Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Fisher Says Washington Made Best Trade Offer

joka is offline Registered User

Re: Fisher Says Washington Made Best Trade Offer

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    we also were really interested in the 39th pick (Washington’s second-round pick)."
    Think Fisher is telling us something here. Perhaps they feel the drop from 22 to 39 isn't that great so we kinda get 4 1st's (if that makes sense)!
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

bupalos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Of course it does.<br>
    <br>
    The two viewpoints of this discussion is the actual Redskins offer of 2 future firsts vs. the assumed Browns offer of 1 current first. <br>
    As am emissary from Cleveland, first, let me congratulate you on the haul. Second, I can tell you the assumptions around these parts as well as most of the reporting suggests the "1st final offers" of the teams was the two Browns #1's this year and 1 next year on the one hand, and the package you got on the other. When STL rated Washington's offer as higher, the Browns disagreed but tried to come back and give another future #2, but were not allowed to up the bidding. That seems to be the consensus and what Holmgren is saying.

It's pretty surprising to see Fisher claiming #1's in future years are worth more than current to him. It is very well established that any time you want you can trade the now for the later and get a premium. That '12 #22 could easily be a '13 #16 or an extra 2nd. There is a time value to picks just like there is to money.

Personally I think what happened is the pick was pre-sold to the Skins, because you guys wanted to move with absolute maximum speed to take advantage of a market peak. The strange "one bid" auction was simply the agreed-upon means by which that price was set. I think this answers the question of where the strange "Cleveland doesn't want to offer that much" noise came from (Wash), as well as the remarkable honor shown in sticking to the one-bid thing versus taking a better offer because it didn't conform to self-created, self-enforced rules. Frankly I think the Rams were pretty smart to do what they did overall, glad we retained our picks, and will be rooting hard for your extra picks to be top 10!

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I think having 1st's spread out over two years like we have is a lot better. That said, DGB is a MONSTER. He's in the 12th grade and he is 6'6, 225 lbs, and runs a 4.4. THATS ABSOLUTELY INSANE! Fun Fact: He's bigger than EVERY WR in the NFL.

I think he will absolutely dominate the college game, and hopefully come out in 2 years like you said, we'd snatch him up quickly! And like you mentioned again brother, he'd probably love to stay in his hometown!
    We can dream, right Sosa?
    sosa39rams likes this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

I think something else that everyone missing here is that we will have more CAP $ in 13 and 14, and that may have been another deciding factor in whether we wanted most of the picks this year or in later years.

gap
    MauiRam likes this.

ljcrayton is offline Registered User

I have absolutely no sources to back up my opinion on this.

I honestly believe the reason we are taking the Washington bid is because Fisher knows we are going to need high draft picks in the future.

Sure, taking a bunch in one year can be awesome but, think about it closer. we have 6 first round picks in the next 3 years. Do you know what happens to males in 3 years? They get bigger, taller, and stonger and more importantly for the Rams, what happens around 2014 that you would REALLY need draft picks for?

Your star running back hits the end of his career.

Guys, Steven Jackson time is running out and by having 2 picks next year, we are secure if SJ retires, and if he decides to stick around for another season, we would probably part ways and be able to pick up another RB in the draft.

Just my opinion.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Of course it does.

The two viewpoints of this discussion is the actual Redskins offer of 2 future firsts vs. the assumed Browns offer of 1 current first.

And some folks would prefer that extra pick (the #22, in this case) right now. I get it. I just don't agree that it's the right way to go.
    And disagreeing is fine. I have no issue with those who favor the Washington deal because it is not a bad deal. But I DO disagree with the "instant gratification" characterization because it implies the negative: that those who favor the assumed Cleveland deal are impatient to the point of making a bad deal to win this season and sacrifice the future, and nothing could be further from the truth. The assumed Cleveland deal would have done no such thing, AND would have still given us a future #1 PLUS left us in a position to land Blackmon- my player of choice in round one.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

I think if you stop looking at these picks as players and view them as currency you'll understand why we took Washington's offer. This is all about controlling a draft and being able to move about to grab the players you think are game changers. You can find solid players at almost any level of the draft but when that elite player comes along that you just have to get you're gonna have to be able to pay the price. Now we can.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I guess it's all about how you look at building for the long haul. The Rams felt the Washington deal was the best way to go and I agree. Being able to keep your options open with multiple high draft picks in multiple years, after seeing what happens with future trades and future free agency periods, substantially helps the prospects of getting it right IMO.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The fly in the ointment for me is we don't know what the Washington picks for 2013 and 2014 are going to equate to. Top ten, middle or bottom ten?? Here's to hoping the Skins fall flat on their faces.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    The fly in the ointment for me is we don't know what the Washington picks for 2013 and 2014 are going to equate to. Top ten, middle or bottom ten?? Here's to hoping the Skins fall flat on their faces.
    Well... I think with both the Redskins and the Browns we would have been safe in this department. Anything in the 20s is a playoff team and I don't think the Skins nor the Browns are going to be pushing for the playoffs any time soon. Both teams play in pretty solid divisions.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by joka View Post
    Think Fisher is telling us something here. Perhaps they feel the drop from 22 to 39 isn't that great so we kinda get 4 1st's (if that makes sense)!
    Yeah, Think of it as if we did have the 22, and traded down to the 39 for an extra first from one of the worst teams last season. I'd be happy doing that.

ramsfan37 is offline Registered User

I've got a $20 bill that says that neither of those picks are as low as #22. That theory about current picks being worth more than future picks was created by someone with a wad of money in his pocket who wanted to justify blowing it RIGHT NOW.

The 2014 Washington pick could be as low as #32. However, I highly doubt it. The Redskins regularly pick in the top 10-15. I think Fisher and Snead recognize that the Browns are getting better, are in a much better situation in regards to the salary cap, and even if they don't improve that much in the next year it wasn't going to make up for that #22 pick. There are no absolute game-changers at the end of the first round in this draft, IMO.

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

How does Top Two grab you?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123