turnaround by Vermeil was remarkable but I don't think I see another Marshall Faulk impact type player coming to this team.

Vermeil did have a coaching pedigree of making teams better. Linehan doesn't, which makes what he wants to do in 2008 that much harder.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Pretty lame when you fire the one guy who had to patch together an o-line week after week. Losehan should be ashamed of himself to let his staff take the fall for him being a bad coach. If you can fire the line coach with all the injuries why not fire Losehan. Mark my words on Jan. 8th 2008 keeping Losehan will prove to be a huge mistake. Also if Loserhan hires a buddy to be the o-coordinator again It will be a very long 2008 season. This front office is horrible too by the way. Thay look like complete idiots to everyone in the NFL world right now. For crying out loud there are two great coaches waiting in the wings yet we keep Loserhan because it isnt fair, how pathetic. Forget trying to get an accomplished head coach we want to keep the one we have. So everyone was right the front office is just as bad as Loserhan and they deserve each other. What a great idea they came up with lets fire the o-line coach because of all the injuries but keep Loserhan, nice job front office way to keep us fans interested for next year. I'm sure your season ticket sales will sky rocket now.
    Bingo, It starts at the top. And this comedy act of a FO & Ownership has proven that time after time. And now it looks as Linehan has fit right in with this group. So beware, until there is a complete shake up of this organization we will continue to be the blind leading the blind.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE View Post
    Bingo, It starts at the top. And this comedy act of a FO & Ownership has proven that time after time. And now it looks as Linehan has fit right in with this group. So beware, until there is a complete shake up of this organization we will continue to be the blind leading the blind.
    One of the happiest days in Ram history was the day Carrol Rosenbloom bought the Rams and one of the saddest was the day he died. The Rams really haven't been the same since. Until we get an owner who is driven to make the Rams into a winner again, we'll continue to shuffle along.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I can see how some of the blame is put on Boudreau. Injuries aside, if you can't get the most out of what you have, then your not doing a good job. This goes back to last year, it's not like our O line has been taring it up since his arrival.

Just look at Barron, has he improved? No! ; it's coaching. 18 different line combos? Come on; I'll bet Hanny could have made something out of this mess that is our O line.

It's a start, but they (Linehan) need to find the BEST available line coach out there, not some old pal.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    All I can say to Boudreau at this time is to look on the bright side...At least with Linehan as the HC, you were only thrown under the short bus.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    All I can say to Boudreau at this time is to look on the bright side...At least with Linehan as the HC, you were only thrown under the short bus.
    Man that is funny thanks for the laugh.
    Just Fix It

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)