Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By macrammer

Thread: Football Gameplan's 2013 Wk 8 Preview - Rams vs Seahawks

EmDiggy is offline Registered User

Football Gameplan's 2013 Wk 8 Preview - Rams vs Seahawks

Good afternoon Rams fans! Good luck this week!

Em

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Football Gameplan's 2013 Wk 8 Preview - Rams vs Seahawks

Rub some dirt on it, ClanRam. It's Seahag week & Kellen Clemens is our QB. If I have to bump this goddamned game thread every hour I'm online till Mon night, I will. There are 52 other Rams to talk about, never mind a division rival. Let's talk some real football. Thanks for starting us off, Em.

I think Long will have a key role vs that rookie RT & to make up for his part in last week's mess. With the weak Ram safety play, it's hard to see the Rams holding the edge vs Wilson and Lynch without a monster game from the LB corp. The front seven's strong effort vs a pretty potent combo in Williams/Newton was obscured by all the drama but this is a different level.

I seriously doubt there will be much coherence to the Rams pass attack; there never is with Clemens. He is, however, fully capable of making all the throws if given the time. Just finished watching 2011 SF game with that late comeback. If the bowling ball, Stacy, can get rolling (a lot better interior runblocking and/or screens would be spiffy,too, if Santa is listening) & keep the D fresh to withstand the usual second half wave of Lynch pressure & keep the score close, KC has some more bullets in the gun than he did back then , who knows ? I expect to see plenty of the multi-TE sets so someone is going to have to win their 1-on-1 battle at a key moment & hope "Give em hell Kell" can hit the barndoor.

I think The Rams played one of the better defensive games SEA had to contend with at their cacophonous nest last year. It'll be interesting to see whether they've regressed overall.The Ram secondary is weaker but The Hags pass attack is less potent, Wilson less well-protected, & The Ram front seven is getting better. The SEA D is better but the Rams have added weapons in Austin and Cook who should be able to challenge them in a way that they couldn't last year with both speed and size. Neither quality will be useful if they don't catch the bloody ball,of course.

The X factor,of course, is the mental game. As AV opined earlier in the week, an early deficit might be devastating to their poise, especially vs the likes of Sherman. But the loss of their QB may also work in their favor to some extent, a circled wagons kind of deal.
    Personally, I'm excited to see how this team responds.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

We will rally around Kellen Clemens, and we will play good football - IF Clemens can play like a good QB...

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

Im hoping Davis gets a shot in a real game, I like his mobility, aggressiveness, arm, and youth. Clemens in my opinion is just an older less mobile, less aggressive Davis. We need a young guy to work on as a QB and Davis at least has the wheels to make a play when things break down, and as a rams fans we see alot of broken plays no matter WHO our QB is.
    Im afraid that our short passing game and lack of a commitment to the running game,along with having no CBs or Ss will get exposed monday night and our D will be tired by the second half no matter what our game plan is, but as always Ill watch and hope. . . . . GO RAMS!
    Last edited by dave626; -10-25-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    We will rally around Kellen Clemens, and we will play good football - IF Clemens can play like a good QB...
    With all due respect, Sam, I think you have that backwards; IF the other 52 guys play like they belong, ie stay cool, pay attention to the details of their job like catching the ball and not committing foolish penalties, then KC can be good enough to at least not be the weakest link. He was flingin' the ball vs SF in '11; the pick late in the game was a bad mistake but an aggressive one & a few more catches by Kendricks instead of drops and if Quick gets a chance, he must avoid DX's clunker at the end that snuffed the rally.

These guys are not unbeatable; watch their game vs The Cards. That OL is not playing well & their LB corp is more vulnerable than usual with Wagner dinged. If KC gets the pass pro Sam did for stretches over the last few games, I want to see guys like Austin and Cook make the plays Wilson gets every week from his support.

How do you circumcise a Seahawk ?

Kick his sister in the chin.....or Pete Carroll, depending on the day.

C'mon, people, let's get our hate on.

RAM29JACKSON is offline Registered User

they need to practice run plays during the game and toughen up. As 11 point underdogs no one is expecting a surprise. They just need to follow their basic game plan and not get penalized and leave with a little pride.

a couple late hits on Wilson for good measure wouldn't hurt either LOL..those penalties will be tolerated

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAM29JACKSON View Post
    a couple late hits on Wilson for good measure wouldn't hurt either LOL..those penalties will be tolerated
    Not by me they won't. The Rams HAVE to reign in these penalties. It is going to be enough of an uphill battle for the rest of the year, these constant self inflicted wounds need to be nipped in the bud. After the debacle last week, you know the refs are going to be watching extremely closely with one hand on the yellow flag at all times. Particularly when it comes to extra curricular activity after the whistle.

The whole "rally around Clemens and play good football" thing is dead on. If the Rams are going to stand a chance, it is time for these young guys on offense to start performing the way they were brought in to perform. Givens, Austin, and Cook were all lauded to be big time playmakers before the season started, its time for them to start acting that way. The defense also needs a strong performance and I think it begins with the D line. Seattle's offensive line has a rookie at RT and journeyman Pat McQuistan at LT. These are matchups that the ends should be able to exploit. Brockers has come on lately and that is going to have to continue if the Rams are going to have any prayer of containing Lynch. Finnegan is back this week and he says he feels like a whole new player. Hopefully that is true because whether they line him up against Tate or the returning Percy Harvin, he is going to need to play like the player he used to be and is being paid to be.

Seattle is probably one of the top 3 teams in the league. The Rams are using a pretty uninspiring backup QB and they aren't going to get any help out of the crowd. Even if Sam were playing, this would be one of the hardest games to win all year. But its the NFL and anything can happen at any time. I agree with Em and Azul - the TEAM needs to win this game, not Kellen Clemens. Maybe Jack Youngblood can fire the team up somehow before the game. Lord knows they are going to need all the help they can get.

RAM29JACKSON is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    Not by me they won't. The Rams HAVE to reign in these penalties. It is going to be enough of an uphill battle for the rest of the year, these constant self inflicted wounds need to be nipped in the bud. After the debacle last week, you know the refs are going to be watching extremely closely with one hand on the yellow flag at all times. Particularly when it comes to extra curricular activity after the whistle.

The whole "rally around Clemens and play good football" thing is dead on. If the Rams are going to stand a chance, it is time for these young guys on offense to start performing the way they were brought in to perform. Givens, Austin, and Cook were all lauded to be big time playmakers before the season started, its time for them to start acting that way. The defense also needs a strong performance and I think it begins with the D line. Seattle's offensive line has a rookie at RT and journeyman Pat McQuistan at LT. These are matchups that the ends should be able to exploit. Brockers has come on lately and that is going to have to continue if the Rams are going to have any prayer of containing Lynch. Finnegan is back this week and he says he feels like a whole new player. Hopefully that is true because whether they line him up against Tate or the returning Percy Harvin, he is going to need to play like the player he used to be and is being paid to be.

Seattle is probably one of the top 3 teams in the league. The Rams are using a pretty uninspiring backup QB and they aren't going to get any help out of the crowd. Even if Sam were playing, this would be one of the hardest games to win all year. But its the NFL and anything can happen at any time. I agree with Em and Azul - the TEAM needs to win this game, not Kellen Clemens. Maybe Jack Youngblood can fire the team up somehow before the game. Lord knows they are going to need all the help they can get.
    you know as well as I do modern players don't give a flying damn about who played before them until they are about to retire and realize its all the same in the end

macrammer is offline Registered User

This is a very interesting game for me. How do the Rams respond after losing their QB? As Azul mentions it, there are 52 guys on that team........They are all professionals. Can they stop the self inflicting wounds of 2013? If they can play smart, limit the mental errors they can play with the Hags for sure. The key will be there ability to not let the game get away early I think they will play much better mentally.
    RealRam likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Rams notebook:
    Stacy, Rams look to 'keep the process going' without Bradford

By Joe Lyons | STL P-D
    Oct. 27, 2013 a.m.

As a senior at Vanderbilt University, Rams rookie running back Zac Stacy set career marks for rushing yards (3,143) and touchdowns (30).
    All 30 of his scores came on the ground.

Last weekend, in the Rams’ 30-15 road loss to the Carolina Panthers, Stacy picked up his first professional touchdown when he hauled in a 4-yard pass from Sam Bradford with just under 5½ minutes to play in the third quarter.

“A little bit of a surprise I guess, but I've been working on my pass-catching,’’ he said. “It was kind of hard, coming in a loss, but it’s still a good milestone. That touchdown in that game didn’t mean a whole lot, but hopefully there will be more in my career that I’ll be able to celebrate.’’

A key figure in the Rams’ revitalized run game in recent weeks, Stacy rushed 17 times for 53 yards and caught four passes for 34 yards and a touchdown against the Panthers. And he figures to be busy again when the Rams (3-4) host the Seattle Seahawks (6-1) for a key NFC West showdown on Monday Night Football from the Edward Jones Dome.

But even with Bradford out with a season-ending knee injury, Stacy stressed that it’s been business as usual this week at Rams Park.

“Losing Sam obviously hurts, but (back-up quarterback Kellen Clemens) is going to get the job done,’’ said Stacy, who has rushed for 214 yards while averaging 4.3 per carry. “It’s not just the running game that has to step up, it’s everybody on the team. As a team, we just have to stick together, to continue working to keep the process going.’’

Defensively, the Seahawks are ranked second overall — they’re sixth against the run and second against the pass. But that seems to be par for the course for the Rams, who are coming off games against No. 1 Houston and No. 3 Carolina.

“It’s what you deal with in this league,’’ Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said. “Even the ones that are down there at 31, 32, they’re pretty good, too. Obviously, we know these guys; they are clearly one of the best defenses in the league. Excellent front seven. They went out and spent a lot of money on extra pass rushers ... and their secondary is probably the best in football.’’

Stacy echoed that: “We all know about Seattle. Just an all-around outstanding unit. We still prepare the same way and we’re still going to play to our strengths. It all comes down to execution.’’

Off to their best start in franchise history, the Seahawks are not about to let down now. At least not if head coach Pete Carroll has anything to say about it.

“We have tremendous respect for Jeff Fisher and the work he does,’’ Carroll said. “I know they would love to have (Bradford) and we understand that, but this is a team that can beat you in a lot of ways. They beat us with their field goal team last year, so we understand and respect the heck out of this matchup.

“We know that (Clemens) has been around and that he’s familiar with that system. He’s played plenty of good football in the past and we expect him to be at his best.’’

======================================================

INJURY REPORT

Rams center Scott Wells started practice but did not finish Saturday afternoon at Rams Park. With what was reported as a thigh injury, Wells is questionable for Monday.

“Scott was a little tight at the beginning of practice,’’ Rams head coach Jeff Fisher explained, noting that Mizzou product Tim Barnes is the next man up. “We’ve done a good job with Tim; he’s prepared to go in both guard spots and the center spot.’’

Barnes, a second-year pro from Longwood, Mo., said he’ll continue to prepare as he always does.

“Just part of the job. Every week, I have to prepare to play, just in case something comes up and I’m needed, at any of the inside spots,’’ the 25-year-old said. “Getting those extra reps, though, it’s kind of bonus really because it gives you that much more opportunity to get some work in.’’

But even Barnes is hopeful Wells will be ready to play Monday.

“I’m the back-up, my role it so be ready if something happens,’’ Barnes said. “Hopefully it doesn’t. But if Scott can’t go, I need to be ready.’’

The Rams’ injury report also includes cornerback Cortland Finnegan (hamstring) and running back/kick returner Benny Cunningham (ankle). Like Wells, Finnegan and Cunningham are questionable — 50/50 — for the game.

Neither practiced Saturday, although Cunningham worked on the side and continues to make progress. Finnegan, who has missed three games after going down in the Thursday night loss to San Francisco on Sept. 26, was limited in practice Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and took treatment on Saturday.

“‘Cort’ did not practice today, had a good session inside,’’ Fisher said.

For Seattle, fullback Derrick Coleman (hamstring), tackle Breno Giacomini (knee) and safety Jeron Johnson (hamstring) have not practiced all week and have been ruled out for Monday.Three other Seahawks — linebacker Bobby Wagner (knee), receiver Golden Tate (shoulder) and running back Christine Michael (illness) practiced on Saturday and are probable.

Wagner, the Seahawks middle linebacker, missed the last two games with a high ankle sprain.

Seattle receiver Percy Harvin returned to practice this week for the first time but remains on the physically unable to perform list and will not play against the Rams. Harvin, who was acquired in a trade with Minnesota in the offseason, had hip surgery to repair a torn labrum in early August.

An inactive Harvin is certainly a break for The Rams. Kinda wondering if an inactive Wells wouldn't be,too. I think Barnes & Clemens have probably worked together more as the primary back-up at their spot & Wells got crushed in the run game vs CAR. You'd like SW's experience with line calls but ....