Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By RamDez
  • 4 Post By RAMFANRAIDERHATER

Thread: Fisher, Rams dealing with 5-game winless stretch

Rambos is offline Registered User

Fisher, Rams dealing with 5-game winless stretch

By R.B. FALLSTROM

ST. LOUIS (AP) A five-game winless stretch has the rebuilding St. Louis Rams stuck on three wins.

Coach Jeff Fisher reminded one of the NFL's youngest rosters on Monday that with more consistency, and perhaps a turnover or two, the tide will turn.

Also, how easily momentum can swing in a game.

"They didn't like it, don't like it, but they saw where their opportunities were and they understand how this thing slipped away," Fisher said. "And they're determined not to let it happen again."

Fisher was critical of some officiating calls in Sunday's 27-13 loss to the New York Jets, notably a holding penalty that nullified rookie Chris Givens' 98-yard kickoff return near the end of the half that would have given the Rams a 14-13 lead.

He added that rookie Rodney McLeod, whose technique was fine except for a prolonged tug of the jersey, could have given officials no reason to target him.

"You know, there's three holdings on their first kickoff that aren't called and all of them were more egregious than the one that was called," Fisher said. "I'll just leave it at that."

Fisher said the Jets' Chaz Schilens did a good job of acting on the play.

"When the arms go up, sometimes that's all it takes," the coach said. "But we're not good enough to even put ourselves in position to where they think it's a hold."

Fisher said he probably should have given the ball more to Steven Jackson, who averaged 6.2 yards on 13 carries for St. Louis (3-6-1).

He didn't think quarterback Sam Bradford wasn't guilty of hanging onto the ball too long while perhaps intimidated a bit by an early interception.

"They did a good job affecting coverage and taking away checkdowns. He was just trying to make plays," Fisher said. "There was a couple times where he probably could have pulled it down and run a little bit and got the first down.

"He knows someone's chasing him, he doesn't know who."

Bradford was 6 for 8 for 60 yards on the Rams' opening 13-play, 86-yard drive capped by Brandon Gibson's 1-yard scoring catch. He was 8 for 10 for 79 yards before getting picked off by Eric Smith on a short sideline pattern, and 15 for 34 for 91 yards the rest of the way.

"It was just a late throw," Bradford said. "I know better than that. You can't come across the field. I tried to force it."

Jackson shared time with backup Daryl Richardson much of the first half of the season, part of the time while recovering from a groin injury.

Fisher has said this time of the season is when they'll lean on the 235-pound bruiser who's seeking his eighth consecutive 1,000-yard season, so it was puzzling to see Richardson in the game for more than a play or two at a time.

"I think in retrospect, we probably should have fed `Jack' a little more," Fisher said. "I talked to him today about it. He ran over some people, some good players.

"We're going to have to commit to that."

A few turnovers, or just one, would help the Rams dictate terms. According to STATS LLC, they're just the second team since 1950 to go five games without a takeaway.

"You get a bounce here and there, but right now they're not bouncing our way," safety Quintin Mikell said. "It's crazy, because that could be the difference in the game."

The Rams had appeared to be poised for a surge after outplaying powerful San Francisco the previous week. Because of crucial mistakes, they settled for a tie.

"I don't believe in the whole `step forward, step back' stuff," middle linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "We definitely viewed this as a game that we thought we could get, and it's disappointing to lose one at home.

"I'm not going to lie about it. We have to figure out how to win games like these."

The second half was all Jets. They put up 27 unanswered points before the Rams got a late score on Gibson's second TD grab, and not counting a kneel-down on the final play their last 21 snaps were all in St. Louis territory.

The Rams had six snaps in Jets territory the first possession and two more in the second quarter, but none in the third.

"Field position was tough, especially in the third quarter," Fisher said. "Field position played a big part in the game."

Re: Fisher, Rams dealing with 5-game winless stretch

A few turnovers, or just one, would help the Rams dictate terms. According to STATS LLC, they're just the second team since 1950 to go five games without a takeaway.
    This and is unreal. Turnovers are such a big factor in the out come of games this is killing us.

Not so sure that being a young team and making mistakes is the biggest reason for the winless streak. Without turnovers you need to play perfect and that's not going to happen any time soon. The ball needs to bounce our way over the next five games!
    ManofGod likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

A dubious "record" for sure.........62 years and the 2012 rams are only the second team to not record a turnover....not your 2-14 2011 rams but your 2012 rams.

We can talk about our QB, O line, receivers ect. The biggest factor is the lack of turnovers. The team that wins the turnovers totals wins about 80% of the time, regardless how players perform.

No turns overs in the last 5 games... equals no wins in the last five games. Next week I want to see a turnover from us before we score a point!

While the team with the most first downs wins 66% of the time, and the yardage champ hits 68%, the turnover winner is also the scoreboard winner in 78% of the games.

I am noy going to make a big thing about that turnover stat. You can live and die on stats and that is not a very good one from a statistical point of view. Its just the luck of the breaks, the way the ball falls. Look at whats happened the the bears the last two games .....
    Truth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    I am noy going to make a big thing about that turnover stat. You can live and die on stats and that is not a very good one from a statistical point of view. Its just the luck of the breaks, the way the ball falls. Look at whats happened the the bears the last two games .....

Except this only the SECOND time in 50 years for this type of turnover drought.

mh-i is offline Registered User

It seems to me the Rams defense played decent against teams with weak offensive lines but as the season has gone along are being manhandled by any opponent. When they pressured the QB early in the season they were able to force turnovers on bad throws. I thought our dline and linebackers, if nothing else this season, would control the point of attack more than they have. It's becoming same ol'-same ol'.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

It is true about the funny bounces a football can take. Watch the last two games carefully and the Rams could have had as many as 4-5 turnovers had the ball bounced in their favor. It's crazy, the ball hits the turf when Smith fumbles in SF and it bounces right back to the him. The ball gets loose from Pead and it sits right there on the turf! Doesn't bounce out of bounds, which is a couple of feet away, but just sits there! Last week the Jets got a turnover when the fumble by Bradford bounces right up into the hands of a Jet. Rams all around it bounces to the freakin' Jet?

The opportunities are there, the bounces are just not happening. But the law of averages says that will change.

The problem I'm having in the turnover department is the lack of INT's.... Our high-priced CB and highly touted rookies are producing squat in turnovers since the first couple of weeks. That has got to change.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Except this only the SECOND time in 50 years for this type of turnover drought.
    And yet, the Rams were in a position to beat the "Idiots by the bay" TWICE, without turnovers. Poor play and questionable play calling are our biggest issues right now.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    And yet, the Rams were in a position to beat the "Idiots by the bay" TWICE, without turnovers. Poor play and questionable play calling are our biggest issues right now.
    True. But, therein lays the frustration one can have with the team called Rams. Almost whup one of the best teams only to lay a huge egg a week later.......sigh

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

The thing that keeps me up at night isn't the record, or losing streak, it's HOW they've lost some of their games. How many big plays have the Rams given back because of some stupid meaningless penalty?

I understand that youth and inexperience in the NFL will take it's toll, but each week it's the same thing. A potential play that will either get the Rams back in the game, or put a team away, and something ridiculously easy to fix bites them in the backside. I'm hoping that with each dumb mistake a lesson is learned and it won't be repeated. At least, that's what should be happening. As the season rolls on, I would expect the Rams to play a little more disciplined football and start pulling out games instead of giving them away. There are games like the Patriots, Green Bay and Bears where the Rams were simply outmatched and outplayed by better teams, and I expected that, but they have to start playing smarter, more disciplined football sometime soon. I would hope.

Look, guys drop passes, QB's throw bad passes, guys fumble the ball on every team. It happens because it's a hard game to play, and the physicality of it reeks havoc on the mind and body. But losing games because you can't line up properly, or feel the need to tug on someone's jersey after the ball carrier has passed you by, is just plain undisciplined and needs to be addressed at some point soon.

This is the coaches responsibility. Fisher needs to bench guys that continue to commit bonehead plays, and send a message that they need to be in the game, and in the moment mentally as well as physically or they will sit the pine.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I'm not so worried about the lack of turnovers as I am worried about our lack of offense.

It won't matter how many turnovers we get if we can't take advantage of those opportunities.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

The lack of takeaways is ridiculous too though