r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Five Quick Hits On The Game

1) It's scary (in a good way) how fast Sam Bradford is progressing. The game has obviously slowed down for him and it showed today. There is little doubt that he is destined for greatness.

2) It's scary (in a bad way) how slow Mardy Gilyard is progressing. He doesn't seem mentally tough and the fact that he can't even make it onto the field, let alone contribute in any way, is a concern to me. I'm pulling for him to turn things around and gain the confidence he needs to succeed.

3) Danario Alexander is the big play guy the offense has lacked. He averaged a whopping 23.8 yards per catch and was the catalyst that jump-started a listless attack. Not only a great talent, but a young man with heart and a never say die attitude. I hope the knee holds up because he is a difference maker.

4) Just when you think Chris Long is in a slump, he rises to the occasion and takes complete control of the game at the most critical time.

5) Steven Jackson does not look right to me. He didn't get a lot of help today, but he looks stiff and a step slower with no explosion. The desire is there, but I'm not sure about the body. Hope I'm wrong.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Five Quick Hits On The Game

Number 2 concerns me, especially when you compare it to number 3. I'm sure DX isn't being asked to learn the same playbook as Gilyard, but seems to be coming in right away and contributing. Clayton seemed to be doing a bit of the same thing before he went down.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Mardy surprises me. He seemed like a very mentally tough and responsible guy. I mean he lived in his car for a year so he could attend school and pursue his dream and he got through a lot of tough times to get where he is today. I thought he could be just like an Az Hakim or Percy Harvin and would not have expected this out of him. Amendola is doing the job that Mardy would be doing as well as anyone in the league right now though so it's not that concerning for me.

DaRam13 Guest

Chris Long is a work horse on every play. The guy gets better every year and every play. Get used to seeing 72 pancake QBs.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    Mardy surprises me. He seemed like a very mentally tough and responsible guy. I mean he lived in his car for a year so he could attend school and pursue his dream and he got through a lot of tough times to get where he is today. I thought he could be just like an Az Hakim or Percy Harvin and would not have expected this out of him. Amendola is doing the job that Mardy would be doing as well as anyone in the league right now though so it's not that concerning for me.
    First of all, I like Gilyard and think he's a good kid with talent, but he hasn't translated that talent to the field when he's had the opportunity. Besides the playbook issue, he hasn't gained the confidence of Bradford, can't seem to run the right routes and couldn't keep his kick return position. Add to that the fact that he was apparently crying on the sideline a few weeks ago in frustration, makes me question his ability to do what it takes to be successful. I hope I'm wrong.

thickandthin Guest

I saw Mardy on the field... once...

jlszes Guest

R8RH8 - Thats a good point you make about Mardy not gaining the trust of Bradford. Bradford is an equal opportunity QB who does not throw to only one receiver. He spreads the ball around and if MG could learn the playbook and gain that trust then he will for sure have his chances. Tell me if I am wrong but didnt Bradford hit something like 8 different receivers during the game yesterday?

itsguud is offline Registered User

I am most concerned with number 5. I was thinking exactly that the last two games. SJax just doesn't look like his usual powerful self. I don't see the quick burst with a ton of power behind it like I used too. There were a number of times today where a single person held him up and stopped him still long enough for help to arrive and take him down. In the past he would have rolled right over a single defender (save for a DL who he would easily stiff arm or juke away from). I wonder if the groin injury is still nagging him?

Trevor is offline Registered User

Chris Long is far from a bust and I see him being an Elite DE in the near future.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Chris Long is far from a bust and I see him being an Elite DE in the near future.
    I can easily see Long becoming akin to Dwight Freeney if we can get him another solid pass rusher to bookend with. As Bradford continues to mature and come an elite QB(which I hope we can all see now), and we start playing with leads consistently, Long will be able to tee off on QB's.

That's how the Colts do it. They get a lead and force the other team to become one dimensional so that Freeney and Mathis can have a field day. If we get a good receiving corps for Bradford, Long will be able to do the same thing.
    I believe!