RamWraith is offline Registered User

Fitzpatrick hoping he'll start Sunday

Vitt still won't say who is his quarterback
    BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS - Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick hopes his fame lasts longer than 15 minutes.

Or, more accurately, longer than just one week.

Fitzpatrick has been chosen as the NFC Offensive Player of the Week after coming off the bench to lead the St. Louis Rams to a 33-27 overtime win over the Houston Texans on Sunday.

"It's just something that is there," Fitzpatrick said of the notoriety that he has received this week. "The thing you have to understand is that you're only as good as your next game.

"If I come out and play poorly, nobody is going to talk about me, nobody is going to remember me anymore."

Rams interim head coach Joe Vitt still refused to declare Fitzpatrick as the team's starting quarterback against the Washington Redskins this Sunday at Edward Jones Dome, even though Jamie Martin is experiencing blurred vision after suffering an eye injury and concussion in the first quarter against the Texans.

"I know it's unbelievable," Vitt said when asked whether Fitzpatrick is the starter. "It's like the Kennedy assassination. We'll make that decision later on in the week."

It's no conspiracy theory to expect Fitzpatrick to start against the Redskins.

Fitzpatrick took all the snaps with the first-string offense in practice Wednesday. He said he took only 10-15 snaps in practice last week before the game against the Texans.

"I really don't think we know right now what is going to happen," Fitzpatrick said when asked if he has been told that he's starting. "I'm going to go into practice today and take advantage of the reps that I do get."

T railing 24-3 in the third quarter, Fitzpatrick helped St. Louis storm back against the Texans by completing 19 of 30 attempts for 310 yards and three touchdowns.

Fitzpatrick became the fifth player in NFL history to pass for more than 300 yards in his NFL debut, joining Otto Graham (1950), Ed Rubbert (1987), Mark Rypien (1988) and Peyton Manning (1998).

Rams wide receiver Isaac Bruce said he wasn't surprised by Fitzpatrick's performance after watching him in the preseason.

"You can pretty much judge a guy from what he did in training camp and the preseason," Bruce said. "That can carry over."

Fitzpatrick is the first quarterback from Harvard to throw a pass in an NFL game. The only other Harvard product with a pass attempt was Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver-punter Pat McInally (1976-85).

"It was just like he has been there for a long time," Rams wide receiver Kevin Curtis said of Fitzpatrick's poise under fire. "He didn't seem nervous. He seemed very confident. You could see that he had that look in his eye where he was looking forward to this opportunity."

Rams coach Mike Martz usually berates his young quarterbacks in practice to see how they respond to the pressure, but he never raised his voice with Fitzpatrick.

"Mike has made the statement that this is the only quarterback he has ever coached that he hasn't gotten mad it," Vitt said. "He does not make mistakes. He's got poise and presence. The game is not too big for him."

Curtis said Fitzpatrick gets a lot ribbing about being a Harvard man. Curtis said Fitzpatrick recently began trading brain teasers with his teammates

"(Free safety Mike) Furrey started him with one, and then he threw a few back our way," Curtis said.

Curtis actually scored higher on the Wunderlic test taken by players entering the NFL draft than Fitzpatrick. Curtis got a 48 out of a possible 50 questions, while Fitzpatrick got a 37.

Curtis said he'd still win any Wunderlic challenge between the two players.

"I've got that Wunderlic down," Curtis said. "It's been a while since I took it, but I like my chances in the Wunderlic. As far as everything else, I don't like my chances."

RealRam is online now Registered User

Re: Fitzpatrick hoping he'll start Sunday

Hmm, first Harvard grad to throw a pass in the NFL. :angryram:

Might as well make him the first from Harvard to:

Start a game in the NFL,
    Score a rushing TD in the NFL,
    and... (you name it) _________________________

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Hmm, first Harvard grad to throw a pass in the NFL.

Yeah, and Neil Lomax was the first one from Portland State, and Phil Simms was the first one from Moorehead. Roger Staubach might have been the first one from Navy. It happens.

psycho9985 Guest

I'm gonna be the 1st one from a retirement home.

talkstoangels61 Guest

He's not the only one that wants him to start

Mr.Blond Guest

This is great news. I'm really impressed with this kid's poise. He's already a champ in my mind. Vitt's GOTTA start him. I mean ??????????!!! 310 yards 19 of 30 3 TDS WOW hone: Amazing comeback. Don't forget, Without this game, we wouldn't even be mathmathically elgible for the wild card.
    Last edited by Mr.Blond; -12-03-2005 at 02:48 AM.

Rampage39 Guest

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2245293

hes the starter. i still don't know why vitt chooses to play stupid with everyone.