RamWraith is offline Registered User

Fixing Rams is basically simple for Linehan

By Jeff Gordon
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
    09/08/2008

So . . . you’re the head coach of the St. Louis Rams.

Your team just took a 38-3 beating at Philadelphia. Your team has lost 14 of its last 17 games.

Despite a significant coaching staff turnover, the addition of a few key free agents and an influx of promising rookies, your team caved against the Eagles.

Your offense never got started. Your star receiver, Torry Holt, caught one pass for nine yards. Your quarterback, Marc Bulger, reverted to throwing off his back foot again. Your cornerstone tackle, Orlando Pace, missed time after taking a shot in the ribs.

Across the offensive line, your team took one false-start penalty after another. It was as if your team had never seen a blitz or heard a hostile crowd before.

Your defense buckled. Your top young cornerback, Tye Hill, got burned repeatedly before getting benched. Your top pass rusher, Leonard Little, exited quickly with a hamstring strain. Your veteran safety, Corey Chavous, blew coverage on a 90-yard TD pass.

So what do you do?

Keep working on the basics, Scott Linehan said. He said cheerleading is not the answer – running plays correctly is the answer.

The Rams don’t need to fire up. They need to clean up.

“I think we lacked our ability to execute,” he told reporters at his Monday briefing at Rams Park. “I think you get enthusiasm through execution. You can sit up there and cheerlead all you want on the sidelines, but if you’re not staying on the field, converting third downs and getting positive plays and making plays, you’re not going to have enthusiasm.

“The only answer to that is we have to play a heck of a lot better.

“As far as our guys being into the game and all that, they were into this game and they are into this season. They know that we didn’t pass test one of 16. All the things that were crucial to our lack of success have to be the opposite this week. We are playing the defending World Champions.

“If we don’t correct the things that went wrong on Sunday, then you are basically going to repeat the same result – which can’t happen.”

Of course, that is the trick. Linehan admits his team suffered poor execution in every facet of the game Sunday. All that must be fixed.

“We will evaluate every position,” Linehan said.

Hill’s situation is certainly up for review. Ron Bartell and Fakhir Brown played while he sat – and now Ricky Manning Jr. could get ready to play the nickel spot.

Chris Long could move to left defensive end to replace the injured Little, thus allowing James Hall to return to his natural right end spot.

The team will audition veteran receivers to replace Drew Bennett, who will miss a big chunk of the season with a broken foot. Dane Looker and rookie Keenan Burton become more important in his absence.

To get Holt relief from double teams, the Rams need to get multiple targets involved in the passing game. Randy McMichael did a nice job in Philly, but where was everybody else?

Fullback/running back Brian Leonard could get back into the field to bolster special teams. He sat out Game 1 while continuing his recovery from his shoulder injury.

As for Bulger, he just has to play better.

“His play was indicative of our game,” Linehan said. “I thought it certainly wasn’t his best game. His decisions weren’t as good as they are going to be, in my opinion. But he wasn’t forcing too many things. He was doing a pretty good managing the situation, that just wasn’t good enough to win with.

“That was our team’s performance, it wasn’t his. It was our team and mine and everybody else. I would think we’re going to play a heck of a lot better than that.”

Well, they better. Linehan said the right things Monday, but will he convince his team to do the right things Sunday?

This was just one game, but it’s a continuation of what we saw last season. Time is running on this regime. This is the Not For Long league.

If the fan support evaporates, management support may not be to far behind.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Fixing Rams is basically simple for Linehan

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Keep working on the basics, Scott Linehan said. He said cheerleading is not the answer – running plays correctly is the answer.

The Rams don’t need to fire up. They need to clean up.

“I think we lacked our ability to execute,” he told reporters at his Monday briefing at Rams Park. “I think you get enthusiasm through execution. You can sit up there and cheerlead all you want on the sidelines, but if you’re not staying on the field, converting third downs and getting positive plays and making plays, you’re not going to have enthusiasm.

“The only answer to that is we have to play a heck of a lot better.

“As far as our guys being into the game and all that, they were into this game and they are into this season. They know that we didn’t pass test one of 16. All the things that were crucial to our lack of success have to be the opposite this week. We are playing the defending World Champions.
    You hack. If you think that the Rams were at all into the game and season on Sunday then you should get your head checked. Into a wall. The Rams are the only team who could not get into the endzone in week 1, and looked like they were more prepared to watch a football game than play one, and you blame the players and their execution? Yes, they needed to frikkin execute, but they don't get motivated "by converting 3rd downs and getting positive plays". Yes, that will help, but maybe YOU need to motivate them and get them fired up BEFORE the game, so then they want to go out and make those darn plays.

You are a worthless head coach if this is any indication of how you really feel as a coach. I'm a rather patient, and positive person and generally believe the best in people. You have lost that completely in my book and I want to throw you out of St. Louis myself. If the Rams look like a pop warner team this week at the Bash, I will quite probably buy some overpriced concessions just to throw at you. You are done in my book Linehan, done. Nothing short of a full 180 this weekend and at least a serious run at the playoffs will change that. You are the worst coach ever and it's apparent now that you had no part in actually creating the previous highest scoring offense in the league. It was just Culpepper and Moss playing pitch and catch and doing as they wanted while ignoring your stupid suggestions. We might not have won any championships under Martz but at least we were competitive in games.

God I hate being this negative...

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Ah hell, I hate being negative too.

Thing is, I just can't bring myself to resist the lure of the darkside.

The SLOP bucket is gathering much more than the spin of centrifugal force.

I must resist, I must resist, I must resist.........................

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Jeff Gordon
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
    09/08/2008

1. The Rams don’t need to fire up. They need to clean up.

2. As for Bulger, he just has to play better.

“His play was indicative of our game,” Linehan said. “I thought it certainly wasn’t his best game. His decisions weren’t as good as they are going to be, in my opinion. But he wasn’t forcing too many things. He was doing a pretty good managing the situation, that just wasn’t good enough to win with.
    As for (1.) I totally disagree. We do need to get fired-up. Where's the intensity?

2. What was Bulger managing? We scored 3 points and went 0/11 on 3rd down coversions!!!

chiguy is offline Registered User

I agree the Rams lacked passion on Saturday, but can we really deny that they need better execution too? FWIW, I'll take dispassionate execution over sloppy passion. At least then you don't have to chase the WR 20 yards to watch him step into the endzone.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    You hack. If you think that the Rams were at all into the game and season on Sunday then you should get your head checked. Into a wall. The Rams are the only team who could not get into the endzone in week 1, and looked like they were more prepared to watch a football game than play one, and you blame the players and their execution? Yes, they needed to frikkin execute, but they don't get motivated "by converting 3rd downs and getting positive plays". Yes, that will help, but maybe YOU need to motivate them and get them fired up BEFORE the game, so then they want to go out and make those darn plays.

You are a worthless head coach if this is any indication of how you really feel as a coach. I'm a rather patient, and positive person and generally believe the best in people. You have lost that completely in my book and I want to throw you out of St. Louis myself. If the Rams look like a pop warner team this week at the Bash, I will quite probably buy some overpriced concessions just to throw at you. You are done in my book Linehan, done. Nothing short of a full 180 this weekend and at least a serious run at the playoffs will change that. You are the worst coach ever and it's apparent now that you had no part in actually creating the previous highest scoring offense in the league. It was just Culpepper and Moss playing pitch and catch and doing as they wanted while ignoring your stupid suggestions. We might not have won any championships under Martz but at least we were competitive in games.

God I hate being this negative...
    The forum couch is down the hall to your left. Go straight there, and tell us how you really feel.I don't need to respond any further, as you said it all for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

Angry Re: Fixing Rams is basically simple for Linehan

Actually I have a real simple solution to the O-line problem. False start during practice $500.00 fine each time. During a game $5000.00. After the second time in a game, BENCHED! If you are incapable of remembering the snap count between the huddle and lining up, you do not deserve to be on the field. None of these guys has a legitimate excuse. None of them are rookies anymore.

As far as the attitudes, many of the players are only focusing on their limited sphere. S. Jackson is only concerned about how many yards he gets. Receivers only care about how many balls are thrown their way. Bulger is the real victim in all of this. I can't keep track anymore on how many balls have been dropped, how many blocks were missed that got him creamed. How many 3rd and longs he's had to try and convert because others don't care.

It is time for Linehan to step up and bench, bench, bench, the players who can't keep their head in the game and do their job. I would rather have 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers in there getting beat, but playing their hearts out, than watch another game of 1st stringers just go the through the motions.
    Last edited by Rampingitup; -09-09-2008 at 03:04 PM.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I believe it was even mentioned on Berman's show(countdown? whatever it is) that this team meaning the St. Louis Rams, could be the worst team in the league right now.

And it's tough to disagree with them. Everything looked awful.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

'99 RAMS= swagger. '08 RAMS= stagger

ImJohnWayne is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Did Linehan just blame the offenses struggles on Marc Bulger?...... What the hell?

Ram80 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    As for (1.) I totally disagree. We do need to get fired-up. Where's the intensity?
    The team seems to not only lack intensity, but also focus, which I believe simply comes down to piss-poor coaching.

Linehan doesn't have the experience to take this team to the next level, so it's going to be a long sobering ride....

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram80 View Post
    The team seems to not only lack intensity, but also focus, which I believe simply comes down to piss-poor coaching.

Linehan doesn't have the experience to take this team to the next level, so it's going to be a long sobering ride....
    What is the next level for this team? 500 ball, if that's the case he still can't get them there. He sucks sucks sucks. Jenna Jamison would be jealous at how much he sucks. He has to go. What an explanation for his teams performance, lack of execution. The only execution that needs to happen is his!!!!!!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    What is the next level for this team? 500 ball, if that's the case he still can't get them there. He sucks sucks sucks. Jenna Jamison would be jealous at how much he sucks. He has to go. What an explanation for his teams performance, lack of execution. The only execution that needs to happen is his!!!!!!
    I have to say thats the first time I have heard Jenna Jamison's name used here,but I guess you are right,I tried to defend Linehan in the preseason and cut him some slack,but I am pissed at his ho-hum answers to everything,would Ditka be this mellow after a Bears defeat when playing like that,how about Cowher,he would have been going nuts before the game was over,I like a coach who leaves it all out there just like the players should,even an 8-8 season and he needs to go.

eldfan is offline Registered User

"Keep working on the basics, Scott Linehan said. He said cheerleading is not the answer – running plays correctly is the answer."

I agree you go back to basics when you are playing bad football. But that is not a good sign,I am convince that the players will never respond to Linehan coaching. Only 3 wins in the last 17 games. How can you have a bad tast in your mouth for a entire off season and this is how you show the world what you made of. I say change coaching now.
    :ramlogo:

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Since football is as much about ego as it talent, $$$,and etc, as MOTIVATION is instead of practise, or film watching, have them listen and watch all the commentators, sports analysis, and the football community comment on their lack of prowess...then issue PINK practise jersies and allow the media to come and watch