throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Fisher looking for more money??

From Len Pasquarelli--

Speaking of players switching agents, Drew Rosenhaus and Jason Rosenhaus landed their second young veteran cornerback of the offseason, when St. Louis starter Travis Fisher opted for a change of representation. A two-year veteran and second-round pick in the 2002 draft, Fisher is an emerging player, who, at age 24, already has 26 starts on his resume. The former Central Florida standout tied for the team lead in interceptions (four) and passes defensed (12) in 2003, and totaled 75 tackles. Fisher is set to earn a minimum base salary of $380,000 and, not surprisingly, Drew Rosenhaus has already approached Rams officials about upgrading the deal. The team's other young starting cornerback, Jeremetrius Butler, got a new $15 million deal this spring because Washington signed him to a restricted free agent offer sheet and St. Louis matched it. Most personnel people view Butler and Fisher as equals. Earlier this spring, Rosenhaus Sports was retained by Denver corner Lenny Walls, another young defender on the rise, and a guy slated to start opposite Champ Bailey in the Broncos secondary.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Fisher looking for more money??

Doesn't really surprise me, since neither of the Rosenhaus will receive any money from Fisher's current contract. And Fisher is making near minimum wage considering his role on the team. His current deal expires in 2006. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams and Fisher worked out an extension for next spring. I don't really see one happening prior to or during this season.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

A lot depends on the development of groce and garrett. Its all about leverage, and right now, fisher has none.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Its all about leverage, and right now, fisher has none.
    How do you figure? Fisher is one of the few Rams cornerbacks with experience and proven talent right now. You're right in that a lot of the bargaining depends on Groce or Garrett's development, but since they've yet to show anything, that puts the ball in Fisher's court. If Groce or Garrett come out and do well, only then will it lessen the bargaining power of Fisher.

If Fisher was ever going to try and get some more money, now would be the best time... before Groce or Garrett have a chance to make names for themselves on this defense.

general counsel Guest

Nick, the context in which i say he has no leverage is that if he holds out, he doesnt get paid and does not get himself to free agency, restricted or otherwise. I dont believe he is in a strong enough position to extort money from the rams by refusing to play when he is currently under contract.

general counsel

Alright, I see what you're saying.

Aries51 is offline Registered User

So in essence what Travis is saying is that"Hey,I know I'm under contract,but I want more money.So lets get the ball rolling on a contract extension sooner rather than later". Well at least he didnt hire the Postons!!!
    ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

general counsel Guest

By the way, i would love to see us lock up fisher long term. I think he is very very good and barring injury, will only improve. He is only a notch below an elite corner in my view. I think if we can sign the Big Man long term, we can turn our attention to fisher. On Polley, i would keep more of an open mind.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Fisher may not be flashy but he's solid. He dosen't get burnt often. Have we so forgotten Dexter NoClingon? Fisher had two INTs for TDs last year. He's considered our top CB. However, Garrett and Groce are threats. I don't remember hearing that Fisher had any intentions of holding out. He's just positioning himself for RFA.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Fisher may not be flashy but he's solid. He dosen't get burnt often. Have we so forgotten Dexter NoClingon? Fisher had two INTs for TDs last year. He's considered our top CB. However, Garrett and Groce are threats. I don't remember hearing that Fisher had any intentions of holding out. He's just positioning himself for RFA.
    Fisher signed a five year deal in 2002 when he was drafted. He won't be a restricted free agent. In terms of his skill, he's one of the fastest corners I've seen. He'll never be an elite shutdown corner, IMO, but I think he can be very effective in our system.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

This is probably more about Rosenhaus getting paid than Fisher getting paid.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    This is probably more about Rosenhaus getting paid than Fisher getting paid.
    I concur wholeheartedly.

sbramfan Guest

Remember when we drafted fisher and there was some controversy on whether we even knew we were drafting this guy from Central Florida or if our draft list actually told us to take some other fisher that was supposed to be ranked alot higher than Travis Fisher, if he was still available???

I like his physical-ness, but not sure if he deserves any more money based on his performance to date. A contract extension, yes...but more money? Whatever we're paying him is sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    I like his physical-ness, but not sure if he deserves any more money based on his performance to date. A contract extension, yes...but more money? Whatever we're paying him is sufficient.
    A five-year, $3.055 million deal that includes a $1.115 million signing bonus is sufficient for a starting CB in the league? A player who tied the team lead for interceptions and had two defensive touchdowns last season? Call me the devil's advocate, but I'm somewhat surprised we haven't heard more about this sooner.

tanus is offline Registered User

i think fisher deserves a better contract as well. i think after this season he will get some sort of an extension. i dont see how anyone can really complain about his play so far.