View Poll Results: I want the Rams 2012 HC to be...

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Steve Spagnuolo

10 20.83%
  • a fiery young college coach.

2 4.17%
  • an innovative offensive coordinator.

6 12.50%
  • a tough talking defensive coordinator.

0 0%
  • a former HC looking to apply what he's learned.

30 62.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Which of the of the following describes the HC you want in charge in 2012?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Which of the of the following describes the HC you want in charge in 2012?

Rather than naming names, which is a bit speculative at this point, which of the following describes the HC you want to see on the sideline next year?

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Which of the of the following describes the HC you want in charge in 2012?

Most importantly, it must be a man who inspires immediate confidence in everyone from the fans to the front office people to the players. Other necessary criteria in no particular order:

1)Has a firm grasp of in-game situations and clock management. Can make proper adjustments when necessary.
    2)Is tough-minded and possesses a "losing is unacceptable" mentality. Has little tolerance for preventable injuries and implements a conditioning program that reflects as such.
    3)Can accurately assess talent (or lack thereof) more often than not.
    4)A disciplinarian. Bad teams commit too many penalties. We're a bad team.
    5)Has pro head coaching experience. We've been down both the assistant coach and coordinator routes without success. Completely uninterested in college coaches, unknowns or guys without experience.

A tall order for sure, but then we need to get it right once and for all.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

We tried the supposedly innovative OC (Linehan). We have the former DC who finally in his most recent post game press conference is showing his temper and frustration (Spags). Both have failed miserably!!!!

I don't want a college coach coming in here although Jim Harbaugh is doing an excellent job.

I want a guy that has Headcoaching experience. A guy that comes in here and makes his demands and stands by them from the players to the front office to his coaching staff. Enough pussy footin' around. We need leadership!

richtree is offline Registered User

How about any coach that loves athletes and is a good talent evaluator....lol

If Spags is out our defense will take a step back no matter who comes to St Lou because he has this group playing above their talent level with injuries and everything.....

Just our offense looks like a college team playing in the NFL

Rambos is online now Registered User

I voted

a former HC looking to apply what he's learned

I also want the Rams to hire a President of Football Operations to oversee how the team is built. Someone with years of experience from a franchise that has succeeded in the recent past. I want us to get an Andy Reid type coach along with a Dick Vermeil to over see the operations.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

mh-i is offline Registered User

I want a tough nosed HC who has led teams to the post season if not the Super Bowl before. A tough HC who isn't afraid to bench a player who is playing poorly no matter how high a draft pick or how much money that player makes. A HC who wants to win no matter what he has to do and no matter who is left behind.

JustinHasAnAxe is offline Registered User

The short off-season combined with the ridiculous amount of injuries earns Spagnuolo one more year.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

AvengerRam:

This might be the easiest poll you've ever posted. I chose the former HC as the best route for the Rams going forward. Personally I don't really see any of the other choices to be even a consideration at this point.

I am planning on resurrecting a thread that I did on this issue back earlier in the year when it appeared to me that Spags was already in trouble.

Stay tuned....

general counsel is online now Registered User

A guy with a history of career playoff wins as a head coach. Not just "round up the usual suspects" of failed head coaches (ie mike ditka). I want Kroenke to make a big time financial commitment to lure a proven winner. Jeff Fisher is perfect. Obviously, cowher would be great if somehow you could convince him to get involved with this mess. One interesting question. The eagles may can andy reid. Would anyone be interested?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    One interesting question. The eagles may can andy reid. Would anyone be interested?
    If Reid was available and it looks like he might, he would be my top choice. He could bring in a lot of his current coaching staff. We could go back to the west cost offense, Bradford could make that adjustment. Andy would keep the core defensive players to build on, don't see him turning over the whole roster.

In short he would be a great get, he takes his team to the playoff almost every year.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Three vote for Spags? Really? Wow.......

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHasAnAxe View Post
    The short off-season combined with the ridiculous amount of injuries earns Spagnuolo one more year.
    So how does a brand new head coach, straight from the college level, with no prior rapport with that team, have a short off-season and succeed? (JHarbaugh)

It is time to come once again to the truth of this matter, rather than keep suffering through the insanity hoping 'next year' will be different. I'm not sure about how most people feel here, but I'm tired of seeing other teams succeed where we fail, especially so when every year there is a new power team that emerges and that power team is never the Rams.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Given that Andy has never won a Super Bowl and has had planty of chances to get there, NO THANKS. He was favored this year to win it and won't even be going to the post season.
    Fettmaster and Agrajag like this.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    A guy with a history of career playoff wins as a head coach. Not just "round up the usual suspects" of failed head coaches (ie mike ditka). I want Kroenke to make a big time financial commitment to lure a proven winner. Jeff Fisher is perfect. Obviously, cowher would be great if somehow you could convince him to get involved with this mess. One interesting question. The eagles may can andy reid. Would anyone be interested?

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I like Reid as a candidate. He too is a proven winner. This year the curse of expectations struck the Eagles. I'm not sure that many pro teams, when hyped liked this, have ever had real; successful years. IE the Rams of 1980 something when they tried to imitate the Bears with that video, and even the last years Miami Heat took a long time to gel before they could try to live up to expectations.

The Eagles had to force feed superstar egos and try to condense them into an abbreviated off season, which may be the culprit there.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    So how does a brand new head coach, straight from the college level, with no prior rapport with that team, have a short off-season and succeed? (JHarbaugh)

It is time to come once again to the truth of this matter, rather than keep suffering through the insanity hoping 'next year' will be different. I'm not sure about how most people feel here, but I'm tired of seeing other teams succeed where we fail, especially so when every year there is a new power team that emerges and that power team is never the Rams.
    Harbaugh inherited a team that was talented to begin with. The only reason the Whiners went 6-10 last season was because of Singletary's incompetence of coaching via implementing wrong systems. Harbaugh utilizes a college pro-style offense (similar to the WCO) and a 3-4 base defense; seeing that the Whiners have players that fit those schemes indicates a recipe for success despite his inexperienced NFL coaching background.

Now back to the topic, I still support Spags 100% given the situation he's at. I can assure you no team would even consider a playoff run or at least a .500 season with what we have on the IR, we probably set the record for most injuries for starters in a season. The Packers may have made their Super Bowl run last year but the difference was that they have depth on their roster. The Rams have established starters in most positions but we have no one in the roster who can finish the job at least close to ideal when our starters are down.

As for our offense, we'd look like an unranked college football team if not for our defense keeping our heads above the water. This offense requires a steep learning curve and you can say what you want with other teams hiring new coaches or OCs that made some success with a shortened offseason but this is a COMPLEX offense. It took Lloyd a year and a half to master this offense and Bradford's currently in a Sophomore Slump situation but despite the lack of talent he currently has around him, he has only 5 picks in his plate. Not bad for a guy dealing with so much adversity AND he's made a ~85 QB rating yesterday despite having no receivers to spread the ball around along with a constantly changing O-line. I know Sam's specialty is throwing the slot receivers and TEs (attacking the middle), those options are his bread and butter and without them, he's a hot and cold QB that needs to get a rhythm going on at best in order to keep drives alive. I know now that he's learned not to hold the ball too long, something Rodgers used to do but now Bradford's getting into that.

Now lets say hypothetically we decide to hire a new coach, I'll be willing to support him 100% BUT he has to be the right puzzle for us, he has to run a 4-3 base defense, willing to utilize McDaniels's offense for continuity purposes and to not get Sam Bradford, Alex Smith'd and so far, none of these coaches seem to have all of this at once. Jeff Fisher is the coach close to my ideal blueprint but it's questionable whether he's willing to run McDaniels's offense or not.

That's my 2 cents on our situation *gets flamesuit on*
    Agrajag likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast