Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Fisher on Saffold: "he's going to be an outstanding Guard in this league"

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Fisher on Saffold: "he's going to be an outstanding Guard in this league"

One of the most interesting takeaways from Fisher's combine press conference was that he affirmed that he saw Saffold as a Guard and not a Tackle in the NFL.

We know big Rog has had some problems coming to terms with Fish's perception of him in the past, not returning his calls last year when we signed Jake Long.

I personally would like to see Saffold back at guard for us in 2014, but for a man who has often said he wants to play Tackle, is this quote the straw that breaks the camel's back?

What do you think? Will Saffold be a Ram in 2014?

Re: Fisher on Saffold: "he's going to be an outstanding Guard in this league"

Also worth noting that Jim Thomas on twitter suspects Arizona would have a big interest in Saffold should he hit the open market.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I think he won't be back, but I would certainly love it if he was. Having him at RG and a new LG like Greg Robinson would probably give us one of the best O-lines in the league. Imagine the push they'd get in the running game? Jesus.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a not too subtle hint to Rodger: if you want a long-term contract of a high quality starting OG, we'd love to have you. If you're looking for LT money, nice knowing you.
    Dwight Frye and DE_Ramfan like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I wouldn't be shocked if Saffold went elsewhere, not because a team is willing to pay him significantly more than the Rams are offering, but rather because they're willing to give him a chance to play at left tackle.

I mean, it's tough to really say with any certainty being that we're fans reading articles on a message board, but my impression is that being considered a left tackle is almost a point of personal pride with him.

Arizona makes a lot of sense, as Saffold would be an upgrade at left tackle over Bradley Sowell. Who better to block Robert Quinn and Chris Long in important divisional games than someone who has gone up against them in practice?

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I think he won't be back, but I would certainly love it if he was. Having him at RG and a new LG like Greg Robinson would probably give us one of the best O-lines in the league. Imagine the push they'd get in the running game? Jesus.
    By the sounds of things you're quite sold on this idea of taking an OT and pushing him inside to guard. That push sure would be tasty, though.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I think saffold is going to leave. He will find his money and primary desired position in the FA period.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    By the sounds of things you're quite sold on this idea of taking an OT and pushing him inside to guard. That push sure would be tasty, though.
    Well I'd prefer to leave them at LT, but it doesn't look likely. We're stuck with Jake Long (haha ...stuck) and he is not moving anywhere from LT so we need to find a new place for the incoming guy. Plus for Robinson I wouldn't want him to learn how to play RT and then switch back over to LT in a year, so I would be pleased putting him at LG.

Jake Long is the best run blocking LT in the game. I couldn't imagine how big holes they'd clear. Robinson may be just as good as Long run blocking right now. Last year they made big holes and instead had Chris Williams. Robinson and Long would also be a wise decision to run behind on 3rd and shorts, 4th downs, and goal line plays.

THE DREAM TEAM

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    I really like Saffold, but am cooling on him a bit. While he 's a known quantity , (both good and bad), if you think about it, Rams could have Matthews and Robinson/Lewan for two years at the same cost as RS for one.

Bartell keeps coming to mind - hottest corner out there, (per the pundits), and IIRC, lasted two more years and wasn't "all that".

Stick to the (I pray) five year plan, build some depth, (we aren't going to the playoffs next year), and keep drafting well.

We have NINE, count' em, NINE players left from the team Fisher inherited. No on Clownwy, maybe on Evans/ Watkins at 13, and Safety, Safety, Safety.

OK, think I got everything covered.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Arizona makes a lot of sense, as Saffold would be an upgrade at left tackle over Bradley Sowell. Who better to block Robert Quinn and Chris Long in important divisional games than someone who has gone up against them in practice?
    Perhaps it was seeing Saffold go up against Quinn every day in practice that made Fisher so sure that Saffold would be better off playing guard

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I think Saffold will re-sign, and become a pro-bowl level OG, as Fisher alludes to.
    live4ramin likes this.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Whether Roger likes it or not his resume says he is a guard now, demoted from right tackle demoted from left tackle.
    Kiss my ass, football gods

shower beers is offline Registered User

If I were Saffold and looking for a LT gig, it wouldn't be for the Cardinals, knowing I'd have to line up against Quinn twice a year.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    If I were Saffold and looking for a LT gig, it wouldn't be for the Cardinals, knowing I'd have to line up against Quinn twice a year.
    Same goes for me. Robert Quinn single handedly made TWO LT's lose their jobs last year! (Cards and Saints)

THE DREAM TEAM

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I'm sure Quinn would ruin his LT career the first meeting we face him.
    RealRam likes this.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast