Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Fisk signs with Rams

Article Created: 6/07/2006 07:08 AM

Fisk is playing No. 12
    Defensive tackle signs with St. Louis
    By GARY TRAYNHAM/Democrat Sports Editor
    Daily Democrat

Jason Fisk, who spoke Sunday night at the 34th annual Woodland Hall of Fame and Athlete of the Year banquet, agreed to terms with the St. Louis Rams on Tuesday.
    Fisk, a Davis High School and Stanford University graduate, says this, his 12th NFL season, will be his last.

He will be used at nose tackle in a four-man defensive front, the alignment where he enjoyed his best seasons with the Minnesota Vikings and the Tennessee Titans.

"It's a one-year deal; this is the last one," Fisk said Tuesday. "The family is staying in Davis. I'm not going to drag them around again. I'm 99.9 percent sure on this one. Being there without the family will be rough on the kids."

His wife Miriam is the daughter of Skip and Julie Davies of Woodland. They have three children, daughters Julia and Carmen and son Tucker.

After Minnesota and Tennessee, Jason played with the San Diego Chargers and the Cleveland Browns.

When he was released by the Browns after last season, he figured his career was over.

"I pretty much washed my hands," Fisk said. "I was retiring."

His thinking changed when several teams showed interest in him, plus he is getting an opportunity to return to the 4-3 defense after finishing in the more-demanding three-man front in San Diego and Cleveland. The Rams contacted his agent a month ago.

"It fits what I do best to get back into that system," he continued. "My body feels good. I'm not nursing any nicks and bruises. I'm ready to go. Plus, I don't want to end 6-10."

He is one of the winningest active players in the game.

In 2000, he started for Tennessee in a thrilling 23-16 loss to the Rams in the Super Bowl.

"It would be great to go out on top like that."

St. Louis will play in San Francisco on Sept. 17, in Oakland Dec. 17 and also in San Diego, Phoenix and Seattle. His last regular-season game will be in Minnesota, where he began his NFL career.

Fisk had first met Rams defensive coordinator Jim Haslett when he was coach of the New Orleans Saints.

"I've been talking to the Rams for about a month," he said. "I wanted some sort of a guarantee from them. The coaches told me they wanted me there."

He will report to minicamp starting Friday.

"Their style fits me real well. It's very similar to Minnesota's and Tennessee's. It's like going back home after being with the Browns. No more 3-4."

In Cleveland, he was used at nose tackle in a three-man line, a position he says demands a bigger player than his 6-3, 295-pound frame.

In St. Louis, he will play nose tackle along side La'Roi Glover, who starts at tackle. Jimmy Kennedy (6-4, 320), a four-year veteran from Penn State drafted in the first round, is listed as the starting nose tackle, backed up by Jeremy Calahan (6-2, 298), a two-year veteran from Rice.

"I met Glover a few years back. I know him by reputation. I'm excited to play with him."

He laughs when asked about others he knows with the Rams. "Everyone I grew up with is retired."

Of course, he knows about quarterback Marc Bulger and receivers Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce.

"Their offense is really good. Jim Haslett is a high energy guy. You have some wiggle room with that offense."

He anticipates being part of a rotation, possibly playing first and second downs. "Then they can bring in the young, fresh guys to get after the passer."

Even though he expected to retire, he has stayed in top shape. In fact, he feels fresher now after the time off than in recent seasons.

"This was a hard opportunity to pass up. Once you say no, you're done for a lifetime. I'm going back to a system that I fit in and have a chance to do good. It will be a good way to tie it up for me."

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Fisk signs with Rams

Thanks man! Hopefully he can do some good!
    RamsFan16

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Thanks man! Hopefully he can do some good!
    As Do I, I don't know if he's gonna be a HUGE impact though...would he even be starting?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6
    As Do I, I don't know if he's gonna be a HUGE impact though...would he even be starting?
    Depends, I'm not sure if he came in to start or came in to mentor Jimmy Kennedy.
    RamsFan16

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Jason Fisk = Kennedy's health insurance policy
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Sidenote: RF16, who is that gentlemen, having some kind of neck seizure, with the A's hat in your sig?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6
    Guys signed in June who weren't June 1st cuts aren't expected to make "HUGE" impacts. If these players were big impact players, they likely wouldn't have been available on June 6th or 7th. Whether or not he will be starting is something no one knows. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Sidenote: RF16, who is that gentlemen, having some kind of neck seizure, with the A's hat in your sig?
    Too tell you the truth I'm not sure, I found it and thought its cool. I can remove it you want since you can't see the whole thing.
    RamsFan16

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

I wonder if this means no chance at a 3-4 defense this year? The guarantee he mentioned seems to lead one to believe that.

Probably more like, he won't be on the field during any 3-4 sets.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

This is a solid signing, th d-line needs help and he will bring leadership & with Glover, it gives Kennedy 2 solid vets to whom he can pick their brains from. Plus these big men need to rotate to stay fresh, especially in those tight defense games.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

this is a nice pickup, he will help kennedy alot and at the same time be a good backup in case of an injury.

general counsel is offline Registered User

BigBlue is correct. Solid signing. I would like to know the money of course, but i bet its cheap. Its rotation depth and some insurance on jimmy kennedy as others have appropriately stated. Not a major impact guy at all, but maybe a solid zgnonia type performer. This is a very very nice fill in the blank type need sigining for the squad assuming the money is cheap.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

maineram is offline Registered User

Nice signing for leadership, depth, and d-line rotation as mentioned. Filling in veterans in key places is what Linehan said would be huge for this team. Mixing in veterans with the youth movement that seems to be going on with the D.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

Mercclass is offline Registered User

I don't know much about this guy what are his strengths?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast