Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: fisher and mad mike with bill polian

general counsel is offline Registered User

fisher and mad mike with bill polian

call me crazy, i am hoping for fisher as head coach, mad mike as offensive coordinator and polian to run the operation. I won't be upset if mcdaniels stays, but we need a qb coach for sammy.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    RamDez likes this.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

Re: fisher and mad mike with bill polian

Absolutely crazy! Other than the QB coach... and the keeping McD.
    I believe!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Kroenke has made it clear he doesn't want anything to do with any big ego's. I'd say the chances Martz figures into the Rams' future are slim and none.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Ok you're crazy....

As Mike said slim to none and slim just left the room.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Mike Martz has been an awful offensive coordinator for years. No thanks and Polian did a terrible job building a team around the Colts.

Fisher I'd be fine with but god no to the others.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Call me crazy, but how about Joe Pa for the Human Resources Department.
    THOLTFAN81, ManofGod and gap like this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Martz has been an awful offensive coordinator for years? Really? Did the bears with cutler and forte look awful to anyone (see last years playoff run), notwithstanding a woeful offensive line (which martz did NOT select). Sure the ***** were lousy on offense when martz was there, did they have any players?

Martz has had phenomenal success developing qb's. There is no denying that.

I never said it was likely to happen, just that in my view, it would be fantastic for the rams. It never ceases to amaze me what short memories people has when it comes to professional success and expertise. Does anyone really think that martz is any different as an offensive coordinator now than he was during the gsot or is it mainly a question of talent? Same argument when we fired bobby april as special teams coach and he was coach of the year the following year. Someone should go look up bill cowhers record. He certainly had a terrible season at one point. Does that mean that he didnt know how to coach that year or is it much more liklely that a combination of injuries and bad luck and lesser personnel led to bad results.

People may have issues with martz as a head coach and i understand that, but i dont understand the ego issues when it comes to an offensive coordinator job and i have not read one thing about him having any ego issues during his recent offensive coordinator stints. A comparison to Joe Pa and HR is frankly an insensitive and not a very appropriate comment, and i have a ton of respect for dgr828 in just about every other circumstance i can think of in the last several years on this board. Joe Pa potentially ruined several lives by not coming forward for his own personal reasons. How exactly does that have anything at all to do with Mike Martz, who was an architect of some terrific qb careers and offenses. Bulger, Warner, Trent Green, Cutler etc all were developed and successful under martz. I simply dont understand the martz bashing in an offensive coordinator capacity.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I like the idea dont think it will happen gc but I do like it

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Martz has been an awful offensive coordinator for years? Really? Did the bears with cutler and forte look awful to anyone (see last years playoff run), notwithstanding a woeful offensive line (which martz did NOT select). Sure the ***** were lousy on offense when martz was there, did they have any players?
    Martz is all risk for high reward... Cutler like Warner, like Marc, like Smith all seem to get killed in the system.

We have a lousy offensive line by the way, so it would be fair to think Bradford would get pounded.

He is very good with QB's but I have yet to see him work with one that at some point does not get hurt. He exposes them and over time they all get hurt. IF Martz could somehow dial it down and have success without the all or nothing approach he would be more appealing to me.

It never ceases to amaze me what short memories people has when it comes to professional success and expertise. Does anyone really think that martz is any different as an offensive coordinator now than he was during the gsot or is it mainly a question of talent?
    I will always remember what he brought to the Rams, I liked him when he was here did not want to see he go. Over the years I have built up resentment towards Martz. He did such a poor job handling Warner when he got hurt it still pisses me off that Warner did not finish with the Rams and we could not maintain the talent to become a dynasty.

People may have issues with martz as a head coach and i understand that, but i dont understand the ego issues when it comes to an offensive coordinator job and i have not read one thing about him having any ego issues during his recent offensive coordinator stints.
    Back to Martz as a coordinator.. the problem is this IMO. During the game a both side of the ball have an impact on the other... It seems like Martz does not understand that or he does but does not care. If you are the DC and Martz is the OC you will get no help from him with ball control, turn overs, time of possession.

I simply dont understand the martz bashing in an offensive coordinator capacity.
    I think Martz needs to be a HC or nothing due to his all or nothing approach to the game. Well see where he lands...
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-04-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Back to Martz as a coordinator.. the problem is this IMO. During the game a both side of the ball have an impact on the other... It seems like Martz does not understand that or he does but does not care. If you are the DC and Martz is the OC you will get no help from him with ball control, turn overs, time of possession.
    Or, if you are the HC and Martz is the OC. The fueds Martz had with both Marinelli in Detroit and Singletary in San Francisco over ball control and offensive philosophy have been well documented. Martz refused to go with the flow and was booted out of the equation in both cases. We'll see if anything is reported from the Chicago situation, but I find it interesting that in a recent press conference where the topic of Martz came up, Lovie Smith pretty much got irate over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I think Martz needs to be a HC or nothing due to his all or nothing approach to the game. Well see where he lands...
    Spot on. It's clear Martz can't take being dictated to. I don't see him getting a head coaching position in the NFL, but the NCAA looks like a possibility.

I dont think feuds is the right word. Martz has a known offensive philosophy. Why in the world would you hire him if you wanted a ball control offense? I dont see him as having "refused to go with the flow" we have no way to know what the hiring conversations were. How about this "Mike, we will let you run the offense your way," and then someone changes the deal on him once he is hired. It happens in business all the time. Singletary was a miserable failure.
    Martz is a convenient fall guy for the problems in chicago after cutler got hurt. Its lovie who should have been canned, he is massively overated as both a coach and a defensive guy.
    ramming speed to all

general counsel

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I dunno GC .. No question Mad Mike can conjure up the X's and O's, but if he were to come back, I'd want to spend at least 2 high draft picks on our O-line, and then get at least one more really good proven vet if not two through FA. We could still take Blackmon with our #1 though .. Sam's taken a beating lately, and we need to protect him with better run blocking, and pass blocking. Polian ?? Guess I don't know enough about him ...
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

We all know of Martz' troubles with the Rams FO, and that could be partially explained, given the incompetance of Shaw and company, but I've heard on more than one occasion that Martz is difficult to work with. When you think your system is the be all and end all of everything and are unwilling to make adjustments for the betterment of the ENTIRE TEAM, that rubs coaches and execs the wrong way. And I believe Martz is perceived to be very intractible and not at all flexible in his thinking.

A real good example: Many people (me included) blasted him for his frivolous use of time outs when he was a head coach. It is absolutely sound judgment to think a coach should save his timeouts in the event they are desperately needed at the end of a game rather than burn them carelessly- and several times the Rams were caught without any at critical junctures of a close game. Rather than re-think the issue and see the logic in such sentiment, Martz stubbornly defended the practice more than once in print interviews.

I have always been grateful to him and given him credit for his work during our title run. But there must be a legitimate reason he has worn out his welcome with 4 different organizations in the span of 8 years- it can't be because 'everyone is ganging up on poor Mike Martz".

I dont think feuds is the right word. Martz has a known offensive philosophy. Why in the world would you hire him if you wanted a ball control offense? I dont see him as having "refused to go with the flow" we have no way to know what the hiring conversations were.

These are the types of things that were widely reported on Martz:

While Jon Kitna always was firmly in Martz's corner, the offensive linemen were not. One, the linemen believed Martz wasn't just a pass-happy coordinator, but a pass-always type of guy and they don't agree with that philosophy.

The desire to run the ball more led to a rather significant blowup by offensive line coach Jim Colletto earlier this season. It was so intense that Martz agreed to let Colletto handle the design of the running game (but Martz would continue to call all the plays). That fixed things for awhile and the Lions were actually running the ball effectively until the Arizona game -- the one where the Lions finished with minus-18 yards rushing. The linemen -- along with several members of the coaching staff -- were livid with Martz's playcalling in that game and it really marked the beginning of the end.

The relationship between Martz and Marinelli always was one of mutual respect but also of high intensity. Both men are absolutely rigid in their beliefs and won't back down from anyone or anything. The hitch is that Marinelli's the boss.

As the other problems began to mount, Marinelli wanted Martz to throttle down the offense a little bit so the other issues could be addressed. When that didn't happen to Marinelli's liking, their relationship suffered. If Martz decides to resign, Marinelli won't be asking him to change his mind.
    The situation behind the scenes has been rocky and tumultuous for the last several weeks. Members of the coaching staff -- the offensive staff -- have openly questioned Martz's desire to run the ball and some of the offensive players are upset the Lions aren't making more of a commitment to running the ball. Martz has felt the pressure and is doing things he normally wouldn't do.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Really? Jim the Chris Everett? TJ Rubley? Chris Miller? Chris Chandler?? All QBs under sMartz as QB coach. KW? He buried KW only for KW to prove him truly mad in AZ (and arguably what made KW was learning quick reads and qucik releases in the Arena L). MB? I submit he never developed, he was just told to take 7 steps back and throw it downfield while simultaneously getting pounded.

New owner, new staff, new personnel, new surroundings. This is not a case of the devil you know rather than the devil you don't. Time to turn the page. Sorry GC, you have been playing with too much mercury while making those hats ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast