RamWraith is offline Registered User

Fitzpatrick leading Smoker

Rams | Fitzpatrick leading Smoker
    Mon, 5 Jun 2006 21:39:55 -0700

Jim Thomas, writing for the Sporting News, reports St. Louis Rams QB Ryan Fitzpatrick seems to have the edge so far, but QB Jeff Smoker still has a chance to emerge from training camp as the No. 3 quarterback. Smoker has a stronger arm, but Fitzpatrick is more accurate and is better on the move. Smoker is aided by the fact that his former position coach at Michigan State, Doug Nussmeier, is now the Rams' quarterbacks coach. However, Rams' head coach Scott Linehan liked Fitzpatrick coming out of college.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Fitzpatrick leading Smoker

i still think smoker will emerge as the #3 qb, theres just to much talent there to let him get away again, fitz is a good story but i'll take smoker everytime.

rams! is offline Registered User

Smoker hasn't impressed me much...didn't we let him go or put him on the practice squad a year ago? Fitz would be my #3.

how would we know if smoker would impress us, martz never gave him a chance.

if you give fitz and smoker the same amount of playing time in preseason with the same people around them, smoker with this offense(linehan simplified it) will win the #3 spot.he just didnt catch on with the martz complicated system,fitz picked it up, but in the nfl being smart will only take you so far, you have to be talented and that why i say smoker wins out,not because i dont like fitz.
    Last edited by Nick; -06-06-2006 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    if you give fitz and smoker the same amount of playing time in preseason with the same people around them, smoker with this offense(linehan simplified it) will win the #3 spot.he just didnt catch on with the martz complicated system,fitz picked it up, but in the nfl being smart will only take you so far, you have to be talented and that why i say smoker wins out,not because i dont like fitz.
    You've given the very reason why Fitz should win the 3 spot. I think you forgot that big game he had last year. The guy is athletic. Allthough Martz is bad at gametime mgt, which is why we didn't like him. The guy knows QBS look at Warner, Bulger. Those guys wouldn't get a snow balls chance in hell on another team. In fact Warner was cut by Greenbay. The only reason he became our QB is because Green got hurt. Also the fact Fitz was a late round draft pick works in his advantage. IE Warner, Bulger, Farve, Montana, Young, Brady. With the exception of Bulger all those players were late round draft picks and won the Big game. And Bulger had 14-2 Season, and could have one had Martz had better game mgt skills. I'm sorry but you couldn't be more wrong about Smoker. If Athletisism was all it took then, Vick would have been to a Super Bowl. It takes a balance of both Athletisism and Smarts to be a QB. Also to have the right system.

fitz played well in 1 game against the worst team in football,after that he did nothing,in fact he was yanked from a game since he was playing so poorly(4 int's) if i remember correctly.i respect your point of view, if it was my choice to make i'll take smoker and his arm.
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -06-06-2006 at 12:18 PM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

JK Rams is dead on correct. Sure, he was great for a half against the texans, he was then terrible in the weeks that followed.

More importantly, how can anyone use the line "smoker hasnt impressed me much." What has smoker done good or bad to be able to impress or not impress anyone? The coaches see them everyday in practice and can evaluate how they do mentally in film study. As fans, we have no clue at all, i dont care how smart we are or how much football we think we know, its called INSUFFICIENT DATA.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

hank_612 is offline Registered User

Jig,

I think favre was a 2nd rounder. 33 overall

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I must be kind of slow.. Right now I have no idea which guy is best. Maybe if we get to see them in preseason (each one playing with mostly the same guys) one will emerge clearly.. Right now, I am glad we have both of them.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I've been wanting to give Fitz another chance, I really think he's got potential, he's willing to learn, and he's very smart, I think he just needs some more experience

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RealRam is offline Registered User

As GC stated, there is simply very little playing info / data by which one could determine the better QB between Fitz and Smoke.

Ryan's lovable / memorable TD pass to Isaac Bruce Vs. Texans last year left a 'nice' impression but, again, as GC mentioned, his subsequent terrible performance left much to be desired. As a result, the least I can do is question his abililties.

We'll find out soon enough, nevertheless, who our No. 3 QB should be. Let the [exhibition] games begin!

My gut feeling is that Fitzpatrick will win the position. ;-)
    Last edited by RealRam; -06-06-2006 at 07:04 PM.