Speedyroach is offline Registered User

Are football fans less loyal than bask/base?

I love all three sports. I am a Rams, Lakers, and Mets fan

I find though my perceptions of the players are different with baseball and basketball. In those two sports the rosters are husually consistent year to year. When a star players leaves its usually a big thing..sometimes changing the direction of the team. Fans in baseball feel like their hearts are being pulled out when a aging former franchise player moves on. Shaq moved to Miami and they won a champioship.

With football players seem so much more expendable. Free agency, salary caps have eaten the soul out of fan loyalty. A player will only be beloved if he has value and ...if he fails..even once..he finds himself unwanted and rushed out of town.

I start thinking about how high a draft pick we can get for our Greatest Receiver ever ...or maybe a third for our Greatest LT ever...

And let us not forget our Greatest QB....(no i don't want to think about that)

Business is business but don't you kind of think the great ones should leave with the appreciation and respect that seems to happen more consistently in baseball and basketball?

It just makes me wonder has the business of football changed how fans view star players and has also deminished a players loyalty to the team?

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Re: Are football fans less loyal than bask/base?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyroach View Post
    I love all three sports. I am a Rams, Lakers, and Mets fan
    Two out of threes not bad I am just sorry you live in NY otherwise you might root for someone other then "pond scum". Just joking I do like NY area just not the Mets. I think it was back in the 80's when the Cards used that term to describe the Mets because they were fierce rivals. I am sure the 2006 Cardinals really upset some Met fans. We had an 82 win team and won the World Series. The Mets had more talent but we just found a way to win with Suppan and Weaver as starting pitchers. I still have Met friends in NY and like to give them crap when they mess up or collapse. I also am a Laker Fan. Magic Johnsons game and Chick Hearns announcing hooked me. The bad thing was all their games start around 9 and end around 11:30CST.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -03-05-2009 at 08:34 PM.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

2 out of 3 for me. I like the real New York baseball team. Football has so many more players and has so many more roles to be filled than in any other sport so a player can leave and the team's image won't change too much(unless the player is a quarterback or runningback). Players in baseball and basketball can also play better for longer than they can in football.

Speedyroach is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    Two out of threes not bad I am just sorry you live in NY otherwise you might root for someone other then "pond scum". Just joking I do like NY area just not the Mets. I think it was back in the 80's when the Cards used that term to describe the Mets because they were fierce rivals. I am sure the 2006 Cardinals really upset some Met fans. We had an 82 win team and won the World Series. The Mets had more talent but we just found a way to win with Suppan and Weaver as starting pitchers. I still have Met friends in NY and like to give them crap when they mess up or collapse. I also am a Laker Fan. Magic Johnsons game and Chick Hearns announcing hooked me. The bad thing was all their games start around 9 and end around 11:30CST.
    Cards?? Well I just you can't help yourself living under the archs. Never forgive them for NLC..but you know baseball.we will meet again with Rodrieguez and Putz...the remedy to Phat Albert, who I must say is the best player in baseball ( or at least until he meets Putz Heat..but I digress.....

Dont you miss the old Larry Bird Celtics...basketball and sport at its highest form. Magic, Worthy, Kareem, Rambis...all working with the lakers now...too bad we don't do that with our Ram stars.