Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Fisher Says Washington Made Best Trade Offer

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Fisher Says Washington Made Best Trade Offer

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    It's a whole lot easier for Cleveland to say they offered 3 first rounders when no one will know without the trade being completed. While I would not do it, it could very well be that the RAMS are not raising the BS flag to show the rest of the league that are an honorable team to deal with. I highly suspect that if the Browns had really offered 3 firsts (early reports said that Cleveland was complaining that the RAMs were asking too much, and they were only offering 2 firsts), the RAMS would have taken it.

gap
    The article said RAMS SOURCES CLAIMED Cleveland would have given us a 3rd 1st round pick. Why would they say this if it weren't true?

Obviously there are merits to both the Washington deal and the deal with Cleveland that never happened. My point is simple: The bar has been raised with Fisher's hiring. And while a certain degree of patience is always needed when a new regime takes over a mediocre team, I'm simply not on board with another 5 year plan before we become playoff ready. No sir. The future is now.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

When I see highlights of players like DeAnthony Thomas, freshman RB for Oregon, it confirms my belief that it is better to have 2 1st rounders in 2014, than this year.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

3 initials, and 3 words why this will work out in the future: DGB : Dorial Green Beckham!

When he declares after two dominate years at Mizzou, we will still be sitting with two first rounders. Then the kid can stay at home in Mizzou when we acquire him at all costs (hopefully Wash is a mess...sorry RGIII)

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Dorial Green Beckham looks like a future beast.

A few prospects I'm looking forward to for next year are:

Seantrel Henderson (OT)

Marcus Lattimore (RB)

Guys- you surely CAN'T be serious. You cannot look at a guy right now in college and say 'well, this guy's gonna' be a stud in 2-3 years. COME ON!! Things change dramatically in the sport of football. Some guys get hurt. Some guys' ability levels peak. Some guys, despite great talent never grasp the mental end of the game in the NFL. Some guys' games simply don't translate well to the pro level. Some guys fail out of school. I can understand the logic in getting future draft picks; it is complete folly, however to target specific guys two-three years down the road. Plus, how do we know where our selections will be in the 1st round and whethter or not those guys would even be available?

It is hard enough to make a decision on a guy who is being drafted in a month, much less on a someone who is a college freshman or sophomore. It is fashionable to "project" and "predict", but it usually doesn't pan out the way we thought. That's why to me taking the two first rounders this year (plus a third 1st rounder next year) from Cleveland would have been just as good if not better than the deal we made with Washington.

We can plan for the future and still prioritize 2012. I'm not interested in waiting to be competitive and win.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm not going to scout incoming Freshman, but I understand the desire to spread the picks out. We simply don't know what our primary needs will be a year (or two years) from now, so its nice to know we'll have an extra first round pick in each of the next two drafts to address those needs.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

We're an instant gratification society (one of the many signs of our downfall, but I digress). We want our picks now, and I understand that. But you show me somebody who would rather take 2 first rounders in 2012, and I'll show you someone pining for an extra first round pick when 2013 and 2014 rolls around.
    MauiRam and SWFCRAM like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm not going to scout incoming Freshman, but I understand the desire to spread the picks out. We simply don't know what our primary needs will be a year (or two years) from now, so its nice to know we'll have an extra first round pick in each of the next two drafts to address those needs.
    It definitely is nice to know we'll have extra 1st round picks next year and the year after, but I would have preferred an extra 1st round pick this year and next. That would probably get us to where we want to be a little sooner and as previously stated, we've been waiting a long time for things to turn around. But I'm still happy with the Washington trade.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    It definitely is nice to know we'll have extra 1st round picks next year and the year after, but I would have preferred an extra 1st round pick this year and next. That would probably get us to where we want to be a little sooner and as previously stated, we've been waiting a long time for things to turn around. But I'm still happy with the Washington trade.
    Thank you. My sentiments exactly. The "Instant Gratification" statement doesn't apply here. We've waited 8 years for a winner and have endured god-awful play. One shouldn't apologize for wanting to win in 2012- instead of having to wait YET AGAIN for success. And nowhere have I ever implied the deal with Washington was a bad one- only that in my opinion a better one may have presented itself with Cleveland. If "Rams Sources" are to be believed, that deal would have addressed this season AND given us at least a future 1st rounder if not more.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -03-29-2012 at 10:26 AM.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    The article said RAMS SOURCES CLAIMED Cleveland would have given us a 3rd 1st round pick. Why would they say this if it weren't true?
    Sources in the Whitehouse say that President Obama is appologizing for ACA (I think that is what they are calling it now), and he is removing his bid for re-election due to the embarasement.

See how easy that is to type? That is the oldest trick in the reporters book, especially since they have a constitutional right to not name their source. It is open season for lying, just so the report can write a story that stirs up the readership. There can be absolutely no truth in the matter, and no one will know.

That supposed source also didn't say if that offer was made before or after the RAMS accepted the Washington offer. Now, my memory is not what it used to be, but I certainly remember reports that Cleveland's first offer was for two firsts and a second. And they were also complaining that the RAMS were asking too much. So if two firsts and a second was too much, do you really believe they were offering three firsts?

IMO, someone is lying, and I doubt it is Fishead.

gap

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    3 initials, and 3 words why this will work out in the future: DGB : Dorial Green Beckham!

When he declares after two dominate years at Mizzou, we will still be sitting with two first rounders. Then the kid can stay at home in Mizzou when we acquire him at all costs (hopefully Wash is a mess...sorry RGIII)
    I think having 1st's spread out over two years like we have is a lot better. That said, DGB is a MONSTER. He's in the 12th grade and he is 6'6, 225 lbs, and runs a 4.4. THATS ABSOLUTELY INSANE! Fun Fact: He's bigger than EVERY WR in the NFL.

I think he will absolutely dominate the college game, and hopefully come out in 2 years like you said, we'd snatch him up quickly! And like you mentioned again brother, he'd probably love to stay in his hometown!
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

I think he will absolutely dominate the college game, and hopefully come out in 2 years like you said, we'd snatch him up quickly!
    I could of course be wrong, but I thought players were not eligible for the NFL until 3 years after finishing high school.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

The "Instant Gratification" statement doesn't apply here.
    Of course it does.

The two viewpoints of this discussion is the actual Redskins offer of 2 future firsts vs. the assumed Browns offer of 1 current first.

And some folks would prefer that extra pick (the #22, in this case) right now. I get it. I just don't agree that it's the right way to go.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I think having 1st's spread out over two years like we have is a lot better. That said, DGB is a MONSTER. He's in the 12th grade and he is 6'6, 225 lbs, and runs a 4.4. THATS ABSOLUTELY INSANE! Fun Fact: He's bigger than EVERY WR in the NFL.

I think he will absolutely dominate the college game, and hopefully come out in 2 years like you said, we'd snatch him up quickly! And like you mentioned again brother, he'd probably love to stay in his hometown!
    After he gets a few years older and that huge body matures he'll probably be about 260 and playing linebacker =(

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Of course it does.

The two viewpoints of this discussion is the actual Redskins offer of 2 future firsts vs. the assumed Browns offer of 1 current first.

And some folks would prefer that extra pick (the #22, in this case) right now. I get it. I just don't agree that it's the right way to go.
    If we're talking just the Brown's 1st round picks this year vs what the Redskins gave us then there is no question the right choice was made. If the Browns did indeed offer next year's 1st round pick as well then it becomes more debatable in my opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast