Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
  1. #16
    dave626's Avatar
    dave626 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mo.
    Posts
    253
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Five Players That Need To Leave In 2010

    Barron is a bum and has been since we got him. Darby couldnt beat out Samkon this year and hes been with us a couple years already, so yeah if Darby cant beat out his competition for the #2 spot consistantly then lets move on to the next young guy as a #3 OB and get a veteren RB to back up SJ.


  2. #17
    Canadian Rams Fan's Avatar
    Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    32
    Posts
    187
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Five Players That Need To Leave In 2010

    I believe strongly that this team needs to look to add before they look at subtracting. Spags and Devaney have already cleaned house alot of those players were for salary cap reasons since their hands were tied, IMO they did the most they could with what they had to work with this year. We have only seen a glimpse of what is to come. Which I believe will be something special.How do you expect to move forward if all you do is keep creating more holes in the roster.

    Getting back to the point of adding over subtracting just take the cheatriots (Patriots) as a perfect example they add players and they cut others when they have found a replacement. I.E adding Rodney Harrison and then cutting fan favorite at the time Lawyer Milloy. IMO you do not build a team just be releasing every one and then signing a bunch of players with a whole bunch of question marks all over the field you put yourself up to the neck in salary cap issues and the remainder you just try to patch. It is not the right way and is a huge reason as to why the rams are in this current situation. You always bring in talent and massage your roster. It is a salary cap driven league.

    You begin by having a core of players (Laurinaitis, Long, O.J Atogwe, James Butler, Steven Jackson, Mike Karney, Jason Brown, Donnie Jones, Josh Brown, Jason Smith, Ronald Bartell etc... etc...), implement the system and build around those players. You make sure to keep your team cap friendly and add... add.... add and then when you have found some good replacement then you cut those less then stellar players, but for the moment being you just ride it out. Pergect example is the fact that Spags wants to create competition for positions all over the field.

    I applaud the job so far done by Spags and Devanney as I trully believe they are following a recipe for success. What else would you have wanted them to do they could not aquire any more pieces, and they inherited a team that was in shambles salary cap issues they were so close to the ceiling. I am also forgetting to compliment I believe Kevin Demoff the gentlemen who they hired to help with contract stucture and with contract negotiations. Since they did not want to repeat the same problems left over by former management.

    This is the reason why I personally and I know you guys are going to hiss at me for this and throw stones , however I strongly believe that the rams should hang on to guys like:

    1- Alex Barron, yes he has been highly inconsistent and alot of us would like to have seen him run out of town. He has way too many penalties, however his false starts were down this year. Here is why I believe he should be kept unless they can find a good replacement which we all believe Smith will become. When he is at the top of his game he is a premier tackle like when he kept Jared Allen in check almost throughout the entire game. Also the rams have been decimated by injuries specifically on the Offensive line in recent years ever since 2006. Hence why the Rams are so high on Adam Goldberg guys like Goldberg are hard to come by he can play many positions on that O-line.So he should be kept for depth as well as we do not know what the Rams have in J.Smith as he has not gotten the chance to prove himself at the L.T position I believe as Spags will make Smith earn that position let him beat out Barron.

    2- Jonathan Wade, I am not very high on him. My only argument here as I believe as a corner he is becoming closer and closer to being a bust pick. He is doing a tremendous job on specialty teams. If he does not have a huge salary I say hang on to him let him learn under Spags see what you have. Spags used to be a defensive backs coach I believe in Spags. Look at how well Bradley Fletcher was playing before he was injured. You need those special team players too.

    3-Marc Bulger, he has been inconsistent. However he is still the Rams best option and until they can find a replacement keep him around. In his defense the rams do not exactly bolster lights out type of receivers such as Arizonas Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin.

    4- Danny Gorrer the guy is young let him devellop he is showing some flashes let Spags judge the tallent. Spags will wead out the talent from the busts.

    The players you will not hear any arguments from me are

    1-Randy McMichael he has had so many drops and other than this year has not been able to stay healthy and is being outperformed by Daniel Fells (replacement). Its too bad Randy was very good in Miami it is just not working out for him in St-Louis.

    2- Samkon Gado this guy is just not capable of being a backup has not shown me he can come in and spell Jackson. Rams definetly need a capable backup. Can we say Chester Taylor. Why not even a change of pace guy. Kenneth Darby did a good job last week however I also think that he is not good enough to be a backup. I am excited to see more of this Chris Ogbonaya he showed some flashes last week and who knows he could be a change of pace back.

    The point being only after the draft and F.A is over can the rams truly look at who they will let go. For now we just have to bear with it.

    Go Rams

  3. #18
    Mooselini Guest

    Re: Five Players That Need To Leave In 2010

    Only one I disagree with is Bulger. We know the tank is very low, but we need a proven Vet to season the rookie. No way I put that in the hands of Boller...

    No doubt, Barron needs to go.

  4. #19
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,859
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Five Players That Need To Leave In 2010

    2- Jonathan Wade, I am not very high on him. My only argument here as I believe as a corner he is becoming closer and closer to being a bust pick. He is doing a tremendous job on specialty teams. If he does not have a huge salary I say hang on to him let him learn under Spags see what you have. Spags used to be a defensive backs coach I believe in Spags. Look at how well Bradley Fletcher was playing before he was injured. You need those special team players too.
    i think the fact that Spags is a former secondary coach and Wade has been getting hardly any playing time shows that Wade is not viewed as a decent option in the secondary

  5. #20
    chiguy's Avatar
    chiguy is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,210
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: Five Players That Need To Leave In 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Rams Fan View Post
    1- Alex Barron, yes he has been highly inconsistent and alot of us would like to have seen him run out of town. He has way too many penalties, however his false starts were down this year. Here is why I believe he should be kept unless they can find a good replacement which we all believe Smith will become. When he is at the top of his game he is a premier tackle like when he kept Jared Allen in check almost throughout the entire game.
    Why would you let one good game trump years of poor to average performance? The game against Allen is the only time I can remember him being dominant in the pass game during his career and, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the team doesn't run the ball behind him hardly at all. Where is the value there? The Rams need performers, not potential.


    Also the rams have been decimated by injuries specifically on the Offensive line in recent years ever since 2006. Hence why the Rams are so high on Adam Goldberg guys like Goldberg are hard to come by he can play many positions on that O-line.
    So you take the money you save from letting Barron walk out of a first rounder contract and find a replacement for Goldberg in the market. You won't get a top of the line starter like a Jordan Gross, but you can get a good, versatile lineman like Goldberg.

  6. #21
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,940
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: Five Players That Need To Leave In 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Rams Fan View Post
    I believe strongly that this team needs to look to add before they look at subtracting. Spags and Devaney have already cleaned house alot of those players were for salary cap reasons since their hands were tied, IMO they did the most they could with what they had to work with this year. We have only seen a glimpse of what is to come. Which I believe will be something special.How do you expect to move forward if all you do is keep creating more holes in the roster.
    Take the money we're paying Barron (and Bulger too for that matter unless he'll agree to restructure and accept a reduced salary) then apply it to the acquisition of a solid FA OT or vet signal caller. I just can't see that keeping Barron will improve the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Rams Fan View Post
    You begin by having a core of players (Laurinaitis, Long, O.J Atogwe, James Butler, Steven Jackson, Mike Karney, Jason Brown, Donnie Jones, Josh Brown, Jason Smith, Ronald Bartell etc... etc...), implement the system and build around those players.
    Agreed! Although I wonder about how management views Atogwe .. We'll see soon enough I guess ..

    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Rams Fan View Post
    You make sure to keep your team cap friendly and add... add.... add and then when you have found some good replacement then you cut those less then stellar players, but for the moment being you just ride it out. Perfect example is the fact that Spags wants to create competition for positions all over the field.
    You can "add, add, add" in FA, via the draft and in training camp, but that's about it. Even in camp when a team adds a player, there is a usually a subsequent subtraction.

    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Rams Fan View Post
    I applaud the job so far done by Spags and Devanney as I trully believe they are following a recipe for success. What else would you have wanted them to do they could not aquire any more pieces, and they inherited a team that was in shambles salary cap issues they were so close to the ceiling. I am also forgetting to compliment I believe Kevin Demoff the gentlemen who they hired to help with contract stucture and with contract negotiations. Since they did not want to repeat the same problems left over by former management.
    Agreed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Rams Fan View Post
    This is the reason why I personally and I know you guys are going to hiss at me for this and throw stones , however I strongly believe that the rams should hang on to guys like:

    1- Alex Barron, yes he has been highly inconsistent and alot of us would like to have seen him run out of town. He has way too many penalties, however his false starts were down this year. Here is why I believe he should be kept unless they can find a good replacement which we all believe Smith will become. When he is at the top of his game he is a premier tackle like when he kept Jared Allen in check almost throughout the entire game. Also the rams have been decimated by injuries specifically on the Offensive line in recent years ever since 2006. Hence why the Rams are so high on Adam Goldberg guys like Goldberg are hard to come by he can play many positions on that O-line.So he should be kept for depth as well as we do not know what the Rams have in J.Smith as he has not gotten the chance to prove himself at the L.T position I believe as Spags will make Smith earn that position let him beat out Barron.
    Spags and Billy will be focused on improving the team. I doubt they regard the retainage of Barron as improving the team. Sometimes addition through subtraction carries the day.

    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Rams Fan View Post
    2- Jonathan Wade, I am not very high on him. My only argument here as I believe as a corner he is becoming closer and closer to being a bust pick. He is doing a tremendous job on specialty teams. If he does not have a huge salary I say hang on to him let him learn under Spags see what you have. Spags used to be a defensive backs coach I believe in Spags. Look at how well Bradley Fletcher was playing before he was injured. You need those special team players too.
    Why not draft or sign a guy who can both play special teams and contribute as a cb? Think: Improve the team.

    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Rams Fan View Post
    3-Marc Bulger, he has been inconsistent. However he is still the Rams best option and until they can find a replacement keep him around. In his defense the rams do not exactly bolster lights out type of receivers such as Arizonas Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin.
    If Marc will agree to a lower paycheck, maybe he stays .. Just because he's our "best current Ram Qb option" doesn't mean we should abandon the effort to improve our team. Free agency may provide options management feels exceed what Marc brings to the table ..

    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Rams Fan View Post
    4- Danny Gorrer the guy is young let him devellop he is showing some flashes let Spags judge the tallent. Spags will wead out the talent from the busts.
    Agreed .. Let him compete in camp.


    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Rams Fan View Post
    The players you will not hear any arguments from me are:
    1-Randy McMichael he has had so many drops and other than this year has not been able to stay healthy and is being outperformed by Daniel Fells (replacement). Its too bad Randy was very good in Miami it is just not working out for him in St-Louis.

    2- Samkon Gado this guy is just not capable of being a backup has not shown me he can come in and spell Jackson. Rams definetly need a capable backup. Can we say Chester Taylor. Why not even a change of pace guy. Kenneth Darby did a good job last week however I also think that he is not good enough to be a backup. I am excited to see more of this Chris Ogbonaya he showed some flashes last week and who knows he could be a change of pace back.
    Agreed on Gado.

    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Rams Fan View Post
    The point being only after the draft and F.A is over can the rams truly look at who they will let go. For now we just have to bear with it.
    By releasing or trading players currently under contract that management would like to replace, more money is available to sign better players. Why retain unwanted players? Management has seen what they were or weren't cabable of, so it's time to sign guys they feel will be an upgrade.
    Last edited by MauiRam; -12-31-2009 at 02:58 PM.

  7. #22
    widder Guest

    Re: Five Players That Need To Leave In 2010

    Only 5 players?

  8. #23
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,954
    Rep Power
    170

    Re: Five Players That Need To Leave In 2010

    These issues are not as simple as "has he earned the right to return." You have to look at contract status, age and other factors.

    For example, Marc Bulger probably will go because of his contract. If the Rams could bring him back on a short-term, bargain price, deal, then I'd have no problem keeping him as a short-term option/#2 QB. However, in all likelihood, Bulger will refuse to take a pay cut (why should he accept take one at this point?), and will be released.

    Contrast that situation to Jonathan Wade. He does not carry a high cap figure, so there's no reason to simply release him. While there may be little reason to hope at this point, there's no reason not to bring him to camp and let him try to earn a spot.

    Alex Barron presents a third situation. He is a free agent and, for all his faults, will probably be overpaid on the open market. The Rams should not get in a bidding war for him, but could try to get him at a bargain price if the rest of the league takes a pass on him (unlikely).

    Finally, some have mentioned Adam Carriker. His situation depends on his health. If he comes to camp healthy and in shape, why not let him compete for a spot?

  9. #24
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,424
    Rep Power
    72

    Re: Five Players That Need To Leave In 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Five Players that need to leave in 2010
    by ram_rod on Dec 29, 2009 4:34 PM CST in 2009


    So if this perennial injury bug has any positive, it's that we've been able to see what just about everyone on the whole team can do. Sometimes, you get pleasant surprises, like Danny Amendola or Craig Dahl. Sometimes, you see things you didn't want to see. So who should we expect to be shown the door this offseason? Here are five players that need to be sent packing if the Rams want to turn things around. Of course, having your head where the sun don't shine may have it's advantages...

    Firstly, the player that needs to go the most is Alex Barron. Throughout his entire career, he has shown everything that the Rams do not stand for. A general malaise and a disregard to understand that false starts aren't actually a good thing has made him a favorite scapegoat for this team. Jason Smith should have, could have and would have taken his spot at LT if he wasn't suffering the ill effects of a nasty concussion. Hopefully he will get better soon, as their will be a vacancy at that position after the season ends.

    Final Straw (If for some demented reason you still think he should be on the team): Drawing a penalty on the first play of the game on Sunday vs. the Cardinals.

    Next, you have the one and only Randy McMichael. Stone hands hasn't been much of a threat, and since Daniel Fells has shown enough (he is now on the IR), he will most likely be shown the door. With the receivers as inexperienced as they are, he was the only real veteran threat and could have really helped out this team (and anyone of the three QB's who've played) by stepping up and playing well. Instead, he got shown up by a undrafted two year pro. Nice Randy.

    Final Straw (If for some demented reason you still think he should be on the team): Anyone of his drops this year.

    Thirdly you have Jonathan Wade. Yet another bust of the Rams, he has done virtually nothing to help this team. Through 46 games, he has 63 tackles and a pair of INT's. It's one thing if you need more time to develop, it's a completely other thing when Quincy Butler, the workout warrior of the team, starts ahead of you. How many chances do you need? He started the season, was replaced by Fletcher, who subsequently was injured, and then couldn't even hold the job down against some low level free agent picks.

    Final Straw (If for some demented reason you still think he should be on the team): It might be the fact that he hasn't done anything, or the fact that the coaching staff hates him.

    Fourth is the one and only Samkon Gado. This guy's been somewhat of a mystery, as he had a good preseason by all measures (he is a backup, after all), had a relatively good camp and was thought to have been a good enough back to assist Steven Jackson. For whatever reason, he just hasn't been able to get it done. When your averaging 1.9 yards per carry, something is wrong. The offensive line, while inconsistent, just isn't that bad. This is definitely a priority for the Rams, because without Steven Jackson, they have nothing going on offense. Hopefully Spags will let Ogbonnaya play a bit more next week.

    Final Straw (If for some demented reason you still think he should be on the team): The fact that he can't ever convert 3rd and 1.

    The Last spot goes to the one and only Marc Bulger. Love him or hate him, he simply doesn't have the gas in the tank to continue to play. He's been injured and sacked so many times he looks like a cat on crack in the pocket. For his current salary, he is nowhere near the player we need him to be and quite possibly will never be. Unfortunately, it appears that time has caught up with him. His one saving grace is that the only other quarterbacks on the team, Kyle Boller and Keith Null (and that Mike Reilly guy) have virtually no experience. I'm excluding Boller here because well, he is Kyle Boller.

    Final Straw (If for some demented reason you still think he should be on the team): Too many injuries, level of play has dropped, and he isn't a 9 million dollar QB anymore.

    I don't think most of us would miss any of these underperformers but I'm not sure that getting rid of them ASAP will, in fact, happen or even be in the team's best interest financially or to most quickly rebuild the roster.

    For a start, if there is no new/extended CBA, FA pickins' will be extremely slim this spring. I'm sure most of us have read that AP story about the 212 players who will be denied UFA status if there's no new CBA; the 4 season criterion jumps to 6. I think that includes Barron, Darby,Fells, Adeyanju. Only the greybeards like Hall, Little, Boller, and Randy M. will be totally free to leave.We might squeeze another year out of the DEs but the rest...meh...

    So... Barron can & will in the chaos sans CBA,imo, be retained for relative peanuts. I think a 2nd level RFA one year tender of about $1.5 mill, necessitating a first round pick in trade to lure him away, would be the way to go.

    That's a win/win either way for The Rams,imo.If he goes, we have another top pick to find his replacement & the steady but uninspiring (as a 16 game starter,anyway) Goldberg for the transition or the possible development of Trautwein.

    And, although I agree Barron continues to be a disappointment ,even with a CBA, I think The Rams would have to consider using a tag & offering him a bigger one year deal. Even mediocre OTs seldom hit the FA market & he hasn't been awful. In fact,his run blocking has been good & his sacks allowed total @ 5.5 ( Goldberg has allowed 4.75 & the offense as a unit still sucks overall in pass pro;36 total sacks ranks 11th worst in sacks allowed/ 82 ranks 12th in QB hits) are as low as as they've ever been & that's at LT vs the opponents best pass rushers...unless he gets creamed for two or more sacks vs The Whiners this Sun, of course...lol...sigh....

    Lots of factors involved in stats, good or bad, but to deny Barron's part in the improved run game is unfair,imo. There's a great new stat on nfl-dot-com for OL runblocking. The numbers below represent: 1st downs/negative runs/runs of 10+yds/Power %(runs of 2 or fewer yds that got a 1st/TD on 3rd or 4th down) for the OL divided into left, middle and right.

    LEFT:... 23/7/19/63

    MIDDLE:26/7/15/55

    RIGHT:...28/23/17/57

    that 23 neg runs on the right kinda jumps out at you, doesn't it?

    Thus concludes my demented reasoning for Barron's retention...lol.. Canadian Ram Fan's point about not letting guys go unless you are pretty sure you can replace them with a better option is especially valid here,imo.

    I agree with Mike on the Randy Mc. and Wade choices. Especially since we may have to throw a bit of money at Fells to retain him. Judging by his collapse into season-long doghousedom, I doubt DeSpags will worry about Wade nor Adeyanju who didn't see any playing time until DLers started dropping faster than nerds in a biker bar. The VA situation surprises/disappoints me in the same way as the back-up RBs; he showed flashes last week & last season but...in DeSpags we trust......right?

    No idea about any of the back-up RBs. This has been a source of puzzlement & frustration for me all year & got only worse after the solid outings by Darby & Ogbonnaya last week. These guys,imo, were never given a chance to contribute/prove themselves in a game until then, never mind over the season. Understandable in the rookie's case but why we saw so little of Darby is a mystery. Ditto for Gado to a lesser extent. Maybe it had to do with blitz pick-up but it's not as if the otherwise stellar SJ set that bar so high,is it? I hope Croom knows what he's doing & isn't just riding SJ's coattails.

    And then there's Bulger. I think the CBA situation will influence that as well. Younger & possibly cheaper options like T. Jackson & Campbell will cost picks to get if there's no CBA. The draft class at QB is dubious without Locker & Bradford's shoulder issues,imo. And we so badly need DL & OLB help that I'd be loathe to spend a top pick at QB anyway.

    Bottom line, barring a trade offer, I think Marc will be a Ram until at least June 1, after which, I believe, we can divide the cap hit over 2 yrs if he's cut & if there is a cap.

    And even with a new/extended CBA, there's no clear argument that the pass O would improve with a FA option or Null/Reilly/Boller under center. I'd guess a regression,if anything, at least in the short term. Ditto for a rookie QB from any round.

    Guess it depends on how patient you want to be or how far away you think The Rams are. I think we could compete in the NFCW next season with better health and additions other than QB. Just IMO, of course.

    Yes, we need to look for the future at QB but,given the circumstances, I don't think the most advantageous answer over Bulger, long or short term, will be found in the 2010 off season.

    My own "need to go' list of significant players would include:

    Carriker-enough is enough with this guy's glass shoulders.

    Josh Brown-do we really need to pay a kicker almost $3 mill in salary & bonus for 2010 at his mediocre performance level?

    I also wouldn't weep over the loss of any of the LBs except Lau. STers or back-ups, one & all.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -12-31-2009 at 05:16 PM.

  10. #25
    Canadian Rams Fan's Avatar
    Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    32
    Posts
    187
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Five Players That Need To Leave In 2010

    Thank you all for the replies. I am happy to see that some of you agree with me and disagree with me. That is what makes this site so special the fact that everyone has a different point of you and that we as a clan can come up with what we believe is a solution.

    Another reason why I really like this forum is the fact that almost everyone backs up their comments with facts not just opinions making us all that much more educated. I know for one that this site has helped with me further my knowledge of the game. Also that my first reply was not intended to diss r8rh8rmike as I have the utmost respect for you as well as many others. The moderators of this site as well as some others knowledge on this site is unbelievable.

    If I compare the members of this site compare to some of the guys I meet at the bars on Sunday night football when the discussions start. You guys would be able to talk circles around them.

    As for replying to some or all of your feedback some of it I believe was already answered for me. I will do me best to reply to all of them.

    Go Rams

  11. #26
    Canadian Rams Fan's Avatar
    Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    32
    Posts
    187
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Five Players That Need To Leave In 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    i think the fact that Spags is a former secondary coach and Wade has been getting hardly any playing time shows that Wade is not viewed as a decent option in the secondary
    I believe that for this reply Avenger Ram said it best with this quote.

    Contrast that situation to Jonathan Wade. He does not carry a high cap figure, so there's no reason to simply release him. While there may be little reason to hope at this point, there's no reason not to bring him to camp and not let him try to earn a spot.

    As he says his cap number is very low why not retain him and let him try and earn a spot. This is bassed on my argument that we should try to add instead of creating more holes that need to be filled.

  12. #27
    Canadian Rams Fan's Avatar
    Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    32
    Posts
    187
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Five Players That Need To Leave In 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Why would you let one good game trump years of poor to average performance? The game against Allen is the only time I can remember him being dominant in the pass game during his career and, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the team doesn't run the ball behind him hardly at all. Where is the value there? The Rams need performers, not potential.




    So you take the money you save from letting Barron walk out of a first rounder contract and find a replacement for Goldberg in the market. You won't get a top of the line starter like a Jordan Gross, but you can get a good, versatile lineman like Goldberg.
    Chiguy I am not sure what you mean with the following statement:

    So you take the money you save from letting Barron walk out of a first rounder contract and find a replacement for Goldberg in the market. You won't get a top of the line starter like a Jordan Gross, but you can get a good, versatile lineman like Goldberg.

    I can only assume that what you meant is replace a guy like Barron with a guy like Goldberg. I am sorry to say this, but Goldberg is terrible with speed rushers you often see him get beat on the outside with speed rushers or they turn him outside in. They will start by running to the outside and then follow it up with cutting on the inside.

    I think that Goldberg brings tremendous value because of his cap number. He is a leader in the locker room and can play any position on the line. However Barron is still the better player and thank you for finding a hole in my argument by stating that why should they retain him for top dollars when they can find greater value somewhere else.

    Well I disagree, let me explain to you why. Guys like Goldberg are very special for his versatility and are hard to find, however Goldberg is a backup for a reason. I.M.O teams do not usually let their franchise left tackles walk and I do not think that Smith is ready to take over the left side just yet. So if the price is right. I say you retain him (Barron), but in no way should they get into a bidding war for him.

    I think that Alex Barron has improved dramatically under Spags and the offensive line coaches. His penalties are way down and you can see with his holds he really does not like getting beat. I think that he has issues with MOTIVATION which I am not too worried about as I believe Spags will find way. He is inconsistent, but when he is on he is pretty good. The stats alone back it up.

    Those are provided by the stats provided by Azul Ero. Incredible job Azul rep coming your way. If you look at how he played vs. the following teams he did an admirable job. How can you not remember. Here they are by teams.

    - ***** week 3
    - Vikings week 4
    - Jags week 5
    - Colts week 6
    - Lions week 8
    - Texans week 15
    - Saints week 10

    These are just to name a few he played well overall this season the annoying thing is his inconsistency and the penalties. I am unsure about some of those but I know he did an admirable job especially vs. Vikings, Colts and Texans.

    Go Rams

  13. #28
    Canadian Rams Fan's Avatar
    Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    32
    Posts
    187
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Five Players That Need To Leave In 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Take the money we're paying Barron (and Bulger too for that matter unless he'll agree to restructure and accept a reduced salary) then apply it to the acquisition of a solid FA OT or vet signal caller. I just can't see that keeping Barron will improve the team.


    Agreed! Although I wonder about how management views Atogwe .. We'll see soon enough I guess ..



    You can "add, add, add" in FA, via the draft and in training camp, but that's about it. Even in camp when a team adds a player, there is a usually a subsequent subtraction.



    Agreed!



    Spags and Billy will be focused on improving the team. I doubt they regard the retainage of Barron as improving the team. Sometimes addition through subtraction carries the day.



    Why not draft or sign a guy who can both play special teams and contribute as a cb? Think: Improve the team.



    If Marc will agree to a lower paycheck, maybe he stays .. Just because he's our "best current Ram Qb option" doesn't mean we should abandon the effort to improve our team. Free agency may provide options management feels exceed what Marc brings to the table ..


    Agreed .. Let him compete in camp.



    Agreed on Gado.


    By releasing or trading players currently under contract that management would like to replace, more money is available to sign better players. Why retain unwanted players? Management has seen what they were or weren't cabable of, so it's time to sign guys they feel will be an upgrade.
    MauiRam how on earth did you multi quote all of this. That is unbelievable. I think I have already answere my views on alot of this. To tell you i was mostly venting on the fact that so many members just state ah!!!! this guy sucks and cut this guy and blah blah blah without backing it up with facts.

    Go Rams

  14. #29
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,947
    Rep Power
    130

    Re: Five Players That Need To Leave In 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I agree with Mike on the Randy Mc. and Wade choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Rams Fan View Post
    Also that my first reply was not intended to diss r8rh8rmike as I have the utmost respect for you as well as many others.
    I'd once again like to take credit for the article, but the guy who wrote it, "ram_rod", might not appreciate it.

    I did think the piece might create some good discussion, which it certainly has done. The knowledge, intelligence and insight from the members on this site never ceases to amaze me.

  15. #30
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: Five Players That Need To Leave In 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    Yes you right but IMO he will not take a pay cut if ask and that will still force the rams hand to release him.
    Why does Bulger need to take a pay cut and why do the Rams need to release him if he won't? We're not exactly in salary cap hell anymore.

    I disagree that Bulger needs to go over salary, and I doubt that the team could scare up a decent veteran at a price that made the "savings" worthwhile. And we NEED a veteran QB to start the year....unless you think going all youth at a major skill position is still a good idea after watching our receivers this season.

    -----------------------------------

    I like Turfshowtimes' reporting, I dislike their analysis.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Three types of players...
    By chiguy in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -11-17-2008, 08:14 AM
  2. Postgame With Gordo
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -09-30-2007, 07:16 PM
  3. Fellow fan believes we have some real problems
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: -02-16-2006, 08:20 PM
  4. Entire news conference in wrting
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -01-21-2006, 11:00 AM
  5. Salary Cap Request
    By HUbison in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: -12-31-2004, 02:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •