MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Former 49er Lewis gives Rams some tips ..

BY JIM THOMAS Friday, November 12, 2010 12:15 am

Since joining the Rams 2 weeks ago, veteran safety Michael Lewis has steadfastly declined to talk about what went wrong in San Francisco.

But he apparently has done plenty of talking to Rams offensive personnel this week, giving them tips and tendencies on the San Francisco defense a defense for which he made 50 starts from 2007 until his ***** release Oct. 4.

"We're trying to win the game," Lewis said. "So whatever we need to do we need to do to win the game."

Then he added with a smile: "The coaching staff, they've done a great job of doing their homework on the *****. And that's pretty much all I'll say."

So, he's offered them some insight?

"Of course, because I was the starting strong safety there," Lewis said. "I pretty much know the defense. We've talked."

Has quarterback Sam Bradford leaned on Lewis a little bit this week?

"We've talked," Lewis said.

He has also talked to running back Steven Jackson.

"Yeah, he's helped me out a little bit," Jackson said. "I won't share it with you guys, but he's definitely told me some things that (the *****) feel when they get ready to face us in particular me, myself how they would like to approach the game plan and things like that. So, it has helped a little bit. And now it's up to me to make sure that I take advantage of the news he's given me."

Prior to joining the *****, Lewis played for Philadelphia from 2002 through 2006, so he knows coach Steve Spagnuolo and offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur from their days on the Eagles' staff.

"I've got a long relationship with Mike from his days in Philadelphia," Shurmur said. "He's given us some insight, but we've got to really be careful about making sure we do what we do, and then take advantage of some of the things that he's talked to us about. But it's going to be more about us and making sure we execute."

When it became obvious that Lewis was about to lose his starting job to rookie Taylor Mays, Lewis told the ***** to either trade him or release him. He got his wish Oct. 4. Lewis wasn't active for the Rams against Carolina, but he's expected to dress Sunday at Candlestick Park.

"It's not a personnel vendetta, going out there trying to hurt somebody, or doing something like that," Lewis said when asked about playing his old team. "If I'm 'up,' I'm out there trying to help this team win a game."

Diggs, Saffold leave practice

Linebacker Na'il Diggs and left tackle Rodger Saffold were unable to finish practice Thursday because of injuries. Both were listed as limited on the Rams' official injury report.

Diggs collided with teammate Craig Dahl during 11-on-11 work and watched the rest of practice with ice on his right shin. Spagnuolo said after practice that Diggs was scheduled for X-rays on the leg.

Saffold woke up Thursday morning with a sore left shoulder. He started to practice, then was held out as a precautionary measure. Saffold said he's playing Sunday.

After missing Wednesday's practice, safety James Butler (ankle) got limited work Thursday. Rookie tight end Fendi Onobun practiced for the first time in a couple of weeks after missing time because of a bulging disc in his back.

Working on swagger

For the first time in his young career, linebacker James Laurinaitis recorded a sack and an interception in the same game against Carolina. The son of the former pro wrestler known as "The Animal," Laurinaitis celebrated the sack with a salute to Hulk Hogan and the interception with a salute to Ric Flair.

"You can blame Ron Bartell for those creative moves," Laurinaitis said. "He told me after the Oakland game, when I got that sack, that my celebrations were average to below average. So, I'm trying to make my teammates proud."

It goes beyond that. Laurinaitis said he was dismayed to learn he had a low 'swagger" rating on the Madden NFL 11 video game.

"I don't know how I have the least amount of swagger out of the whole linebacking room," Laurinaitis deadpanned.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Former 49er Lewis gives Rams some tips ..

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    BY JIM THOMAS Friday, November 12, 2010 12:15 am

Saffold woke up Thursday morning with a sore left shoulder. He started to practice, then was held out as a precautionary measure. Saffold said he's playing Sunday..
    This is what I like to see. Players that want to play. Spags has done a great job with changing the attitude of our team.

GO RAMS!

bruce4life is offline Registered User

can anyone get links to JL hulk hogan and rick flair celebration?

supachump is offline Registered User

Low swagger on Madden? LOL!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Lewis giving us some good insight against the Whiners and J-Lau working on swagger..

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Those tips worked so well - cut him!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

off with the head
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8