By Jim Thomas
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
11/19/2006

Travis Fisher insists, "I'm not mad at anybody."

But the Rams cornerback wanted to stay on the active roster despite suffering a cracked bone in his right forearm last Sunday in Seattle.

"I heal pretty quick," Fisher said Friday. "I came back off surgery on my displaced bone in 2004 in seven weeks and played."

That was a reference to a similar, but more serious injury to the same forearm that occurred late in the 2004 preseason. Fisher still has a plate in his arm from that injury. In fact, the latest fracture is in a bone that's underneath the plate.

"It's a small crack that requires no surgery, so I'm thinking I can come back," Fisher said. "But I got put on IR and didn't know it."

Fisher said he found out from a friend who works in the Baltimore Ravens organization that he had been placed on the injured reserve list. (Fisher's name appeared on the league's transactions wire with that designation on Tuesday.)

Rams coach Scott Linehan said Friday that he tried to speak with Fisher earlier in the week to discuss the IR decision, but couldn't reach him. Linehan said he didn't even see Fisher at Rams Park this week until Friday.

In any event, Linehan said team trainers had discussed the issue with Fisher. With the timeline for Fisher's return possibly being as long as six weeks— and with just seven games to play — the Rams decided to place Fisher on the season-ending IR list.

So Fisher finishes the 2006 season with 31 tackles, two pass breakups, and one quarterback hurry, starting all nine games at left corner.

"I think I played very good football this year," Fisher said. "We played a lot of man (coverage), and I got a chance to put it on film. I went against some pretty good receivers, and no one really posed a threat. Plus, I learned the nickel and dominated at the nickel position. Stat-wise, it didn't really show up because I'm in man coverage."

Suffice to say, those views are not universally shared at Rams Park. With Tye Hill and Fakhir Brown the team's corners of the present and future, Fisher almost certainly has played his last game with the Rams. A second-round draft pick by the Rams in 2002 out of Central Florida, Fisher is scheduled for unrestricted free agency in March.

"I haven't gotten any feedback from the Rams," Fisher said. "Once I heal, I'm pretty sure I'll start hearing a lot. My agent says I've got a lot of teams (that might be interested). When March hits, I'll be fine."

In the meantime, Fisher plans to stick around Rams Park for the rest of this season.

"I've got a lot of love for my teammates," he said. "I'm not going to just leave and go to Florida."

No love for St. Louis

Carolina defensive tackle Damione Lewis, a disappointment as the Rams' No. 12 overall pick in 2001, apparently is no fan of the Gateway City. "It wasn't really a town I loved too much," Lewis told the Charlotte Observer. "But it was fun there. I had a lot of friends. But if I had to pick a city to live the rest of my life, that's not the one I would pick."

Homecoming for Davis

Stephen Davis was the heart of the Carolina running game in the Panthers' drive to the Super Bowl three years ago. After three seasons in Carolina, Davis was released by the club last March and subsequently signed with the Rams.

So Sunday's game is a homecoming for Davis, who's from nearby Spartanburg, S.C. But Davis played down the significance of the day.

"I'm just going back to see my family, that's it," Davis said Friday. "My mom will probably do some cooking, and I'll just enjoy my family a little bit."