• 1 Post By MoonJoe
  • 1 Post By PeoriaRam

Thread: Fisher: Indefinite Suspension "Warranted"

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Fisher: Indefinite Suspension "Warranted"

Jeff Fisher reacts to aide's ban

March 21, 2012
    ESPN.com news services

ST. LOUIS -- St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher says he feels the indefinite suspension of defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was "warranted" for running a bounty pool in New Orleans.

At a news conference Wednesday, Fisher said he had been unaware of the NFL investigation when he hired Williams in January.

Fisher says he'll probably use a committee of coaches to replace the assistant coach. Fisher is a former defensive coordinator and has two others with experience at that position on his staff, assistant head coach Dave McGinnis and defensive backs coach Chuck Cecil.

Fisher added that he is the originator of the defensive playbook the Rams have developed.

Williams apologized again for his role in the Saints' bounty system in a statement released Wednesday.

"I'd like to again apologize wholeheartedly to the NFL, Coach Fisher, the entire Rams organization and all football fans for my actions. Furthermore, I apologize to the players of the NFL for my involvement as it is not a true reflection of my values as a father or coach, nor is it reflective of the great respect I have for this game and its core principle of sportsmanship.

"I accept full responsibility for my actions. I highly value the 23 years that I've spent in the NFL. I will continue to cooperate fully with the league and its investigation and I will focus my energies on serving as an advocate for both player safety and sportsmanship. I will do everything possible to re-earn the respect of my colleagues, the NFL and its players in hopes of returning to coaching in the future."

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: Fisher: Indefinite Suspension "Warranted"

Is he fired yet? Fisher has to be pissed that Williams "forgot" to mention this to him when he was interviewed.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Is he fired yet? Fisher has to be pissed that Williams "forgot" to mention this to him when he was interviewed.
    I doubt there was an interview. I think it was more like "Hey I'm coaching the Rams. You in?"

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    I doubt there was an interview. I think it was more like "Hey I'm coaching the Rams. You in?"
    I highly doubt that, but if Fisher is that stupid, then I don't want him here.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I find it hard to believe Fisher didn't know what was going on.
    RamDez and FestusRam like this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

I find it hard to believe that this didn't surface before he was signed by the RAMS. I wonder if it would have stayed an ongoing (silent) investigation if he had signed with another team, or stayed with the Saints.

Maybe he can treat this like a NASCAR suspension of cheat knaus, and he can run the defense from a cell phone and his couch at home. Oh, wait NASCAR no longer has the courage to penalize cheat knaus.

gap
    Dwight Frye likes this.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I find it hard to believe Fisher didn't know what was going on.
    You're probably right, but remember, everything said after he was caught is meant for the general public and must not put the Rams in any negative light whatsoever. On another note, I'm not worried about not having DC at this point. 6 years without a head coach has prepared us for that!
    Fat Pang likes this.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Fisher says he'll probably use a committee of coaches to replace the assistant coach.
    Because leadership by committee always works so well. Let's call plays using that story-telling game where you go around the circle and each person adds a word!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Because leadership by committee always works so well. Let's call plays using that story-telling game where you go around the circle and each person adds a word!
    I think Fisher is saying that think he will be back next year... I saw the presser and Fisher said we definitely are behind the 8 ball.. and we have work to do... he also said he kind knew this was going to come down to this.. I think the Rams knew it was going to be be bad and will have a plan.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I think Fisher is saying that think he will be back next year... I saw the presser and Fisher said we definitely are behind the 8 ball.. and we have work to do... he also said he kind knew this was going to come down to this.. I think the Rams knew it was going to be be bad and will have a plan.
    I'd agree. Fisher probably knew when he hired him; for someone working with the league office so closely, I would find it hard to believe he hadn't come across the merest mention of it.

And he has a plan.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If Fisher thinks Williams is going to be back next year, he's been afflicted by the same damn Pollyanna virus that seems to strike all inhabitants of metro St. Louis. Williams is going to be gone for more than a year.

It's more plausible that he's just postponing the DC search until next offseason and rejiggering the draft to focus on offense.
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER likes this.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    If Fisher thinks Williams is going to be back next year, he's been afflicted by the same damn Pollyanna virus that seems to strike all inhabitants of metro St. Louis. Williams is going to be gone for more than a year.

It's more plausible that he's just postponing the DC search until next offseason and rejiggering the draft to focus on offense.
    Good post and spot on. IF Jeff knew nothing about this, he should be livid and fire the guy immediately. This whole thing totally pisses me off.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Most of you seem to agree that Fisher knew of William's actions before he was hired. If that is the case, why the heck did he hire him? And how are you guys ok with that? To me it is a beyond stupid thing to do. It's not like Williams is an amazingly talented DC that is worth waiting a year for. What am I missing? Are Fisher and Williams such good friends that he knows no one else will touch him, so he's doing him a personal favor by hiring and keeping him? I just don't see any value in keeping Williams around, and the longer he remains unfired, the more I will question what is going on in Fisher's head.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Most of you seem to agree that Fisher knew of William's actions before he was hired. If that is the case, why the heck did he hire him? And how are you guys ok with that? To me it is a beyond stupid thing to do. It's not like Williams is an amazingly talented DC that is worth waiting a year for. What am I missing? Are Fisher and Williams such good friends that he knows no one else will touch him, so he's doing him a personal favor by hiring and keeping him? I just don't see any value in keeping Williams around, and the longer he remains unfired, the more I will question what is going on in Fisher's head.
    I think Fisher may have known about the investigation before he hired Williams but that's different to knowing about his actions.

At this point there's no merit to keeping Williams, I expect he'll resign thereby taking the decision out of Fishers hands.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Here's a thought...

Gregg Williams was hired on January 16.
    Dave McGinnis was hired on January 23.

Perhaps Fisher learned about the details of the investigation during that week and hired McGinnis as an insurance policy?