Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UK Ramfan 83

Thread: Fletcher's Recovery Ahead Of Schedule

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Fletcher's Recovery Ahead Of Schedule

Fletcher's recovery ahead of schedule

BY JIM THOMAS
    Friday, April 20, 2012

Cornerback Bradley Fletcher has always been a quick healer, and so far that seems to be the case with his latest knee injury. Fletcher worked on a limited basis during the Rams' two-day minicamp this week and is optimistic he'll be full-go at the start of training camp in late July.

"I'm ahead of schedule right now and things are going well," Fletcher said. "I'm back out here in individual drills with the team. It feels good being with the secondary, getting back in the drill work, catching balls. My knee's feeling really good. It's holding up right now."

But there's no need to push things in mid-April, more than three months before the start of camp, and nearly five months before the Sept. 9 season opener at Detroit. So Fletcher was held out of seven-on-seven work during the minicamp practices Tuesday and Wednesday.

Just four games into the 2011 season, Fletcher suffered a freak injury during a Rams bye-week practice. Fletcher was defending wide receiver Mike Sims-Walker on a post route during a one-on-one drill. Fletcher broke up the pass, but landed awkwardly and suffered a torn ACL in his knee.

It was the second season-ending knee injury in three NFL seasons for Fletcher, a third-round draft pick in 2009. Fletcher's first knee injury, suffered seven games into his rookie year, was more serious than this one. So at least Fletcher knows what to expect going through the rehab process.

"My whole mind-set after going through it before is I know what's to come," Fletcher said. "I know how this may feel, how that may feel. And I know personally how I can handle myself with that certain feeling I may have here or there."

Fletcher hasn't gotten full medical clearance yet on the knee, but says: "I know I'll be ready for training camp."

SAFFOLD UPDATE

Offensive tackle Rodger Saffold, who's coming off a season-ending pectoral muscle injury, also is close to full medical clearance, but isn't there yet.

"He's not quite 100 percent ready," coach Jeff Fisher said. "We're being careful right now. He thinks he is (ready), but we're kind of holding him back a little bit."

Saffold suffered his injury lifting weights on the Friday before the Rams' Nov. 20 game against Seattle and missed the final seven games of the 2011 season.

TURNER THE RAM

After missing the entire 2011 New York Jets season with a broken leg suffered in the their preseason opener, offensive lineman Robert Turner is looking forward to a fresh start in St. Louis. He signed as a free agent with the Rams at the end of March, reuniting with his former Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

"There were multiple things that attracted me to the situation," Turner said. "I've heard great things about Coach Fisher. ... And then obviously with Coach Schottenheimer, I've been with him for the last five years. So there was a level of familiarity there.

"But the biggest thing when I came out to visit was the atmosphere. You know, it doesn't feel like a 2-14 ball club when you come in the building. I don't really know exactly how to explain it but there was a newness. There was a life in the building when I came in, and that excited me."

Turner said the team-bonding process is well under way; players have been getting together for lunch or dinner, and quarterback Sam Bradford showed up for one of the offensive linemen dinners.

Did Bradford pick up the tab? "Nope," Turner said.

Turner got most of his reps at center during the minicamp backing up starter Scott Wells, but also got in a little work at guard. With the Jets, Turner also played tight end in the "jumbo" package, was a wedge blocker on kickoff returns, and even played defensive line occasionally in the goal-line package.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Re: Fletcher's Recovery Ahead Of Schedule

Wow! MSW really did balls up whilst he was here didn't he.

I snapped my ACL playing receiver in the UK about 12 years ago. I thought I could come back after 6 months. What a mistake that was.

I believe it really does take a good 15 months to get back to playing full contact. I really hope BF is ready to go. His knee will never be as stable again, mine isn't, so I hope it doesn't linger in his mind when he plays because that can make you over compensate and lead to further injury.

Good luck...
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.