Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: fisher and mad mike with bill polian

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

Re: fisher and mad mike with bill polian

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too View Post
    Really? Jim the Chris Everett? TJ Rubley? Chris Miller? Chris Chandler?? All QBs under sMartz as QB coach. KW? He buried KW only for KW to prove him truly mad in AZ (and arguably what made KW was learning quick reads and qucik releases in the Arena L). MB? I submit he never developed, he was just told to take 7 steps back and throw it downfield while simultaneously getting pounded.

New owner, new staff, new personnel, new surroundings. This is not a case of the devil you know rather than the devil you don't. Time to turn the page. Sorry GC, you have been playing with too much mercury while making those hats ...
    Uh, Mike Martz was never QB coach to Everett, Rubley, Chandler, or Miller.

Marc Bulger had his best years under Martz.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by GroundChuck View Post
    Uh, Mike Martz was never QB coach to Everett, Rubley, Chandler, or Miller.
    Martz was the Los Angeles Rams QB coach from 92-94 when those players were on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Martz was the Los Angeles Rams QB coach from 92-94 when those players were on the team.
    QB coach in 1994
    Offensive assistant 1992-1993

Never was QB coach for Jim Everett or TJ Rubley, Miller and Chandler - yes.

But I do stand corrected...
    Last edited by GroundChuck; -01-04-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Well then, I stand corrected.
    No worries, it's easy to forget Martz's uneventful tenure with the Rams as a mere underling of offensive legend Ernie Zampese.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Martz will get Sam killed!

QB coach in 1994
    Offensive assistant 1992-1993

Never was QB coach for Jim Everett or TJ Rubley, Miller and Chandler - yes.

But I do stand corrected...
    Well, one of us stands corrected, because the official title depends on what reference you use.

Well, one of us stands corrected, because the official title depends on what reference you use.
    Absolutely!!

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Boy, talk about some names from the past!! Jim Everett was a very good QB who had some good seasons with the Rams. He unfortunately takes a hit for not getting the Rams to a Super Bowl and the infamous "phantom sack" against SF in the '89 title game. And then of course there were the "Chrissy" Everett comments by that unprofessional moron Jim Rome.

Chris Chandler was actually a pretty good QB- certainly not a huge star, but he could win you games. Unfortunately, both he and Chris Miller always seemed to be hurt.

Very understanding that there may be some confusion here- the 90's were a graveyard for Rams football- similar to what we've experienced the last several years in the 2000's.

Truth is offline Registered User

...Marc Bulger had his best years under Martz.
    True. He also suffered a tremendous pounding that made Bulger less effective shortly following Martz's forced departure from the Rams. Warner was also pounded mercilessly in Martz's system. Had Warner stayed with the Rams, I'm certain his future Hall of Fame status would be significantly less likely. His ability to walk, hold a glass of water in his right hand, or stand in a crowded elevator without breaking into a cold sweat would also be questionable.

While I greatly appreciate what Martz did to help the Rams become the GSOT, I think many Martz fans ignore his part in the dimantling of the club in subsequent years. I know the Martz appologists are going to flame me, and throw out the usual statistics to prove their point. Just remember, Martz inherited a championship team. When he left, they were a mere shadow of themselves. If you're going to give him credit for the teams success, you must add in equal parts for their ultimate failure. As for getting along with the teams in recent history, why did he just resign from Chicago citing "Philisophical difffernces" (read: they want me to use the run too much)? I'll pass on Martz.
    THOLTFAN81 and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

The fact that 4 teams have jettisoned him in recent years, should tell you all you need to know. I dont understand how Marty Schottenheimer cant get back into the league...but this buffoon keeps getting jobs.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    The fact that 4 teams have jettisoned him in recent years, should tell you all you need to know. I dont understand how Marty Schottenheimer cant get back into the league...but this buffoon keeps getting jobs .

Strictly OC jobs, mind you. After the mess he made of the Rams. Id imagine, their's not an owner out there today. Who would touch him with a barge pole, as a HC.?? The proof in the pudding can be shown by Al Davis. He absolutely loved Martz, but even he knew not to take a chance on this guy.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -01-04-2012 at 10:02 PM.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Well, someone stands corrected, because the official title depends on what reference you use.
    Frankly, I don't even care if it turns out I doctored the reference and made it up. Everett to Flipper for 300+ was never of sMartz's doing. And really my point was that sMartz has been given way too much credit for the brief reemergence of the franchise.

It was a confluence of events which he wasn't able to duplicate as HC or OC elsewhere. Bringing him back would just be resurrecting the dead ... I've seen enough undead in the SpecialEd Team's play to not want any reminders about why Vermeil may have left.

Put a stake in it. The chorus line dancer has danced her last step. The kids have stopped playing with the toys. Let's give the adults a chance again.

But, if the reason one is so enamored with sMartz is because one was so fascinated with him going downfield all the time, I suggest one revisits the Saunders or Zampese variants of Air-Coryell. But sMartz??? No thanks.

I really don't want to seen another sequel of [I]Final Destination[I]. He got lucky and survived a couple of accidents and resurfaced elsewhere. Enough already. You've seen one zombie movie, you've seen them all.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

While I do not have a lot of hard statistics to prove it, I do not believe that bringing back old coaches/managers who were successful with that same team in the past is usually effective. You do not catch lightning in a bottle twice, and I think it's an emotional appeal rather than sound judgment to hire ex-coaches/staff from the past. For instance, Chuck Knox was a very good coach in his heyday, but his 2nd stint with the Rams was unsuccessful. Different circumstances create different results.

The Martz tenure produced some successes and some failures, and Martz himself offered both the good and the bad with his offensive system and dealings with QB's. I think we'd be better served to look ahead rather than try to duplicate success by looking to the past.
    Truth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too View Post
    Frankly, I don't even care if it turns out I doctored the reference and made it up. Everett to Flipper for 300+ was never of sMartz's doing. And really my point was that sMartz has been given way too much credit for the brief reemergence of the franchise.
    I was actually referring to GroundChuck and myself in that post with regard to the references we used as to when Martz was the Rams QB coach.

Back on topic, I don't think there is any question that Martz is a great offensive mind who helped develop guys like Warner, Bulger and Fitzpatrick in St. Louis, as well as Green in Washington, but his proven inability to co-exist within the team concept is something I would stay away from, far away.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

Was Polian with the Colts for the Marshall Faulk trade? If so then he may have contributed to the Rams Superbowl win and GSOT as much as Mike Martz.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast