Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Fisher on Bradford: "He'll be back and he's our quarterback."

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Fisher on Bradford: "He'll be back and he's our quarterback."

When asked about whether Sam would be ready for the first game of 2013, Fisher said there's no reason to think otherwise.

This combined with the Rams' public statement prior to the ***** game about wanting to extend Sam seems to suggest they aren't going to be scouting early-round quarterbacks in this coming draft.

Having said that, I do hope they examine some of the late Day Two and early Day Three prospects for a potential young back-up to groom behind Sam.
    Last edited by Nick; -10-21-2013 at 06:15 PM.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Fisher on Bradford: "He'll be back and he's our quarterback."

I have no doubt that the Rams plan to have Sam back as their starting QB in 2014.

That said, I think this injury raises a few issues:

1. Money: My understanding is that Sam has been paid all of his guaranteed money. As a result, if the Rams want to play a bit of hardball, they can do so. As it stands, Sam is scheduled to make $14.1M next year. That is clearly above his "market price." I suspect that the Rams will push to restructure Sam's deal to provide cap room for 2014.

2. Depth: If the Rams have not learned the lesson that Kellen Clemens is not enough of a contingency plan, I fear that lesson will become clear before the season is over. As Nick said, I'd like to see the Rams take a developmental QB in next year's draft.

As I see it, there are three types of QB draft prospects. The top guys (Bridgewater, Hundley) are "franchise prospects." They require the expenditure of a first round pick, and are expected to start right away. The next category is the "developmental" group. These are players who can be had in rounds 2-4, and are viewed as players who can potentially develop into quality starters. Guys like Tajh Boyd might fit this description. Finally, there are the "pure depth" players. These are QBs obtained in Rounds 5-7 who are expected to be career backups. Guys like A.J. McCarren, for example.

I think the Rams need to go the developmental route. Sam is the presumptive starter for 2014... but its a rebuttable presumption.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I vote A.J. McCarren... just to get his girlfriend in the stands. : )
    thoey, Nick, lostsoul and 3 others like this.

thoey is offline Registered User

I don't think we can spend a pick on a developmental player that might not pan out and end up being a perennial clipboard holder. I think you have to go with the BPA of the available QB's and still sit them behind Sam to learn.
    This space for rent...

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    I vote A.J. McCarren... just to get his girlfriend in the stands. : )
    I believe they broke up recently, so that plan is out the window.
    Rambunctious likes this.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    I don't think we can spend a pick on a developmental player that might not pan out and end up being a perennial clipboard holder. I think you have to go with the BPA of the available QB's and still sit them behind Sam to learn.
    There are too many other things we could really use a first rounder on to draft "Trung Candidate the quarterback."

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I would spend a top pick on Bridgewater/Hundley/Mariota (whichever come out), but if we plan to grab a developmental guy I would definitely be interested in Tajh Boyd and Stephen Morris in rds 2-5.

THE DREAM TEAM

punahou is offline Registered User

Whos this LSU QB? Mettenger? I havent heard much about him, but he is now cracking into 1st round draft status and some sites have us picking him?

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    I believe they broke up recently, so that plan is out the window.
    So you're saying I have a chance. : )
    ramsbruce likes this.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

I certainly hope Sam and co. will find a solution to the cap issue coming in the near future. Ideally, we would cut him and re-sign him to a fair, cap friendly contract. As for a backup QB, Aaron Murray is on my list as of now.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

citr92 is offline Registered User

derrick carr?

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

As I see it, there are three types of QB draft prospects. The top guys (Bridgewater, Hundley) are "franchise prospects." They require the expenditure of a first round pick, and are expected to start right away. The next category is the "developmental" group. These are players who can be had in rounds 2-4, and are viewed as players who can potentially develop into quality starters. Guys like Tajh Boyd might fit this description. Finally, there are the "pure depth" players. These are QBs obtained in Rounds 5-7 who are expected to be career backups. Guys like A.J. McCarren, for example.

I think the Rams need to go the developmental route. Sam is the presumptive starter for 2014... but its a rebuttable presumption.
    Where will Johnny Manziel fit? Round #1, 2-4 or 5-7? I know practically nothing about the kid other than he seems to bring something electric to his games. That said, yesterday,I talked to an acquaintance (he's a whiner fan), who said he wouldn't even draft the guy in any round. Says he's too small and fragile .. For those of you reading this, I am not suggesting we take Johnny Football, as I'll state again: I know very little about him - well there's one thing I guess I know: He must be a really nice and generous fellow to sign 4,400 autographs for free.

As regards Sam Bradford, after having a while to read and contemplate everyone's knee jerk reactions/suggestions, including mainstream media guys as well, I think our best bet is to stick with Sam. The Rams have invested a huge amount of time money and energy into Sam. Sure, he hasn't progressed as much as some would like, but he has progressed. All things considered, I believe he's still the best option we have when you look at the big picture. That said, what the heck are we gonna do for the rest of this year? Guess we'll find out soon enough.
    Last edited by MauiRam; -10-21-2013 at 07:33 PM.

ramjam is offline Registered User

I think this is the perfect opportunity to start looking for a new starting quarterback for 2014.

RosieJones is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Where will Johnny Manziel fit? Round #1, 2-4 or 5-7? I know practically nothing about the kid other than he seems to bring something electric to his games. That said, yesterday,I talked to an acquaintance (he's a whiner fan), who said he wouldn't even draft the guy in any round. Says he's too small and fragile .. For those of you reading this, I am not suggesting we take Johnny Football, as I'll state again: I know very little about him - well there's one thing I guess I know: He must be a really nice and generous fellow to sign 4,400 autographs for free.

As regards Sam Bradford, after having a while to read and contemplate everyone's knee jerk reactions/suggestions, including mainstream media guys as well, I think our best bet is to stick with Sam. The Rams have invested a huge amount of time money and energy into Sam. Sure, he hasn't progressed as much as some would like, but he has progressed. All things considered, I believe he's still the best option we have when you look at the big picture. That said, what the heck are we gonna do for the rest of this year? Guess we'll find out soon enough.
    Lose, unfortunately.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RosieJones View Post
    Lose, unfortunately.
    Well that's certainly an option, but Av thinks we're going to whip Seattle next Monday - who knows?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast