|
    THE COACHING STAFF
    You get what you pay for. Pay for top notch
    coaches, that's what you get. Hire from the
    bargain rack, and sometimes you get lucky and
    find a gem, but more often, you get what we have
    now... a mess. The coaching staff is there to get
    the most out of whatever talent is available. That
    is not happening. And who's going to change this?
    Certainly not the "bottom line first" front office.
    |
    |
    THE TEAM
    Talent levels in the NFL these days are fairly
    close, even between the top and the bottom teams.
    As a result, no team is ever too far away from rising
    to the level of a playoff team. The Rams have been,
    it seems close to that level for years. But who will get them
    there? Certainly not the coaching staff, which lacks the
    ability to maximize the talent we have. Certainly not
    the front office, which knows money but not talent.
    Certainly not the owner, who adds nothing to this team.

It all starts at the top for the Rams. Scott Linehan is a symptom of an overall problem that won't be corrected until the FLOW CHART OF DOOM is cut from the top. Get a new owner, hire a true football GM, bring in a new coaching staff, enhance the talent...

That, my friends, is the only formula that will bring sustained success.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-17-2008 at 07:07 PM.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Re: The Flow Chart of Doom

AV, despite of all the doom and gloom (and I am caught up in it too) you are right on with the things you say about the team. There is little difference between winners and losers in the NFL. Talent is very even throughout the league. I did a little number crunching and came up with the following:

the 12 playoff teams scored 25.3 pt/gm
    the 12 playoff teams gave up 18.7 pt/gm
    the 20 non-playoff teams scored 19.5 pt/gm
    the 20 non-playoff teams gave up 23.7 pt/gm

So, on average, the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs was a little less than a touchdown on on each side of the ball.

The Rams have a little more work to do. At 27 pt/gm allowed and only 16 pt/gm scored they need to score 10 more points per game and allow 10 less. If they can do that, they have a good chance of making the playoffs next year.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Your flow chart of doom is showing how doomed we are right now.

RealRam is offline Registered User

:O Whew! What a scenario. ...Almost an incentive to go to another team!

Just kidding. I know we'll stick with the Rams and hope, hope for better things to come for us. That's what diehard fans do (**sigh**). ...But we must get the Rams FO to start reading the Clan on a daily basis, just as they do the Wall Street Journal.

moloch41 Guest

Hey, if the offensive line coach was 100% of our problem- then we are out of the woods!!!

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    :But we must get the Rams FO to start reading the Clan on a daily basis, just as they do the Wall Street Journal.

I really wouldn't go along with that RR, someone needs to deal with our comprehensive issues a little more dispassionately then we're able to. Many of the solutions we see here are a little simplistic. A wise man on these boards once said that solutions are always simple to the critics.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post

I really wouldn't go along with that RR, someone needs to deal with our comprehensive issues a little more dispassionately then we're able to. Many of the solutions we see here are a little simplistic. A wise man on these boards once said that solutions are always simple to the critics.

This is very true.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    A wise man on these boards once said that solutions are always simple to the critics.
    Who on these boards is anything other than a critic? The team went 3-13. How can any Rams fan look at that and find nothing to critique?

Mooselini Guest

Hmmm. If this is right (and after reading it, I see many clear points) when we change staffs, would we change locations?

The world witnessed our team's season record, what team would want to host a 3-13 team? I mean the Raiders fans are die hard, but the Rams fans only go to the games based on the season before.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

So since there is a very little talent difference between the top teams and the bottom teams what you are saying is that if the Patriots organization had our team they still would have went 16-0 and possibly 19-0 Superbowl champs. I am not buying it. They would still be a crappy team and miss the playoffs instead of possibly being the best team ever. If that's the case why did Martz one year go from a 12-4 team to an 8-8 team. I agree to be the best possible organization it has to start at the top. However what I disagree with is the importance of the player talent. We by far need better talent rearranging the top new owners, managers, coaches, dont change the fact that you have been handed bad players or players with bad contracts(cap space). It takes time to build a winner but the top is no more improtant in win losses then the bottom. You can have good coaches but if you don't have good players (maybe due to injuries) you will not be successful. It all comes down to players make as big of a difference or bigger they account for a lot of the win/loss total.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Football intelligence and talent are the keys in my opinion. Then the formula for team chemistry needs to be found and applied from top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    So since there is a very little talent difference between the top teams and the bottom teams what you are saying is that if the Patriots organization had our team they still would have went 16-0 and possibly 19-0 Superbowl champs.
    Huh? When did I say that? Don't twist my words.

jquarando is offline Registered User

I wonder if you guys EVER get tired of writing this dribble. I am so freaking tired of coming to this site and reading all this crap. If there is any justice I cant wait till next year and this team goes to the playoffs under lineham. What will you guys say then? With any luck the O line will heal up and we will be back in the top 10 in offense like every year for the past 8 years. We finally have a coach that puts emphasis on the defensive improvement and has drafted top end talent and brought in a some very good FA talent. Im done with you downers and I am really sick of coming to this site and seeing that stupid post on the main page. If there is anything to get that down please do it! I dont know how you people can deal with all this negative attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by jquarando View Post
    I wonder if you guys EVER get tired of writing this dribble. I am so freaking tired of coming to this site and reading all this crap. If there is any justice I cant wait till next year and this team goes to the playoffs under lineham. What will you guys say then? With any luck the O line will heal up and we will be back in the top 10 in offense like every year for the past 8 years. We finally have a coach that puts emphasis on the defensive improvement and has drafted top end talent and brought in a some very good FA talent. Im done with you downers and I am really sick of coming to this site and seeing that stupid post on the main page. If there is anything to get that down please do it! I dont know how you people can deal with all this negative attitude.
    Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

Hey, if you want to believe its all rainbows and sunshine but-for the injuries, go right ahead. Not everyone sees it that way, though. I find it hard to imagine that any fan would disagree that this franchise would benefit from a new owner and new front office. If that happens (it might in the next 2 years), you can bet that there will be a new coaching staff and new players as well.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

Hey, if you want to believe its all rainbows and sunshine but-for the injuries, go right ahead. Not everyone sees it that way, though. I find it hard to imagine that any fan would disagree that this franchise would benefit from a new owner and new front office. If that happens (it might in the next 2 years), you can bet that there will be a new coaching staff and new players as well.
    Well, fact is, and many of these guys on the board can attest, I am probably one of the more positive posters you'll ever see. I am a true optimist. I am an avid drinker of the Royal Blue and Gold kook-aid ...

However, I am a little perturbed right now, particularly with the signing of Steve LOONEY to be our O-Line coach. This guy is a bum. Just go analyze the rushing totals and sack totals when he was at Minnesota. No way Bulger makes it through two more seasons if we have this guy in charge of the line ..

I would bet my money we sign that Hue Jackson from Atlanta as O-coordinator. I just feel it ...

Hard to be optimistic when have these clowns running the team ...

I have been supportive of Linehan to a point. I can't do that any longer, he needs to prove something to me. As does this franchise ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-17-2008, 08:14 PM