MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Flajole wants better pass rush from front four ..

BY JIM THOMAS | Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:23 pm

You can't blitz on every play, and defensive coordinator Ken Flajole would like to see a better pass rush from the St. Louis Rams' front four.

"It's been average," Flajole said. "It can be better. We'll continue to work on it. We're always moving pieces around."

But Flajole added: "I don't want to ever hang it on just the rush. Part of it is the coverage as well. If we don't get them covered early enough in the down, well, your rush is ineffective....Your rush has got to complement your coverage and your coverage has to complement your rush."

The Rams have four sacks in two games this season, with three of them coming from defensive linemen. Ends C.J. Ah You and James Hall and tackle Fred Robbins have one sack apiece. The other sack came from linebacker James Laurinaitis on a blitz.

This Sunday's opponent, Washington, presents a pass-rushing challenge because not only is quarterback Donovan McNabb still mobile at age 33, but head coach Mike Shanahan likes to have his QBs throw on the move with bootlegs and rollouts.

"I know Mike Shanahan's philosophy as an offensive coach is there are a lot of movement passes, and I go back to thinking about when we played them when I was at Seattle, and Denver (and Shanahan) was in the AFC West," Flajole said. "They were a big bootleg, movement type of team. So I think he's just bringing his style of offense to Washington and it just so happens that Donovan McNabb is the quarterback."

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Flajole wants better pass rush from front four ..

Release The Cudjo !!