Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 3 Post By mde8352gorams
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam
  • 2 Post By NJ Ramsfan1

Thread: Fisher: Sam Bradford Will Be Ready For Rams Opener

  1. #1
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,086
    Rep Power
    132

    Fisher: Sam Bradford Will Be Ready For Rams Opener

    Fisher: Sam Bradford will be ready for Rams opener

    By Chris Wesseling
    Around the League Writer
    Published: June 4, 2014 at 10:12 a.m.

    St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford has had no setback in regards to his surgically repaired knee since he predicted in January that he would be ready for the start of training camp.

    Appearing on NFL Network's NFL AM on Wednesday, coach Jeff Fisher emphasized there is "no doubt whatsoever" that Bradford will be under center for the season opener in early September."Everybody does projections. We projected his numbers out had he stayed healthy last year," Fisher added. "They would have been quite impressive, and who knows what would have happened down the stretch."

    What Fisher didn't say is that Bradford regressed at times before the injury and padded those numbers in garbage time.

    The recent history of quarterbacks returning from ACL injuries doesn't bode well for Bradford's chances of finally establishing himself as the face of the franchise after an underwhelming 18-30-1 record across four seasons.

    Tom Brady, Carson Palmer and Robert Griffin III have all struggled in the first season following ACL surgery.

    The Rams have pushed their chips to the center of the table on Bradford, bypassing the opportunity to draft more dynamic quarterbacks such as RGIII and Johnny Manziel.

    For better or worse, Fisher and general manager Les Snead are backing an enigmatic signal-caller with a golden arm but shaky pocket presence and come-and-go accuracy.

    Unless Bradford makes an unlikely fifth-year leap while hindered by a bulky knee brace, the Rams are doomed to mediocrity in the NFL's most competitive division.

    Video of the interview :

    St. Louis Rams head coach Jeff Fisher: 'I'm pleased right now' - NFL Videos


  2. #2
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,574
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Fisher: Sam Bradford Will Be Ready For Rams Opener

    Name:  Rodney2.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  7.4 KB

    What Fisher didn't say is that Bradford regressed at times before the injury and padded those numbers in garbage time.


    Edit

    The recent history of quarterbacks returning from ACL injuries doesn't bode well for Bradford's chances of finally establishing himself as the face of the franchise after an underwhelming 18-30-1 record across four seasons.

    Tom Brady,
    2009

    Brady really struggled the next year.

    Had 565 attempts comp % 65.7 for 4,398 yards and 28 TDs 13 INTs RAT 96.2.
    Last edited by Rambos; -06-04-2014 at 02:39 PM.

  3. #3
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,086
    Rep Power
    132

    Re: Fisher: Sam Bradford Will Be Ready For Rams Opener

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Name:  Rodney2.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  7.4 KB

    What Fisher didn't say is that Bradford regressed at times before the injury and padded those numbers in garbage time.
    Imagine that, an opinion that isn't exactly flattering about Bradford.

  4. #4
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,050
    Rep Power
    172

    Re: Fisher: Sam Bradford Will Be Ready For Rams Opener

    Wesseling has been a Bradford basher for a while, so his negativity is no surprise. What is a surprise is how incredibly wrong he is. Bradford's numbers did not come in "garbage time" last year. Wesseling is just talking out of his posterior on that one.

    I think everyone here would be well-served to stop looking to the talking heads, bloggers, tweeters and sports bar know-it-alls for opinions. Watch Sam play and decide for yourself what kind of QB he is.

    From my perspective, he's not Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers. He is, however, good enough to succeed, in my opinion, if he has a quality team around him. My hope is that this is the year that he proves me right. If not, next year will be a very good draft for QBs (much better than this year), so the Rams will have options.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -06-04-2014 at 03:00 PM.
    Nick and mde8352gorams like this.

  5. #5
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,574
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Fisher: Sam Bradford Will Be Ready For Rams Opener

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Imagine that, an opinion that isn't exactly flattering about Bradford.
    Yeah and he seems to be going out of his way with no facts, show me where I can confirm the garbage time stats?

    RG3 was in his second year, is still learning to play from the pocket was forced to stay in the pocket and make plays. RG3 did not participate in OTAs or Camp or any of the preseason games. Sam will be doing all three... not really a fair comparison IMO. ACL will hamper RG3 game far more then Sams IMO.

    Bradford regressed at times before the injury? He had a really bad game against the whiners, if every time a player has a bad game he's regression then I would agree, but I don't believe that. If over the last three games your QB has a RAT 111 and you win two of those games, so me where the garbage time is in those games?
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

  6. #6
    FestusRam's Avatar
    FestusRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri
    Posts
    1,293
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: Fisher: Sam Bradford Will Be Ready For Rams Opener

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    What Fisher didn't say is that Bradford regressed at times before the injury and padded those numbers in garbage time.
    Where are the stats to back up this claim? Oh wait, there aren't any.

  7. #7
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,050
    Rep Power
    172

    Re: Fisher: Sam Bradford Will Be Ready For Rams Opener

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Yeah and he seems to be going out of his way with no facts, show me where I can confirm the garbage time stats?

    RG3 was in his second year, is still learning to play from the pocket was forced to stay in the pocket and make plays. RG3 did not participate in OTAs or Camp or any of the preseason games. Sam will be doing all three... not really a fair comparison IMO. ACL will hamper RG3 game far more then Sams IMO.

    Bradford regressed at times before the injury? He had a really bad game against the whiners, if every time a player has a bad game he's regression then I would agree, but I don't believe that. If over the last three games your QB has a RAT 111 and you win two of those games, so me where the garbage time is in those games?
    This is the type of nonsense we get from "sportswriters" these days. The article is supposed to be an update on Bradford's health but, because the writer doesn't like Sam (for whatever reason), he throws in an unnecessary dig that isn't even remotely factual.

    And you wonder why casual fans often have a negative view of Sam.

  8. #8
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,050
    Rep Power
    172

    Re: Fisher: Sam Bradford Will Be Ready For Rams Opener

    To test the hypothesis, let's define the term "garbage time" as (a) any time when the team is up or down by 20+ points, or (b) fourth quarter time when the team is up or down by 14+ points (which is actually a pretty generous definition given that TD leads in the fourth have been overcome with some frequency).

    Based upon that definition, Bradford threw exactly 1 TD pass in garbage time last year (vs. SF).

  9. #9
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,086
    Rep Power
    132

    Re: Fisher: Sam Bradford Will Be Ready For Rams Opener

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    This is the type of nonsense we get from "sportswriters" these days. The article is supposed to be an update on Bradford's health but, because the writer doesn't like Sam (for whatever reason), he throws in an unnecessary dig that isn't even remotely factual.
    Par for the course. It's amazing to me that Bradford detractors regularly point to unsubstantiated, erroneous reasons why he's not a good QB. I have no problem with the opinion that Bradford needs to show more and that he hasn't lived up to expectations, but to make tone deaf assertions like he regressed before the injury (when as Rambos pointed out is completely false), just points to warped perceptions.

  10. #10
    mde8352gorams's Avatar
    mde8352gorams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,848
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Fisher: Sam Bradford Will Be Ready For Rams Opener

    AV, by your definition of "garbage time" the Atlanta game fits that as well. As I recall he staged a terrific comeback that almost won the game had our defense not surrendered the winning TD with little time left. On a different scale he staged the winning drive in the opener against AZ.

    I agree with your point, watch Sam and then form an opinion. I'll take his accuracy any day of the week. Wesseling in contrast is a horse's a**.

    Go Rams!
    AvengerRam, Rambos and r8rh8rmike like this.

  11. #11
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,050
    Rep Power
    172

    Re: Fisher: Sam Bradford Will Be Ready For Rams Opener

    Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    AV, by your definition of "garbage time" the Atlanta game fits that as well. As I recall he staged a terrific comeback that almost won the game had our defense not surrendered the winning TD with little time left. On a different scale he staged the winning drive in the opener against AZ.
    Well, when I said "14+" I meant more than 14 points so, technically, that game would not qualify.

    Certainly, his two TD passes in the 4th quarter of that game, both of which reduced the gap from 14 to 7 points, would not constiute "stat padding in garbage time" by any reasonable measure.

    I agree with your point, watch Sam and then form an opinion. I'll take his accuracy any day of the week. Wesseling in contrast is a horse's a**.
    Here's what gets me about these guys... they actually get paid to write about sports. Think about that. They get paid for something that most of us do as a hobby. You would think that people like that would at least have enough respect for their craft to prompt them to... I don't know... do a little research from time to time.
    r8rh8rmike and mde8352gorams like this.

  12. #12
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,474
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Fisher: Sam Bradford Will Be Ready For Rams Opener

    We've been through this for years. The bottom line is that nothing will satisfy his detractors or fans clammoring for a winning season (we've waited 10 years) until the man produces a 16 game statistically productive season that leads to winning football. I have supported him and don't in any way regret drafting him. But eventually one receives a bill with "balance due" written at the top. And it is time he gives us an outstanding year.

    Fisher and Snead have drafted whom they feel is a good enough surrounding cast to support him. And if he's deemed healthy, he'll be expected to perform. Now is the time.

    One other thing I will say not necessarily germane to this article: The people who feel we have a good enough group of receivers on this team better not whine and bellyache about Bradford's "lack of weapons" if he falters.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -06-05-2014 at 09:59 AM.
    ramsbruce and mde8352gorams like this.

  13. #13
    cowboyhater's Avatar
    cowboyhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Rockford, Illinois
    Posts
    444
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Fisher: Sam Bradford Will Be Ready For Rams Opener

    I remember watching Craig Morton with the New York Giants. He had no offensive line, and he looked old and washed up. He was a joke at 37.

    When the Denver Broncos picked him up, he led the team to its first Super Bowl appearance, besting Terry Bradshaw and Kenny Stabler.

    He went on to lead the Broncos for five more years.

    Sam Bradford is much better, and younger, than Craig Morton was then.

  14. #14
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,574
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Fisher: Sam Bradford Will Be Ready For Rams Opener

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    We've been through this for years. The bottom line is that nothing will satisfy his detractors or fans clammoring for a winning season (we've waited 10 years) until the man produces a 16 game statistically productive season that leads to winning football. I have supported him and don't in any way regret drafting him. But eventually one receives a bill with "balance due" written at the top. And it is time he gives us an outstanding year.

    Fisher and Snead have drafted whom they feel is a good enough surrounding cast to support him. And if he's deemed healthy, he'll be expected to perform. Now is the time.

    One other thing I will say not necessarily germane to this article: The people who feel we have a good enough group of receivers on this team better not whine and bellyache about Bradford's "lack of weapons" if he falters.
    I think a winning season is more important then him having a off the charts breakout year. If the team wins more game then they lose this year that will go a long way. If he looks better then most QBs in the NFL and we have a losing record he's going to take the heat for it, just the way it is when you are the QB.

    we've waited 10 years I was ready an article about how the LA Kings rebuilt the team through the draft and the GM was talking to the fans telling them every year we are getting younger and better. He said that's what you want to get younger and better every year until you have a great young team. It took the fans some time to see the results and now they are a great young championship team built to win multiple cups. I see us on the same path, we are getting younger and better every year at some point we will have too much talent and will be a winner.

Similar Threads

  1. Rams Ready for Preseason Opener
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -08-12-2012, 10:10 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: -01-06-2012, 02:18 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: -09-11-2009, 03:31 PM
  4. Rams Ready For Preseason Opener
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -08-14-2009, 05:11 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -08-31-2004, 03:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •