Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Ram Mar Ram
  • 1 Post By HUbison

Thread: Fisher impressed with Sam Bradford during minicamp practice

Rambos is offline Registered User

Fisher impressed with Sam Bradford during minicamp practice

BY STEVE KORTE -

ST. LOUIS -- New St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher got his first close-up look at Sam Bradford on the practice field on Tuesday. He was pleased with what he saw from the third-year quarterback.

"It's his vision, his release, his accuracy -- really those things that we expected to see," Fisher said of what impressed him about Bradford during the first practice of the team's voluntary minicamp. "He's picking things up very, very quickly. The accuracy -- if you have to pick one thing, it would be that. The ball is in the right place at the right time."

Bradford is looking forward to putting the sophomore slump he experienced last season behind him.

"Obviously, last year was very disappointing as far as the injury, my performance," Bradford said. "It just wasn't up to par from what I expected from myself. There is no doubt that I am extremely excited to get back out there this year and prove to myself and everyone else that I can be the type of player that I think I can be."

Bradford missed the final three weeks of the 2011 season due to a high ankle sprain. He said he took the next two months off, letting the ankle heal.

"I went to a doctor literally two days after the season ended, and he told me not to do anything until March 1," Bradford said. "I kind of shut it down for six or eight more weeks after the season, and then I got back in the training room with (head trainer) Reggie Scott. It felt 10 times better, and I would say it has only gotten stronger since I have been here working with Reggie."

Bradford said he would still attempt to play through the ankle injury if he had to do it all over again.

Bradford spent his nearly two months away from football traveling the world, including a stop in Kuwait along with Rams linebacker James Laurinaitis visiting U.S. troops during Super Bowl week.

"That was probably one of the coolest things that I've done," Bradford said. "Going over there really opened my eyes. I have a whole new respect for our military. I think it's amazing what they are doing for us so we can be here and live the way we do."

Bradford said Fisher was his first choice for the Rams' head coach after meeting with him in the mid-January during the team's coaching search.

"I think we did (click)," Bradford said. "He is a very likable guy. I think he commands respect. When I walked into the room, I respected everything he had done and I listened to every word that he said. I really didn't want to get my hopes up because if we didn't get him as our head coach I was going to be very disappointed. I knew from the day that I met him that he is the guy that I wanted to lead us into next year and into the future."

Bradford said he's also gotten along well with new offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti.

Bradford is learning his third offense in three seasons.

"This year is obviously much better than last year," Bradford said, referring to the NFL lockout that wiped out the minicamps and Organized Team Activities (OTAs) last season. "To be here and to be able to have an offseason program, to come out here in a minicamp and get to have walk-throughs and get to have 7-on-7s, things we didn't get to have last year, that really helps. The more reps you get at it, the more comfortable you become.

"There are some similarities between this offense and the offense we ran two years ago. Some of the language is the same. It's trying to go back to two years ago and re-teach myself that."

Bradford said he's focusing on fundamentals, something that he feels he let lapse last season.

"Work on my footwork, work on my release, try to speed things up," Bradford said. "All the little things that maybe I take for granted, and may have taken for granted last year and may have dropped my play."

Fisher, who spent last season away from coaching, was glad to be back on the practice field.

"Personally, it was very, very exciting for me to get back out there just because of what we've been doing," Fisher said. "Starting with the staffing (of coaches) to the personnel and free agency and now we're right in the middle of the draft meetings. It's not the best time in the world to have this session, but we have to get the work done. When the players are done for the day, we're going to go back upstairs."

Fisher said he's putting in a lot of hours getting ready for the 2012 NFL Draft on April 26-28.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Fisher impressed with Sam Bradford during minicamp practice

How can you not like this article ... its got 'warm fuzzy feeling' written all over it.
    Jonze and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Reading this article brought a smile to my face. The ankle injury Sam Bradford sustained, had a massive bearing on his performance last year. Anyone who believes otherwise is badly mistaken.The majority of QB's in the league, would have shut themselves down for the year. So kudo's too Sam Bradford for hanging in there, in some very difficult circumstances last year. The fears I had with Bradfords poor showing last year have dwindled substantially now Ive got the full story. Those Seahawk fans taking potshots at our Sam, will be wiping egg off the faces real soon. FACT.
    To all those cocky Hawk fans doubting Bradford. Don't say I didn't warn you.!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Sam had two seasons last year... first, while he was healthy, he could put the ball on the hads every time, but guys just dropped everything. Then, after he got hurt, he couldn't place the ball like he could before because of the ankle, and so he wasn't effective even though the talent level had improved by rookies having time to learn and the acquisition of Lloyd.

This year I have a lot of hope and faith in our second year guys and hopefully in Blackmon.
    I believe!

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think Sam has something to prove, he has a chip on his shoulder for sure...

"Obviously, last year was very disappointing as far as the injury, my performance," Bradford said. "It just wasn't up to par from what I expected from myself. There is no doubt that I am extremely excited to get back out there this year and prove to myself and everyone else that I can be the type of player that I think I can be."

ramsflow is offline Registered User

Good to hear, I dont know why people even consider not having bradford as our future. He IS infact the future.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

That high ankle sprain. Painful to watch.

It was so frustrating to watch him last year try to push off that ankle. No follow through, no base, nothing but arm............it was maddening to watch him out there. He should have been shut down with that injury.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod