• 6 Post By Bar-bq
  • 1 Post By laram0
  • 2 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 1 Post By Nick

Thread: Fisher angry over ESPN report on Sam's 'showering habits'

Rambos is offline Registered User

Fisher angry over ESPN report on Sam's 'showering habits'

• By Jim Thomas

Rams coach Jeff Fisher remains angry over an ESPN report that dealt in part with the "showering habits" of defensive end Michael Sam by ESPN reporter Josina Anderson.

"I'm extremely disappointed in her piece," Fisher told the Post-Dispatch on Wednesday, not long before the team boarded buses for Lambert Airport and the trip to Miami for Thursday's preseason finale.

"I think it's unethical," Fisher continued. "I think it's very, very unprofessional. Not only the piece itself, the content. The manner in which she did it."

Fisher said he was made aware of the report Tuesday, has seen the report, and also has seen ESPN's subsequent apology. Fisher did say he appreciated the apology.

And on Wednesday, the Rams organization received an additional apology in a phone call from ESPN president John Skipper.

"We appreciate John Skipper reaching out to us and apologizing, and their willingness to communicate and work through this with us," Fisher said.

But part of the reason Fisher is upset with Anderson, he said, was that she contacted Rams players away from the facility for the story.

"We have a media policy, and we're very flexible," Fisher said. "We have open practices. Players are available. We have open locker rooms.

"Obviously she came in, in all likelihood to see if there was gonna be a roster move at the 75 cutdown as it relates to Mike Sam. That didn't happen. But she needed to do something, and it's my understanding that she manufactured this story.

"She was out of line because she went and contacted several players on their personal time. Misled them with questions and then put this piece together."

During the report, Anderson said one Rams player told her that Sam was "respecting our space" when it came to showering, and may be waiting to take a shower so as not to make teammates feel uncomfortable.

A couple of other players told her they weren't keeping track of Sam's shower regimen.

"I'm disappointed for Mike," Fisher said. "I'm disappointed for the players who she put in this position, and mostly I'm disappointed for her because she felt what she was doing was right _ and it wasn't right."

Sam, in a tight battle with undrafted rookie Ethan Westbrooks for a final roster spot, is trying to become the first openly gay player to make an NFL roster.

Veteran defensive end Chris Long responded to Anderson's report Tuesday on his Twitter account with a tweet that was blunt as could be: "Dear ESPN, Everyone but you is over it."

It has been an interesting week for Sam; maybe a tough week.

Following Saturday's preseason game in Cleveland, a game in which Sam drew cheers from the Rams' bench for a sack of Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel, Manziel told Cleveland reporters: "The guy (Sam) goes through a lot of stuff. He gets heckled by everybody, I'm sure."

Actually, no one's heckling Sam at Rams Park.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Fisher angry over ESPN report on Sam's 'showering habits'

Interesting. Thanks Rambos. Exactly what I just posted in the 'other' thread.

Maybe this article should be inserted in that other thread about MSam's showering habits?

Oh, never mind. Av may be on a thread closing rampage about MSam's showering habits. I just got the Champion for Today award.

Maybe if I acknowledge that the shower took place in an NFL football stadium. Then it will be justified.

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

My question is "WHO CARES"?

The answer is "NO ONE EXCEPT THE MEDIA".
    Haste likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    My question is "WHO CARES"?

The answer is "NO ONE EXCEPT THE MEDIA".
    How about Coach Fisher and the Rugged Rams Band?

How about the St. Louis Rams organization. The NFL. They care because they support MSam. The very reason our HC voiced his personal complaint about that ESPN rubbish of an article.

I know where you're coming from with that question RFS. Totally legit. Yeah, "WHO CARES?" Well, in case we haven't realized it yet, everybody seems to care. THAT's what this whole ordeal is / has been / will continue to be, the personal life of this particular player.

Back in April, wasn't a huge group of fans so vehemently in favor and supportive of MSam's draft by the Rams? Did these coaches, fans, league, reporters, writers and their respective sisters not make a BIG deal about him for being the 1st blah, blah, blah player in NFL history to be drafted? ...So, "WHO CARES?"

We do. Those that support MSam's ways and those that don't. And much to the chagrin of many of us, WE, as well the NFL as an entity ... ARE THE MEDIA. It just so happens that this story is about football, and football can be what almost any reporter wannabe want's to write, because he/she HAS to write about something juicy, something interesting. An "interesting life" can be just as important as NFL football. That's why it is here, here among football fans.

Ultimately, we pay the writers and the wannabes. We write their checks. We are the MEDIA.

The media's 'Mediators' if you will.

Fisher angry over ESPN report on Sam's 'showering habits'-1-1farve-football.jpg - - Clic for a larger TV screen.
    Last edited by RealRam; -08-27-2014 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Format
    cowboyhater likes this.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    I know where you're coming from with that question RFS. Totally legit. Yeah, "WHO CARES?" Well, in case we haven't realized it yet, everybody seems to care. THAT's what this whole ordeal is / has been / will continue to be, the personal life of this particular player.

Back in April, wasn't a huge group of fans so vehemently in favor and supportive of MSam's draft by the Rams? Did these coaches, fans, league, reporters, writers and their respective sisters not make a BIG deal about him for being the 1st blah, blah, blah player in NFL history to be drafted? ...So, "WHO CARES?"
    RealRam. I say this as someone who has gone to and fro with you on a number of topics over the years and who, outside of this issue, finds you to provide valued insight and opinion on this board: we are in vehement opposition here.

The issue that Fisher has taken up - and that many Rams and Rams fans have voiced their concern over - is that the report was unethical. Regardless of your personal/religious preferences (and I think we all know by now what those are), what that report represents is a violation of privacy for the sake of a news angle that really doesn't exist.

The point that Fisher and Chris Long and so many others have made is that this isn't a news story. This is purposeful, pandering, stereotype-feeding, bigot-fuelling slander from a network that knew precisely what it was doing when it green-lit that story and from a network that quite frankly should know better. It represents intentional, misleading journalism, and speaking as a journalist, it's something that's so easy to do if your intention is to bait the internet for clicks and website hits.

ESPN is supposed to be the standard to which sports journalism is held, and in this instance, they invaded a player's privacy, took several others out of context and perpetuated an extremely hurtful stereotype for the sake of what essentially amounts to clickbait. It's lousy journalism, it's hurtful journalism, and it's a massively unnecessary disruption to the team and to a man's life. That's the issue is here.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

The "non" NFL world does seem to care about any story that involves gay rights, so thus the media searching for drama here.

I actually think the story is probably accurate and Sam probably does make an effort to wait until after "rush hour" traffic in the locker room to take his shower so as not to make awkward for anyone. And so what, that seems like a classy approach for him, at least until he is more acclimated with the team. He has only known these players for a few months now, I'm sure if he makes the team he would eventually not be concerned, but if the story is true, I would probably do the same thing if I were him.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I fail to understand how a persons showering habits has anything to do with football.
    ViennaRam likes this.

harrydog is offline Registered User

None of this should come as a surprise to anyone, especially the Ram's organization. Did anyone really expect that drafting Michael Sam would not feed the media frenzy, which had already begun as soon as he announced that he was gay? I doubt that Sam is as upset about it as some of you guys seem to be.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

ESPN has been out of the sports journalism business for some time now. Other than Bob Ley and a select few others, not many anchors or "reporters" care much about objective reporting anymore, instead choosing to entertain love affairs with certain athletes or harp on certain topics endlessly. I and many others have repeatedly voiced displeasure at these practices, yet ESPN continues to do it and garner tens of millions of viewers- which means there are legions of sports fans out there who sadly DO CARE about soft news and issues concerning the sports world. It's a sad indictment of our society that an issue like Michael Sam's "showering habits" would be discussed and even more damning that there hasn't been swift and immediate repercussions for the people responsible for such a tasteless and irrelevant issue.

Jeff Fisher is 100% right in his condemnation of this repulsive "story".
    citr92 and SimSportPl like this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

this is why i don't read ESPN except like 1 or 2 guys....Ted Miller and Kevin Gemmell

and again, it's how they got their "story," that's that problem

Quote Originally Posted by LAram0 View Post
    I fail to understand how a persons showering habits has anything to do with football.
    (Football) f person + (Football) f2 person showering after play = f2 x Σ x √ ESPN

Where f is the function of a football player; Σ is 'Story' and 'ESPN' represents Coach Fisher's ire.

And there's the simplified equation of today's media reporting to mess up or mystify matters.

Last edited by RealRam; -08-29-2014 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Revise notations

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    None of this should come as a surprise to anyone, especially the Ram's organization. Did anyone really expect that drafting Michael Sam would not feed the media frenzy, which had already begun as soon as he announced that he was gay? I doubt that Sam is as upset about it as some of you guys seem to be.
    This isn't about the expected media frenzy (which had died down substantially), it's about a purposeful, manipulation of an innocuous statement in order to create an issue. But don't take my word for it, ask ESPN, who apologized to the Rams not once, but twice.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Next year's Combine vertical jump will instead be a measurement of how high above the shower head a person can reach.
    RealRam likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Next year's Combine vertical jump will instead be a measurement of how high above the shower head a person can reach.
    Yes, and the shower head height standard will be set by ESPN; it determines if the jump will be under a dry shower head or on water spray, etc. Officially certified by Sports Science. Made possible by NFLN and its sponsors.

Jump rookie ... jump!

Last edited by RealRam; -08-29-2014 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Ram