Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Firing Spags is the wrong call

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Firing Spags is the wrong call

Now before everyone jumps down my throat and says he needs to go for x,y,z reasons hear me out.

Does he have game management flaws? YES. Is he partially responsible for the horrific play calling? YES. Are there things that he needs to change about his coaching style? YES.

But here is what he DOESN'T need to change. The way he manages that locker room. I mean look at how we played yesterday. We could have very easily given up and just packed it in. Instead the team went out there and played their hearts for a guy that could possibly be coaching his last game. What does that say to you? How many games did you watch yesterday where there playoff implications, or through out this year for that matter ,where a player or team just gave up? This team has never stopped fighting for what has been labeled as a "dead man".

We as fans are impatient. We want change and we want it yesterday, anything else is unacceptable. To a certain extent is that understandable? YES. But what we have to remember is that Rome wasn't built in a day. It takes teams time to build a good solid team. Look at the dominant teams in the league right now. Whats the one thing that they have in common? Stability. Whats the one thing that we don't have on this team? Stability. There is constant turn over and change. How can any team be expected to win when ever 3 years a new HC comes in, and every year either the OC or DC gets fired. The Patriots dominate every year because they bought in long term and believed that Bill was the guy, he turned it around, brought in his guys, and makes his SYSTEM work. How can we ever hope to win a season when every 3 years someone new comes in and wipes out the team to fill it up with his guys?

We need to stop flinching and think things out. Let's buy into a long term plan for once. Yes Spags record is terrible. But you know what the record doesn't reflect? How this team is playing for him. When we had Linehan, the team never played this hard for him. No one can expect a good year when 1/4 of the team that is on the active roster was never in camp with us.

In conclusion I think the guy deserves one more year. Let him prove that with time he can do it. And just some food for thought, everyone that's screaming for him to get fired; where was this outrage last season? If it wasn't there and it's merely because of this year, shouldn't it be excused because of the injuries that ravaged this team? I mean think about it for a minute, he went for 1-15 to 7-9 the next season. Doesn't that say something or count for something? I don't care if you had Vince Limbardi, Bill Cohwer, and Bill Billicheck on our sideline this past year. We couldn't have won anything with a bunch of guys that are practice squad on another team.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Firing Spags is the wrong call

I respect your logic, but we travel down this road EVERY year. Year one, it's "well, he inherited another guy's mess, it will take time", year two it's "gotta' have patience, the guy's only had the job one year", year three it's "injuries brought us down", etc. EVERY YEAR we find some justification as to why the job couldn't get done. And no coach with continual losing seasons is going to be rewarded and kept on in the hopes that "the stars will align", "everyone will be healthy", "the schedule will work to our favor" and "past mistakes will be corrected". Unfair? Maybe. But reality in today's NFL.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

talk about pissing into the wind (no offence meant) but Spags is history.

Yes he is a nice guy,

yes his D is looking a lot better, y

es the players like in and wait for the key FACT .............

WORSE HEAD COACH IN RAMS HISTORY!

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

10-38 is fun.
    Fettmaster likes this.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Firing Spags Tomorrow is the wrong call.
    Its late for second guessing, fire this bum now.
    The Crabtree-Fake FG fiasco yesterday, is a prime
    example of Spags and the Rams being asleep at the wheel.
    Its not just the loses, its the embarrasment behind the loses.
    Rams are a joke, lead by two Clowns in Devaney and Spags.
    Nice guys, yes, but The Rams need Results. SPAG~U~LATER!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

I just hope that the next coach can block, tackle and catch the ball better than Spags. I don't hear a lot of talk about teams that have coaching continuity like the Steelers and Packers that seem to do OK. I think that we would be pleasantly surprised how good the Rams can be if we can keep our starters off of the IR and on the field.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Yeah, it was not a good move to fire the worst head coach in team history. Wait, what?
    Tampa_Ram and ManofGod like this.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fearsome foursome View Post
    I just hope that the next coach can block, tackle and catch the ball better than Spags. I don't hear a lot of talk about teams that have coaching continuity like the Steelers and Packers that seem to do OK. I think that we would be pleasantly surprised how good the Rams can be if we can keep our starters off of the IR and on the field.
    You have to have some winning in order to have coaching continuity. 10-38 is just too lousy to show a lot of patience with. HC's that have consistent winners retain their jobs for longer periods of time than HC's that lose a lot. Then you have teams like the Broncos and 9ers going to the playoffs this year with 1st year HC's because they all had a continuity of losing going on before and so they went and got new HC's.
    ramsbruce likes this.

JustinHasAnAxe is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Year one, it's "well, he inherited another guy's mess, it will take time",
    Well, lets see.. HE DID INHERIT THE LEAST TALENTED TEAM IN THE NFL. The same knuckleheads that are giving him a pass for his first year of 1-15 are the same people including it in their argument about his terrible overall record.

year two it's "gotta' have patience, the guy's only had the job one year",
    No one was complaining year 2 when we almost won the division.

year three it's "injuries brought us down", etc.
    Injuries DID BRING US DOWN. Thats not an excuse, thats a fact.

If we flip the rams record for the last two years. 2-14 year two and 7-9 this year no one would have a problem with spags. But everyone got their expectations raised last year and are so frustrated and emotional right now that they want to blame someone.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    Now before everyone jumps down my throat and says he needs to go for x,y,z reasons hear me out.

Does he have game management flaws? YES. Is he partially responsible for the horrific play calling? YES. Are there things that he needs to change about his coaching style? YES.

But here is what he DOESN'T need to change. The way he manages that locker room. I mean look at how we played yesterday. We could have very easily given up and just packed it in. Instead the team went out there and played their hearts for a guy that could possibly be coaching his last game. What does that say to you? How many games did you watch yesterday where there playoff implications, or through out this year for that matter ,where a player or team just gave up? This team has never stopped fighting for what has been labeled as a "dead man".

We as fans are impatient. We want change and we want it yesterday, anything else is unacceptable. To a certain extent is that understandable? YES. But what we have to remember is that Rome wasn't built in a day. It takes teams time to build a good solid team. Look at the dominant teams in the league right now. Whats the one thing that they have in common? Stability. Whats the one thing that we don't have on this team? Stability. There is constant turn over and change. How can any team be expected to win when ever 3 years a new HC comes in, and every year either the OC or DC gets fired. The Patriots dominate every year because they bought in long term and believed that Bill was the guy, he turned it around, brought in his guys, and makes his SYSTEM work. How can we ever hope to win a season when every 3 years someone new comes in and wipes out the team to fill it up with his guys?

We need to stop flinching and think things out. Let's buy into a long term plan for once. Yes Spags record is terrible. But you know what the record doesn't reflect? How this team is playing for him. When we had Linehan, the team never played this hard for him. No one can expect a good year when 1/4 of the team that is on the active roster was never in camp with us.

In conclusion I think the guy deserves one more year. Let him prove that with time he can do it. And just some food for thought, everyone that's screaming for him to get fired; where was this outrage last season? If it wasn't there and it's merely because of this year, shouldn't it be excused because of the injuries that ravaged this team? I mean think about it for a minute, he went for 1-15 to 7-9 the next season. Doesn't that say something or count for something? I don't care if you had Vince Limbardi, Bill Cohwer, and Bill Billicheck on our sideline this past year. We couldn't have won anything with a bunch of guys that are practice squad on another team.
    It says to me that guys were playing for their jobs since they pretty much knew the current regime is gone.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Dude someone's got to be held accountable. Look at the Seahags. They struggled with injuries. But they still won games.

Just because you're hired as a coach in the NFL that doesn't mean you get a solid career out of it with pension and retirement. You're payed to do a job and spags wasn't doing it. And he payed the piper for it.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    It says to me that guys were playing for their jobs since they pretty much knew the current regime is gone.
    +1

Ahhh...the ring of truth; how refreshing!!
    ramsbruce likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Its also a fact that the Jacksonville Jaguars had more injuries in their defense than the Rams this season. Yet their defense has played great football this season, in similarly awful circumstance's.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -01-02-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    ManofGod likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think it's the right call... his record was terrible. In game decisions where and halftime adjustments where also very poor. He's a players coach that is about it.

Even when you just look at what he does best and that's coach the defense it was terrible.

(Before Spags)
    2008 - 32nd overall, 32nd passing, 29th rushing

(With Spags)

2009 - 32nd, 32nd, 25th
    2010 - 30th, 27th, 31st
    2011 - 32nd, 31st, 32nd

Trevor is offline Registered User

As of like an hour ago, Kroenke thought firing spags was the right call.
    RamDez and THOLTFAN81 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast