throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Food for Thought: Is Dane Looker Scott Linehan's secret weapon for 2007?

I saw this connection mentioned in passing elsewhere, and didn't even know it existed. So I thought I'd dig a little bit further, and sure enough...

If you look back in Scott Linehan's résumé as a coach, you'll find a five-year stint with the Washington Huskies. In the mid/late 90s, Linehan served as the wide receivers coach (1994-95), offensive coordinator/wide receivers coach (1996-97), and offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach (1998). According to his Rams bio page, during this time the Huskies advanced to four bowl games and won the 1995 Pac-10 title.

Who else was at Washington at this time? Current Rams WR Dane Looker. He was a walk-on at Washington in 1996 after transferring from Western Washington. He was forced to red-shirt for the 1997 season after transferring, but excelled under Linehan in 1998.

From Looker's Husky bio:

Turned out to be Washington’s top receiver ... ranked third in the Pac-10 with 6.4 receptions per game ... ranked 15th nationally in that category ... honorable mention All-Pac-10 selection ... was Washington’s leading receiver with 64 catches for 662 yards ... tied a school record with 11 catches in season-opening win at Arizona State ... broke the school record with 12 grabs at USC ... that total figured as the fourth best mark in the Pac-10 ... his 11-catch effort vs. the Sun Devils was the fifth best total ... only California's Dameane Douglas had more catches in a game among all other Pac-10 players ... had five or more receptions in six games this season ... had two 100-yard receiving games (Arizona State and Utah State) ... also had 100 yards on eight catches vs. Air Force in Oahu Bowl ... scored two of his five touchdowns in season-opening win at ASU ... was one of three Husky players to record a two-touchdown game during the season ... caught 27-yard score in Apple Cup ... named the winner of the KOMO-TV Back of the Year at annual team banquet.
    Looking past Looker's college output, Rams fans should already be familiar with the job Looker did in 2003 when called upon as the #3 receiver in Mike Martz's offense. As a reminder, Looker caught 47 passes for 495 yards and 3 touchdowns - a pretty solid job overall.

It's hard to say what Scott Linehan has planned for the Rams receiver corps should both Curtis and McDonald leave. The Rams could very well sign some veteran talent to fill those shoes or could look to the draft to find a prospect to groom for the future or at least contribute in the slot. But when you consider Looker's college production under Linehan, an offensive system that doesn't ask for much from it's #3 receiver, and Looker's past NFL numbers as the #3 man in 2003, I would not rule out the notion of Dane Looker factoring into the Rams' potential plans at receiver in 2007.

ImJohnWayne is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Re: Food for Thought: Is Dane Looker Scott Linehan's secret weapon for 2007?

Would love to see him get some playing time but Bruce's durability worries me and Looker as #2 looks like a stretch.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Hmm, had not realized there was that former Linehan / Looker connection. Thanks for the heads-up, Nick. Could be a possibility.

Obviously it all depends on the course the Rams and Kevin Curtis take for next season. I am still hoping we sign KC for a few more years and a few more dollars. Not too excited for McDonald -- he might do better elsewhere.

As for secret weapon, I was playing with the thought of seeing more usage of our TEs, particularly Klop: throw him the ball! If Byrd behaves, use him too.

...And yes, by all means, keep Dane Looker in the arsenal as #3 / #4 WR! He has good hands, is experienced a plenty (even as main man in NFL Europe in '02), very reliable as a place kicker holder [sorry Cincy and Dallas] and knows the Rams offense well.
    Last edited by RealRam; -01-09-2007 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Place kicker 'holder' correction

blood85 Guest

Haven't heard from him in a long time, is he even on the team?

BigDaddyPace Guest

To old and to slow. Please come back Curtis.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by blood85 View Post
    Signed through the 2008 season.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Blood85 View Post
    B85, as an 'FYI', Dane Looker (jersey No. 89), is our place kicker holder on every single FG attempt as well as PAT that Jeff Wilkins booted during the season.

This year Looker took the snap and positioned the ball for Money a total of 68 times: 37 FG attempts and 31 PAT kicks. // Source: St. Louis Rams web site - Stats.

Also, see... http://www.stlouisrams.com/team/players/47617/

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

i would be comfortable with letting Curtis and McDonald leave, moving Looker up the depth chart and bringing in a young WR to compete for the third WR spot. Curtis is actually quite old and McDonald hasnt developed well enough. I dont think we should throw big money at Curtis when there are FAs at much more important positions to us and we have Looker still on the team.

you have to remember that Linehan prefers using two TE sets anyway, so the third WR doesnt get on the field as often as in Martz. And Looker is going to be on the gameday roster as the holder anyway.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I'm fine with him being the #3 receiver, but lets put it this way...I'd rather have Curtis in that position. Simply because of the chemistry Bulger and Curtis have had this season and also for the past seasons. But, me personally, I'd rather have Looker over McDonald...Hmmmm

EDIT
    spelling errors, was writing quickly in home room lol
    Last edited by Varg6; -01-10-2007 at 05:28 PM.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

I think Looker can have a role as a Number 3/4 receiver..Curtis probably moves on so I would like us to bring in a taller more physical receiver to go along with Bruce and Holt..:l

GSOT Guest

I say let Curtis go because we wont be able to pay for what some teams will pay for him. I.E Jacksonvile and Minn, Jack needs a little shifty guy to complement matt jones and Minn just needs a receiver period. We should then draft Jeff Samarjzia in the 2nd or 3rd round it would make his travels to chi town easier. Jeff is a first round talent but could drop cause he plays MLB baseball too.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Dane Looker will be 31 years old at the start of the 2007 season
    Rams career stats:
    83 receptions for 915 yards, 3 TD's, 17 punt returns for 163 yards, 3 fumbles,
    3 fumbles lost.

Shaun Mcdonald will be 26 years old at the start of the 2007 season.
    Rams career stats:
    106 receptions for 1215 yards, 4 TD's, 61 punt returns for 348 yards, 8 fumbles, 4 fumbles lost.

Looks like the 2 issues are age and ball security.

coy bacon Guest

I'm hoping the Rams keep Curtis. The Rams need consistency and stability, and Curtis knows the team and I believe he would be a fine starting WR if one of starters goes down with an injury.

sbramfan Guest

McDonald can defiinitely go.

Would prefer to keep Curtis and Looker, but we need a big receiver. If we had got a Vernon Davis type tight end, then we wouldn't need this at WR, but we don't have this at TE either. (Hopeful on Byrd). We already have two average sized receivers in Holt/Bruce. We just can't afford to go small at any position on this team. Need to get bigger.

sprtsmac Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Curtis is actually quite old
    Curtis is going to be 29 at the start of the season, that is actually younger than Looker. Now you might concider 29 quite old but I sure don't and he would be just hitting his prime. Now I would love to have Curtis back but this might not be possible as his price could be too high and he might want to go where he can have more playing time. I just hope if he does leave that Bruce stays healthy for the next couple of years because if he doesn't we could be in trouble.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast