RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

First sack offers little consolation for rookie Long

First sack offers little consolation for rookie Long
    Top draft pick was filling in for Little at left end
    BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS --Rookie defensive end Chris Long was more relieved than excited about getting his first NFL sack.

Long sacked New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning in the second quarter of the St. Louis Rams' 41-13 loss on Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome.

"It felt good to get that monkey off my back," Long said. "A lot of people judge things by statistics. I can't get caught up in that. I just have to improve, improve, improve."

Long, the second overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, also had four tackles playing mostly at left defensive end in place of an injured Leonard Little.

"It's fun," Long said of being a starter in the NFL. "I get to go against (Philadelphia Eagles left tackle) Tra Thomas, I get to go against the Giants' entire offensive line, Brandon Jacobs, Eli Manning, all the guys I have been watching on TV I get to battle it out with."

Long wasn't as happy about the Rams' loss to the Giants or their 0-2 record.

"It sucks," Long said. "I speak for everybody in this locker room when I say no one takes any satisfaction in hanging in there for there quarters with these guys.

"We're 0-2, it's not the end of the world. But, we can't be satisfied with any facet of the game today."

Georgia on my mind

The heavy rain that fell Sunday morning caused the cancellation of the dedication ceremony for the naming of the street at Sixth and Convention outside the Edward Jones Dome as "Georgia's Way."

Rams late owner Georgia Frontiere was honored with testimonials on the scoreboard during the game from Dick Vermeil, Orlando Pace and others.

There also was a video tribute to Frontiere on the scoreboard, and Charles Glenn, joined by local choirs, performed the song, "Georgia on My Mind," during a halftime ceremony.

The memorial activities will conclude with a dinner and auction tonight at Rams Park, and a celebrity golf tournament, "Georgia's Drive Fore the Kids" on Tuesday at Fox Run.

Both events will benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Quick hits

Rookie wide receiver Donnie Avery saw his first NFL action after missing the team's season opener last week because of a sprained MCL in his knee.

Avery had a 21-yard kickoff return in the fourth quarter.

• Wide receiver Eddie Kennison, who was signed Tuesday, was among the Rams' inactives. Also inactive were running back Brian Leonard, guard Jacob Bell, Bennett, defensive end Leonard Little, guard Roy Schuening, safety Brannon Condron and third-string quarterback Brock Berlin.

Leonard (shoulder), Bell (hamstring), Little (hamstring) and Bennett (foot) are nursing injuries.

• Middle linebacker Will Witherspoon had a team-high seven tackles according to the press box statistics.

• Dane Looker, who has caught only six passes over the two previous seasons with the Rams, started at wide receiver in place of Bennett. He had two catches for 29 yards.

• The Rams have allowed 10 sacks in two games. That puts them on pace for a team-record 80 sacks this season.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Re: First sack offers little consolation for rookie Long

I love Chris Long

TekeRam is offline Registered User

As was stated in another thread, he seemed to be maturing as we watched in the dome yesterday. He kept getting closer and closer and breaking his blocks and finally he broke one and found himself right there at Eli and took him down. Chris will be something special and I'm a little raspy today from screaming for him so much yesterday.

He tried to sneak out the side exit that I was camping out at after the game, but thanks to a heads up by OldSchool, he and I were able to get his autograph. He seemed bummed and just wanting to get out of there, which is understandable, but at least he signed our hat/jersey as opposed to blowing us off.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    As was stated in another thread, he seemed to be maturing as we watched in the dome yesterday. He kept getting closer and closer and breaking his blocks and finally he broke one and found himself right there at Eli and took him down. Chris will be something special and I'm a little raspy today from screaming for him so much yesterday.

He tried to sneak out the side exit that I was camping out at after the game, but thanks to a heads up by OldSchool, he and I were able to get his autograph. He seemed bummed and just wanting to get out of there, which is understandable, but at least he signed our hat/jersey as opposed to blowing us off.
    I didn't realize you were a stalker. I like the guy also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Long is a very special character. I knew that his sack would come in this game and I believe that he will in fact "improve, improve, improve" weekly.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

He is one of the few guys on this team with any desire or heart and it shows on the field. Maybe some old dogs could learn something from this kid.

Frito is offline Registered User

I Believe in this player, I believe he is a winner.

eldfan is offline Registered User

"It felt good to get that monkey off my back," Long said. "A lot of people judge things by statistics. I can't get caught up in that. I just have to improve, improve, improve.

You don't have to worry about his internal fortitude.
    :ramlogo:

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

I didn't realize you were a stalker. I like the guy also.
    I was actually the stalker, Teke just happened to be a beneficiary of it...
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

you cant help but love the young man...im proud to say he`s a Ram!

sig51 is offline Registered User

Yeah, I agree he's the bright spot of the team, I think he's a winner, and understands what required to be a great player in this league, and he isn't a cocky son of a gun like that merriman tosser out in san diego.