Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 2 Post By shower beers

Thread: Fisher, Schotty, & their 1000 yarders

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Fisher, Schotty, & their 1000 yarders

This may fall under the "No shinola, Sherlock" column, but when you look through the history of offensive production under Fisher and/or Schotty, you see a very tilted bend towards the ground gainers over the air gainers. Here's what I mean:

Between Fisher and Schotty, there have been 24 seasons of offensive production. That's 16 seasons for Fisher with the Oilers/Titans, 6 seasons for Schotty in NY and 2 seasons for both together in St. Louis. In 18 of those 24 seasons (75%), they had a 1,000 yard rusher. But a receiver gained 1,000 yards only 7 times (29%).

What may be slightly telling as well: 7 different RBs gained 1,000 yards, but only 4 different receivers did so.

And one more note: only 4 times (2007 Jets, 2002-04 Titans) did their team have BOTH a 1,000 yard rusher and 1,000 yard receiver.

I'm sure there's a lot more than could be drawn out of a deeper look at this, but I do see two things in it: First, Zac Stacy has a good chance of being a consistent 1,000 yard gainer in this offense (not hard to imagine since he had 973 last year). And second, are we as fans expecting too much if we are looking for regular 1,000 yard receivers from these coaches?

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Fisher, Schotty, & their 1000 yarders

My sense of things is that, if the Rams were going to have 2,500 receiving yards as a team from its WR corps (with another 1,000-1,500 from its TEs and RBs), Fisher and Schott would prefer it be the product of 3 WRs, each with 800-850 yards, rather than two with 1,200-1,300 yards.

There is a certain logic to this, particularly when you have guys in the division (Patrick Peterson, Richard Sherman) who can shut down a single receiver.

Trevor is offline Registered User

I think its important to bring up the types of QBs fisher had in those offense. Majority of them was with Mcnair, who did run the ball quite a bit. Then Fisher got Young who is a rusher as well. Now, its a completely different system because of Bradford, so I am expecting 1000 yard receivers in the near future.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I think there are several explanations for this. One, is that Fisher indeed values the run game. Two, Eddie George was an outstanding back for Fisher and the Titans, and obviously his skill set was used to its fullest. And three, it wasn't until recently that the running game took a major back seat to what is now a passing league. Moving forward, I would be surprised if Fisher doesn't alter his thinking at least a little bit. Valuing an unproven Zac Stacy over the opportunity to draft a receiver who is widely regarded as a game changer is a mistake in my opinion, as is prioritizing the run over the pass. I just don't see any of the current guys on our roster at the receiver position being guys who are going to scare defenses or keep them honest.

And not for nothing- if you limit the talent at the WR position or think what we have "is good enough", you do Sam Bradford a disservice.
    laram0, mde8352gorams and Rammed like this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey
    And three, it wasn't until recently that the running game took a major back seat to what is now a passing league. Moving forward, I would be surprised if Fisher doesn't alter his thinking at least a little bit.
    True as that is, it has yet to affect either Schotty's or Fisher's mindset. Schotty has had four 1,000 rushers since his last 1,000 receiver. Fisher has had another 5. They continue to emphasize the ground game even in the face of the evolving league.

Can they make it work with this roster? I don't know.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

The mark of any great head coach/OC combo, is the ability to win with whatever you have on your squad. Those HC/OCs that insist on pounding a square peg into a round hole to build a team that fits their style, tend to find themselves unemployed. Its a cautionary note that Fisher/Schotty better take to heart

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Valuing an unproven Zac Stacy over the opportunity to draft a receiver who is widely regarded as a game changer is a mistake in my opinion, as is prioritizing the run over the pass.
    I'm not sure how you're drawing this conclusion. How does having Stacy on the roster stop us from taking a receiver? We need both runners and receivers on the roster. I don't think anyone has crowned Stacy as our "Eddie George" and expects him to dominate our offensive game plan.

It's also unfair to call Stacy unproven, but a yet-to-be drafted rookie as a game changer.
    HUbison and timsum1283 like this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Valuing an unproven Zac Stacy over the opportunity to draft a receiver who is widely regarded as a game changer is a mistake in my opinion, as is prioritizing the run over the pass. I just don't see any of the current guys on our roster at the receiver position being guys who are going to scare defenses or keep them honest.
    Wait, what?

An unproven... huh? You make no sense. Zac Stacy was on pace for over 1000 yards in the NFL last year despite not being the full time starter and you're saying that he's unproven, though you then say that we should keep the focus on drafting a guy who is "widely regarded"? Please, tell me how many yards he had in the NFL last year. Tell me how well he knows our playbook. Our snap counts. Zac Stacy is proven, for one year, which is more than any rookie.

I've always been a big proponent of getting Sam the kinds of players/scheme whom have made him successful before, a spread offense with good tight ends, so I get that not giving him the receivers that benefit him the most do him a disservice. However, to say that we should eschew a way that we actually won and controlled some games last year is also a disservice. We need a strong running game that can make holes in the secondary just as much as we need a passing game that opens up holes in the run game.

Regardless of it all, we need an offense that can control the clock and give our defense a rest and put points on the board. In their history, the two coaches have done that through a run game with one back. I'm fine if we have 1000 yard rushing in Stacy and have three guys with 8-900 yards No problem with that at all. I just hope we can do it.
    I believe!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Wait, what?

An unproven... huh? You make no sense. Zac Stacy was on pace for over 1000 yards in the NFL last year despite not being the full time starter and you're saying that he's unproven, though you then say that we should keep the focus on drafting a guy who is "widely regarded"? Please, tell me how many yards he had in the NFL last year. Tell me how well he knows our playbook. Our snap counts. Zac Stacy is proven, for one year, which is more than any rookie.

I've always been a big proponent of getting Sam the kinds of players/scheme whom have made him successful before, a spread offense with good tight ends, so I get that not giving him the receivers that benefit him the most do him a disservice. However, to say that we should eschew a way that we actually won and controlled some games last year is also a disservice. We need a strong running game that can make holes in the secondary just as much as we need a passing game that opens up holes in the run game.

Regardless of it all, we need an offense that can control the clock and give our defense a rest and put points on the board. In their history, the two coaches have done that through a run game with one back. I'm fine if we have 1000 yard rushing in Stacy and have three guys with 8-900 yards No problem with that at all. I just hope we can do it.

Teke- surely you don't think Zac Stacy is now Jerome Bettis because he had an unexpectedly good rookie year, now do you? You're smarter than that. Give the guy credit for his 2013 season, but don't assume everything should now flow through him, because I don't believe that in a passing league that is the way to go. We need to get this receiver situation figured out NOW. Nothing remotely shows me that we could have 3 guys with 800-900 yards receiving, which is why I have been critical of the Rams' committee approach and unwillingness to get a consensus stud at the receiver position for several years running.

If we have an opportunity to take a receiver in round one (when we have TWO PICKS) who is widely believed to be a guy who will make an immediate, major impact on the offense, then you grab him. That will in fact OPEN UP the running game for Stacy, and he'll be that much more effective.