live4ramin is offline Registered User

First Things First

We have needs - and alot of them. We're holding our breath for a franchise receiver to fall into our laps, singlehandedly fixing a boxed-in, 2.2 yard per play, go nowhere, never catch up, sorry excuse for an offense.

We have a potential star quarterback who never has time; a workhorse, stud of a running back who is constantly asked to carry the team on his back who can't breakout; and a young, learning, blooded line whom need only one more piece.

See where I'm going?

If Jones is there take him. If he's not, it could be a subtle blessing.

I'm not a draftnik. I'm not intrigued by menuevering to obtain unknown vessels. But I do know we are a guard away from unlocking this team.

Granted, it's a weak class for guards, but Pouncey's down there. One guy will get us one more touchdown a game. Spags then can fill up on defense and we have our trenches set with a bench to boot.

Go down and get Pouncey.
    Last edited by live4ramin; -03-27-2011 at 03:44 PM.

"The horror"

thermobee is offline Registered User

Re: First Things First

I totally agree with you. If Jones is there pick take him because he is a game changer BUT this team has other needs and there are many WRs that can be picked later in the draft. If we get another dynamic DE and he pans out right away, it will make our defense so much better immediately. If we get a guard and he works out, it will stabilize the OL and hopefully generate the push we lacked last year which on its will open up room for passing. Jones is not the one and only savior of this team. We have some players on this team that can step up and catch the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee View Post
    We have some players on this team that can step up and catch the ball.
    Bradford can't throw downfield to anyone without more time.
    "The horror"

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    We have needs - and alot of them. We're holding our breath for a franchise receiver to fall into our laps, singlehandedly fixing a boxed-in, 2.2 yard per play, go nowhere, never catch up, sorry excuse for an offense.

We have a potential star quarterback who never has time; a workhorse, stud of a running back who is constantly asked to carry the team on his back who can't breakout; and a young, learning, blooded line whom need only one more piece.

See where I'm going?

If Jones is there take him. If he's not, it could be a subtle blessing.

I'm not a draftnik. I'm not intrigued by menuevering to obtain unknown vessels. But I do know we are a guard away from unlocking this team.

Granted, it's a weak class for guards, but Pouncey's down there. One guy will get us one more touchdown a game. Spags then can fill up on defense and we have our trenches set with a bench to boot.

Go down and get Pouncey.
    Im with you on this one, hugely. In the season finale in Seattle, it was the inept run game on key 3rd down plays which was almost as telling as are awful WR core. I think the FO are aware of this.
    Dont be surprised if we do trade back and get a Torrey Smith or Titus Young. Then we get our guard in the second. All this talk about JJ is driving me mad. I think the Rams want a reciever who is quicker getting in and out of his cuts, an elusive type. JJ is a good athlete, but does not have elite quickness I think the Rams are looking for. I might be wrong, we will see on draft day?

What a dilemma.
    "The horror"

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Its amazing how I am late once again to express my opinion on a subject I thought I was the only one thinking about. I was just going to come on the forum and say that why not take a look at Pouncey or Castonzo ( does he play guard), because if you look at it, we will have :

C Jason Brown
    LG Jacob Bell
    LT Roger Saffold
    RG John Greco/Hank Fraley/ CASTONZO or POUNCEY
    RT Jason Smith

That sounds like an elite line in the making once chemistry is achieved. Yes we would love to talk about Jones, or Liuget, or Smith, but why not build up something that, as mentioned above, seems to be ONE MORE PIECE away and is lacking push in the run game but is a pretty good pass blocking OL.

I have no problem with us trading back and getting a OL then a WR, DE, or DT or whatever needs we need to fulfill.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Sometimes it seems like some of you guys never want to draft an offensive (other than line) position. We need a wide receiver like crazy and I'm getting more than a little tired of taking our wide receivers in later rounds and then acting surprised when they turn out to be depth players.

Here's my question. How long do you wait? It's the same question I asked when people were saying to just draft defense last year. How long do you wait? Do we always just draft linemen and defensive players in round one and hope for the best in wide receiver in later rounds? We need a guard, but the guards are there in round two, there's no reason to get one in round one.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

So now is time take a guard when there is very few guards to choose from....

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Yes, but why at pick 14? when none of them are really even considered likely to go in round 1 at all?

I said you can have your reciever if he's there, but without more blocking it's a wasted pick and we'll see the same ol' same ol' lame offense. If we miss Pouncey keep an eye on him.
    "The horror"

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    I said you can have your reciever if he's there, but without more blocking it's a wasted pick and we'll see the same ol' same ol' lame offense. If we miss Pouncey keep an eye on him.
    I have not seen Pouncey play, can you give me some feedback on him as a run blocker live4ram please? I am with you on wanting to improve the run blocking in St Louis.
    What you have got to remember is we are changing our philosophy to the spread.
    Ideally we want a lineman who is quite quick, yet is decent in the run game. Do you see Pouncey fitting the bill for our scheme?

In all honesty Dog, I haven't seen him play a down. He's the top rated non-tackle lineman and ESPN has him rated as the twenty-fifth best draft prospect in the first round. His brother, Markice started for the Steelers in the SB as a rookie, but that's not germain to Mike either. Looking around the Florida Gators site they discribed last years lineman class as "disappointing", so I admit you have a good point by asking the question.

I'll just stick with "we need to shore up our blocking".
    Last edited by live4ramin; -03-30-2011 at 09:11 PM.
    "The horror"

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Well if we take the Bill Walsh approach we get a receiver last!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

It is a bland and boring statement, but I think we should draft the highest rated non QB, OT, MLB, K, or P. Reaching for need gets you into trouble. I agree that we have to shore up the short yardage running game, but I am not so sure if a mauler at guard is at the top of our new OC's wish list- not that McD has much say in personnel decisions mind you.