AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Five Young Players Are The Key To The Rams 2005 Season

The Rams have a number of important veterans at their core. Bulger, Bruce, Holt, Pace, Timmerman, Little, Claiborne, Coakley, Butler, Fisher and Wilkins are all players who have established themselves as key players on the Rams' roster.

The team's fortunes in 2005, however, will turn on the play of the following five young players:

Steven Jackson: When he was healthy and given the chance last year, Jackson looked plain scary. He has a rare combination of speed, moves and power. Now, he's the man. He will get his 20+ carries per game, and have the opportunity to bring a ball control element to the Rams' offense that has been lacking in recent years. The question always raised with Jackson is whether he can stay healthy. In college, Jackson was a durable workhorse. Hopefully, he can be one again.

Alex Barron: When Marc Bulger has time, and the receivers can run their patterns, the Rams' passing game is difficult to stop. Unfortunately, the RT spot has been a weak link that has put Bulger and the passing game at risk. Barron seems ideally suited for the role. He is a rare physical talent, and will have the benefit of playing on the right side next to veteran Adam Timmerman while Orlando Pace mans the left side. If Barron can play to his potential, the passing game should be dangerous.

Jimmy Kennedy: During the latter part of the regular season last year, Kennedy finally exhibitted the type of play that is expected from a first rounder. He also demonstrated admirable toughness playing through a foot injury. This year could be a breakout season for Kennedy and, if it is, the Rams' defense will benefit greatly as a unit. Like Jackson, though, he has to prove not only his skill, but his durability.

Tony Hargrove: Last year, Hargrove was a raw physical talent who brought energy and enthusiasm to the defense. This year, as the unchallenged starter at RDE, he must go to the next level. Of particular importance is his development as a pass rusher, so he can draw attention away from Leonard Little. If Hargrove fails to develop, the entire defense could suffer.

O.J. Atogwe: There is no question that the Rams need someone to step up and show some playmaking ability from the safety spot. With Adam Archuleta's health a major question mark, Atogwe may be the best candidate. He was an experienced and productive player in college, and should be ready to take on a significant role as a rookie.

general counsel Guest

Re: Five Young Players Are The Key To The Rams 2005 Season

Does travis fisher still count as a young player? I think we are a very, very different team in the secondary without him. When healthy, he is a very good cover corner, with room to continue to improve. We really struggled last year with him out and with the development of garrett, groce and bartell a question mark, i really believe his good health is critical to our success.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Fisher's still a young guy, but I look at him as a player who (when healthy) has already reached a level near his potential. The five listed are players I see as having huge upsides and who could really establish themselves as difference makers this year.

general counsel Guest

I hear you Av, but i think fisher has room in his game to step it up a notch and become very close to a stop corner. If he actually does so, i think that makes a big difference. I have no problem with the guys on your list.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I hope you're right.