Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Harry S. Truman

Thread: The Fisher-Bradford paradox and other random Fisher related musings

Harry S. Truman is offline Registered User

The Fisher-Bradford paradox and other random Fisher related musings

Lately, we've heard talks that Fisher isn't high Sam Bradford; and later a rebuttal.

Here's my two cents on the matter. Granted, I haven't pondered and speculated this much since I considered running against that no good rat Eisenhower in '56, but I digress.

In the final years during his run in Tennessee, Fisher had a high paid, highly selected draft pick behind center almost forced on him. It's well documented that Fisher never wanted Young and never could find a way to swallow his pride and work with VY the way he was able to mold the late Steve McNair.

By comparing the two most ardent suitors for him; Miami and St. Louis, he's got two different situations in tow.

In Miami, I doubt ANY of us truly believe Matt Moore is long term for that job. While Fisher may at first be forced to work with the hand he's dealt (unless Miami gets creative and trades for Matt Flynn, trades up for RGIII or Landry Jones winds up going pro), ultimately and before long, he'll be able to get HIS guy at QB to mold, develop, etc.

In St. Louis, fair or unfair, Bradford would essentially be another case of a high paid, highly drafted QB forced upon him. While comparing Bradford to Young is not my intent here; as they're drastically different QB both physically and mentally, the situation would essentially be the same (minus the fact that he was in charge and had quite a large amount of say in Tennessee when Young was picked, but the higher ups went above him and Sam was picked by a previous administration).

Ultimately, while I believe that this possibility may wind up being a notch in Miami's favor, I don't believe Bradford is going to be the final deal breaker and it will come down to money, what pieces of the puzzle he'll have to work with and build around and authoritative control.

In this sense, I think the talent is a wash (Jackson, Bradford, a top two pick-- possibly Blackmon and a decent amount of cap money is enticing as is Long, Quinn and Road Warrior Animal Jr. on D, however Miami carries some nice talent too in Marshall, Wake, Bess and Vontae Davis). Money may lean slightly in Miami's favor, however control is highly in favor of the Rams, because Ross is one of those kind who has to have his face in the spotlight.

At day's end, I think two factors will play the biggest roles in Fisher's decision: ownership (score this one in favor of the Rams) and the team that gives him the best chance at immediate success. The last thing Fisher wants is to wander into the same stormy mess Mike Shanahan is facing in Washington. As such, even though the Patriots are older and the Jets are a cohesive disaster, the AFC East is brutal to win, whereas the NFC West... Well, enough said there.

Suffice to say, the next 5-6 days should be very interesting to see.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: The Fisher-Bradford paradox and other random Fisher related musings

Quote Originally Posted by Harry S. Truman View Post
    Lately, we've heard talks that Fisher isn't high Sam Bradford; and later a rebuttal.

Here's my two cents on the matter. Granted, I haven't pondered and speculated this much since I considered running against that no good rat Eisenhower in '56, but I digress.

In the final years during his run in Tennessee, Fisher had a high paid, highly selected draft pick behind center almost forced on him. It's well documented that Fisher never wanted Young and never could find a way to swallow his pride and work with VY the way he was able to mold the late Steve McNair.

By comparing the two most ardent suitors for him; Miami and St. Louis, he's got two different situations in tow.

In Miami, I doubt ANY of us truly believe Matt Moore is long term for that job. While Fisher may at first be forced to work with the hand he's dealt (unless Miami gets creative and trades for Matt Flynn, trades up for RGIII or Landry Jones winds up going pro), ultimately and before long, he'll be able to get HIS guy at QB to mold, develop, etc.

In St. Louis, fair or unfair, Bradford would essentially be another case of a high paid, highly drafted QB forced upon him. While comparing Bradford to Young is not my intent here; as they're drastically different QB both physically and mentally, the situation would essentially be the same (minus the fact that he was in charge and had quite a large amount of say in Tennessee when Young was picked, but the higher ups went above him and Sam was picked by a previous administration).

Ultimately, while I believe that this possibility may wind up being a notch in Miami's favor, I don't believe Bradford is going to be the final deal breaker and it will come down to money, what pieces of the puzzle he'll have to work with and build around and authoritative control.

In this sense, I think the talent is a wash (Jackson, Bradford, a top two pick-- possibly Blackmon and a decent amount of cap money is enticing as is Long, Quinn and Road Warrior Animal Jr. on D, however Miami carries some nice talent too in Marshall, Wake, Bess and Vontae Davis). Money may lean slightly in Miami's favor, however control is highly in favor of the Rams, because Ross is one of those kind who has to have his face in the spotlight.

At day's end, I think two factors will play the biggest roles in Fisher's decision: ownership (score this one in favor of the Rams) and the team that gives him the best chance at immediate success. The last thing Fisher wants is to wander into the same stormy mess Mike Shanahan is facing in Washington. As such, even though the Patriots are older and the Jets are a cohesive disaster, the AFC East is brutal to win, whereas the NFC West... Well, enough said there.

I was with you until you started talking about weak divisions.

I posted yesterday that in spite of what you say about the NFC West, it's top three teams have a better record than that of the AFC East, 28-20 to 27-21.

Not to mention that the Jets are nothing more than an over-hyped average team with an over-hyped average QB.

Add to that, the dysfunction that has reared it's ugly head recently, and there's no way this team is any better than Seattle or Arizona. In fact at this point I'd say they are not as good as either. So say what you will about how weak the NFC West supposedly is, at least for this year it is better than the AFC East.

I was with you until you started talking about weak divisions.

I posted yesterday that in spite of what you say about the NFC West, it's top three teams have a better record than that of the AFC East, 28-20 to 27-21.

Not to mention that the Jets are nothing more than an over-hyped average team with an over-hyped average QB.

Add to that, the dysfunction that has reared it's ugly head recently, and there's no way this team is any better than Seattle or Arizona. In fact at this point I'd say they are not as good as either. So say what you will about how weak the NFC West supposedly is, at least for this year it is better than the AFC East.

Harry S. Truman is offline Registered User

Perhaps for this year, but let me pose this question. By nature, would you not agree that the AFC East is a tougher mountain to capture than the NFC West?

Perhaps for this year, but let me pose this question. By nature, would you not agree that the AFC East is a tougher mountain to capture than the NFC West?
    If your question is, is it easier to overcome the Fortuniners or the Patriots? I'd say the Patriots at this point, but I will also say that it is easier to finish in front of the Jets than it is to finish in front of Arizona or Seattle.