Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    viper is offline Registered User

Fisher should backup Bartell

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    By Jeff Gordon
    ONLINE SPORTS COLUMNIST
    10/26/2005

Cornerback Travis Fisher said he was “preparing to play” Sunday, despite his nagging groin muscle strain. But he, too, stayed off to the side Wednesday. He is listed as probable and will give it a go Thursday.

“Travis is better than he was at this time last week,” Vitt said.
    I have lost all confidence in Travis Fisher. His game is to try to run with the receiver, usually from behind, and watch him catch the ball while making an ineffective swipe at it. He never looks for the ball, his eyes are always on the receiver. That's all well and good, but, you can't intercept it if you can't see it. I get so frustrated with him. I used to think he was OK...not anymore. I think he should be a backup. I'd go so far as to say get rid of him at the end of his contract and draft his replacement. I think he's a big part of the problem with our secondary. I do understand that a better pass rush would help, but, even then if the QB gets the ball away, you can usually lay odds that if thrown Fishers way his man will catch it.

Granted, Bartell has no experience and yes, one game does not a great cornerback make. But, it appears he has the instincts and perhaps a bright future as our new CB.

Bartell, Ivy & Groce have all looked good this year. They do need some discipline as far as penalties go, however. I like the energy they provide. I'd also like to see Atogwe get a chance to play more. Someone said he played last Sunday, but, I didn't see him. Carter seems to have potential as well.

If I were Vitt I'd get these young guys in there, bump the recievers at the line to disrupt their routes, do some aggressive blitzing like we did last week (see Eagle and Redskin defenses), keep Claiborne and Coakley on the field and use Fisher as a backup only. I might even move one of the new db's to saftey (I'm not convinced Furry is the answer). I think you'd see improvement in both run and pass defense.

Go Rams!!!!
    Last edited by viper; -10-26-2005 at 07:18 PM.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Fisher should backup Bartell

agree Fisher has struggled this season

RamsFan16 Guest

I agree with everything Viper. This maybe our best Draft class but Bartell only had one holding penalty and Groce had what 5 holding penalties.

RamJackson39 Guest

I'd also like to see Atogwe get a chance to play more. Someone said he played last Sunday, but, I didn't see him.
    Thats what I want from my defensive backs

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    Thats what I want from my defensive backs
    What do you mean?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Fisher is another Ram player full of inconsistency this year. Was it just me or did the play of the secondary make a noticeable improvement when Fisher went out?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    What do you mean?
    I believe he is saying that hearing a DB's name mentioned too much means the receiver he's covering is making too many plays or the DB is getting hit with too many flags.

Either way, it ain't good.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Fisher is another Ram player full of inconsistency this year. Was it just me or did the play of the secondary make a noticeable improvement when Fisher went out?
    I believe you would be correct there mike. That's what I'm getting at.

Has Fisher been here so long that nobody thinks to consider him a liability? I think that is exactly what he has become. Pay extra attention to his "coverage" this week. Ever since I started making it a point to watch his technique, or lack thereof, it has become painfully obvious that he's doing a poor job. That is if pass defense is his job. He's more along the lines of a..."I'll tackle you after you make the catch" kind of guy.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Was it just me or did the play of the secondary make a noticeable improvement when Fisher went out?
    Helll there would have been improvement if he just fell in front of his man within the 5 yard buffer and tripped him.

I still think puny DBs are still liabilities, but Ivy at 5'8 makes up for his lack of height with some ferocity that was evident back in pre-season.

Him coming in has shown me glimpses of hard-nosed football improvement. And well ... Bartell show some ball-hawking ability that has been sorely absent.

And Fisher, Butler? Well they were replacements too. But successful ones for McClingon and CaptainBly? No. Cheaper, yes. But you still get what you pay for ...

RamJackson39 Guest

I believe he is saying that hearing a DB's name mentioned too much means the receiver he's covering is making too many plays or the DB is getting hit with too many flags.

Either way, it ain't good.
    You are correct sir

RamsFan16 Guest

Then why did you say thats what I want to see?

Quote Originally Posted by viper3
    Pay extra attention to his "coverage" this week. Ever since I started making it a point to watch his technique, or lack thereof, it has become painfully obvious that he's doing a poor job. That is if pass defense is his job. He's more along the lines of a..."I'll tackle you after you make the catch" kind of guy.
    Fisher didn't look too good did he? I think our top priority in the upcoming draft or F/A is a shutdown CB and/or safety. Look at the impact that Darren Sharper had on the Minnesota/Giants game yesterday. Three interceptions, one returned 92 yds. for a touchdown.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I have no idea why they are keeping Fisher in the game. Bartell has the ability to make some big plays and the coaching staff is not making the right choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

talkstoangels61 Guest

I think Arch and Fisher and Furrey need to be changed even though Furrey has a nose for the ball! I think that if you would put a monster hitter back there and let him loosen a few jock straps that you'd find the other teams wr's not willing to go get the ball as they are now! Atogwe and Carter are superior hitters from what we have on the field! Arch plays much better at the line of scrimage and then you could bring in Furrey in the nickel or dime! Bartell needs to be in the game!

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

There is no way that I would pull Furrey out of the game now. He wants the ball and he finds ways of taking it away from the other team.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast